The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dr_who_and_the_daleks_1965_british.jpg

The redesign is actually much closer to the classic incarnation than what the daleks had become, the rings are closer together and the midsection where the weapons emerge is very similar too. The varied colours also fit with this to some extent, although the need for an orange dalek is a mystery to me. I get that they wanted a yellow, they needed a lib dem Dalek for the Radio times cover to match the tory and labour, and white is a colour that's been used before but not recently so I'm fine with them throwing that in. Still, I'd have gone with something else instead of orange. Maybe grey or black. I'd have been fine with green but the political subtext might have been an issue.

I liked it because it did a really great job setting up things to come: Amy not remembering the Dalek invasion, The Doctor's eventual investigation into the mystery, and, of course, a new Dalek race.

That they can now use the Dalek's without having to rely on the "you fell through a crack in time" / "escaped the Void" trick is greatly appreciated, 'cause it was getting old.

I also really loved seeing The Doctor unleash his anger on the Dalek's. We haven't seen him lash out like that since Eccleston tortured the one in the first modern season.

Did Amy have a lot to do? No, but this episode wasn't about her; it was about renewing the feud between The Doctor and his oldest enemies. Now anything they do is on him. Granted, he saved the planet, but what other - and how many other - planets will fall because he allowed them to escape. That's going to mess with his head.

Somewhat harsh as a review, methinks.

Well, as I said to a friend of mine, you need the crap episodes sometimes to enjoy the good ones even more. This was a set up episode. It's not something I'm going to watch again till I buy the entire series on DVD. I did like the idea the Daleks had, but yeah, the episode started great, but then fell down hill, which is similar to last weeks. It's too early to say, but I really hope it is not a recurring thing now. Smith's Doctor was good in the episode, I'll say that.

I love what BBC America is doing with Doctor Who. They will love and promote this show in a way Syfy never came close to doing.

I got caught up in the 20 inning game. What'd they do?

They're just handling it really well. Airing the episodes uncut, promoting the living bejeezus out of it, making it a tentpole show, and airing the "Ultimate Guide" so as to catch new viewers up. They really get that this could be a huge (well, huge for BBC America) ratings-grabber for them.

Wasn't a horrible episode, just not something I'd rush to watch again.

Good

"No, we created you."

"There's always a blue wire... or a red one". "You're not helping."

The preview for next episode.

Bad

So, Winston knows of and accepts the concept of a time-traveling alien, but is skeptical when it's suggested to him that the robot pepper pots may be alien too?

Rainbow Daleks that seem to be more a toy advert than anything.

The redesign on the Daleks is actually pretty easy to understand. The new Daleks were made by an older device so they might be a technological throwback. It's an interesting idea. I do admit though, I found myself thinking, "Go, go Dalek rangers" when they revealed themselves. As for the episode, it was okay. It furthers the mystery of Amy but Churchill was a little one-note. All in all, not one of the great episodes but still not the worst I've seen of the new series.

some exciting news about the Sarah Jane Adventures under the spoiler cut and at the link (spoilers obv)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/04_april/19/sj_adventures.shtml

Sarah Jane Smith is reunited with another of The Doctor's former companions, Jo Grant (Katy Manning), in a new series of The Sarah Jane Adventures, set to air on CBBC this autumn. They'll be joined by The Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith), in a special edition of the show penned by executive producer Russell T Davies.

The two episodes will see The Doctor and his two former time-travelling partners caught up in an alien-busting adventure that will entertain Doctor Who fans of all ages.

Elisabeth Sladen, who plays Sarah Jane comments: "It's a fantastic script and I can't wait to work with another Doctor and hope Matt has fun with us. I've known Katy for ages and I am delighted to be working with her. I last met her in LA but this time we will be in Cardiff. LA was good but Cardiff is better."

Katy Manning, who recently returned to live in the UK again, adds: "Playing Jo Grant again is something I never really considered. I was gob-smacked when they told me and I am over the moon. What an incredible little treat. I come home and this is one of the first things that happens."

Executive producer Nikki Wilson says: "We are absolutely thrilled to be introducing Sarah Jane and the gang to both The Eleventh Doctor and Jo Grant, and to have a script penned by Russell T Davies is the icing on the cake!

"Viewers are in for a real treat, with an action-packed story full of Russell's usual wit and warmth, which takes the gang inside a secret base beneath Snowdon and introduces brand-new vulture aliens, the mysterious Shansheeth. All this, plus a trip to an alien planet a first for The Sarah Jane Adventures."

Featuring the usual mixture of thrills, laughs and scares, the fourth series promises fun with enemies old and new, including the terrors of the Nightmare Man and a dangerous journey back into history.

A galaxy of guest stars are lined up to appear in the series and include Laila Rouass (Primeval, Footballers Wives) and Cheryl Campbell (Pennies From Heaven), whilst David Bradley (Argus Filch in Harry Potter) will provide the voice of the Shansheeth.

The Sarah Jane Adventures is executive produced by Nikki Wilson and Russell T Davies and produced by Brian Minchin.

Writers on the fourth series include Phil Ford (also co-producer), Joseph Lidster, Rupert Laight, Gareth Roberts and Clayton Hickman. The Sarah Jane Adventures is a BBC Cymru Wales/Children's BBC production.

and my first thought

A Chance to see RTD writing for the 11th Doctor..should be interesting :-)

Upon re-watching it, Ian McNeice does play Winston Churchill as more of a caricature than a historical representation of the man. However, also upon re-watching it, I think that was the point. It very much seemed like it was supposed to be a pro-Allies (RE: propaganda) film from the 1940s and 50s, what with the woman losing her military boyfriend, the flag being raised at the end, and Churchill being larger than life.

If that's the case, here's something else: Amy's name sounds like it's from a fairy tale, The Beast Below had a nursery rhyme, and then there was this movie-like WWII episode. Maybe they're going for something here, as it pertains to the overall story / mystery that is.

good news

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/04/19/doctor-who-premiere-bbc-americas-highest-rated-telecast-ever/20100419bbca02/

DOCTOR WHO PREMIERE - BBC AMERICA'S HIGHEST RATED TELECAST EVER

April 19, 2010, New York, NY- Doctor Who, in a new era for the iconic series, broke BBC AMERICA ratings records with its season premiere this past Saturday, April 17, delivering 1.2 million viewers in Live + Same Day - BBC AMERICA's highest rated telecast ever. Additionally, it was the best Live + Same Day A25-54 delivery ever and ranked BBC AMERICA #2 among all ad supported cable nets in its time period (9-10:10PM) among coverage rating. Doctor Who is also currently the #1 TV series in the iTunes store.

Interesting article here

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=eye_tv&issue=1260

My favourite bit

At a recent screening, the unveiling of the chunkier, clunkier and frankly less frightening nu-Daleks was watched in silence until, at the end, one audience member put his hand up and asked: "Are they actually finished, or are you going to replace them with some better CGI?

Interesting article here

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=eye_tv&issue=1260

My favourite bit

At a recent screening, the unveiling of the chunkier, clunkier and frankly less frightening nu-Daleks was watched in silence – until, at the end, one audience member put his hand up and asked: "Are they actually finished, or are you going to replace them with some better CGI?”

Private Eye is essential reading for me whenever I'm going somewhere by train. They do hold everything to a high standard, which is why the tone might be a tad cynical. In fairness, spending £1m to cash in on the nonsense 3D movement at a time when the BBC is facing sustained criticism about how it uses its money is pretty boneheaded IMO. The finished article was alright, but hardly worth a cool million.

And as for the reaction to the Daleks, that goes back to my problem with how the story was written.