Forget Man of Steel, WB To Adapt a Darker Reboot of Superman

I was gone the last few days so I did not see it. I highly doubt this will go well. Superman is not a dark character like Batman. I'm thinking that this may turn into the Black suited Superman with S shield Daggers or whatever it was from the production of all the kooky Jon Peters/Tim Burton stuff. I’m very scared of what may happen to our big blue boy scout and sad that Brandon Routh, who was a good Sups and is not in enough, will obviously be out in the cold. I just HOPE it will turn out ok. :unsure:

Sucks to be Brandon Routh, I guess.

Also, if this is a proper reboot, Luthor HAS to be involved. I just hope he can be more of a presence with a more disposable foe in the foreground to battle Supes. The ONLY porblem I can see with this is that there is a HELL of a lot of ground to cover in a two hour reboot. The DCAU Superman series works because the universe is set up at a gradual pace.

And yes, Superman the character can't be dark. The world he has to save, maybe, but it has to stray away from Nolan's Bat-universe, as Gotham is a pretty shiny place in there to begin with.

I read an interview with actor Jack O'Halloran(Non from Superman: The Movie & Superman II)and he suggested something, I actually never thought about. Why not Richard Donner? If Richard Donner was to take the reigns once more, we all know it would be the best possible Superman sequel to come out. He would treat the material with respect, not make him dark. Maybe he can do what he had planned back in 1976 when he signed on to do the Superman/Superman II films.

I personally would love this and wouldn't mind it being another sequel to Superman II and not a reboot(ignoring Superman 3, 4 and Returns).

I read an interview with actor Jack O'Halloran(Non from Superman: The Movie & Superman II)and he suggested something, I actually never thought about. Why not Richard Donner?

I imagine he got quite a bit out of his system when he was co-writing Action Comics. Also, he was kind of responsible for Superman Returns (He gave his blessing to Bryan Singer's story), so the producers might be a little wary of using him.

I read an interview with actor Jack O'Halloran(Non from Superman: The Movie & Superman II)and he suggested something, I actually never thought about. Why not Richard Donner?

I imagine he got quite a bit out of his system when he was co-writing Action Comics. Also, he was kind of responsible for Superman Returns (He gave his blessing to Bryan Singer's story), so the producers might be a little wary of using him.

How was his run on Action Comics?

I have a feeling that producers might be more weary on the basis that it's 30 years on since the original film was released. Superman's world is very different to that of Christopher Reeve's and whilst Donner may have a good grasp of the mythos (I'm basing this on the original film and director's cut of the second film - I have no other evidence to support this), he'd have to apply it very differently. Singer tried to update the mythos, but failed. Warner Brothers REALLY need to approach people who can adapt Superman to the screen in a respectful, modern way.

I still shudder at the Burton/Peters 90s vision of the character. Say what you will about Superman Returns, and I have, but at least in this version Superman flies and wears a costume that resembles that of his comics counterpart...... <_<

I have a feeling that producers might be more weary on the basis that it's 30 years on since the original film was released. Superman's world is very different to that of Christopher Reeve's and whilst Donner may have a good grasp of the mythos (I'm basing this on the original film and director's cut of the second film - I have no other evidence to support this), he'd have to apply it very differently. Singer tried to update the mythos, but failed. Warner Brothers REALLY need to approach people who can adapt Superman to the screen in a respectful, modern way.

I still shudder at the Burton/Peters 90s vision of the character. Say what you will about Superman Returns, and I have, but at least in this version Superman flies and wears a costume that resembles that of his comics counterpart...... <_<

I still wish they had done Kevin Smith's script. Say what you will of his movies, but that was the closest to the source script I ever read from a comic character.

I still wish they had done Kevin Smith's script. Say what you will of his movies, but that was the closest to the source script I ever read from a comic character.

You mean the script where Kevin Smith had to head to Jon Peters script requirements. You know where he doesn't have the Red and Blue, doesn't fly and Brainiac fights killer Abominable Snowmen in front of the Fortress of Solitude? Also the one with the big giant spider at the end?

You mean the script where Kevin Smith had to head to Jon Peters script requirements. You know where he doesn't have the Red and Blue, doesn't fly and Brainiac fights killer Abominable Snowmen in front of the Fortress of Solitude? Also the one with the big giant spider at the end?

Have you read the script? I don't remember any of that in it. I think you might be confusing it with the story he told on An Evening with Kevin Smith.

Here is a copy: http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts...ves-script.html

Mark Millar (Wanted) talked to G4 about his proposed Superman movie project which has a mysterious American director attached. They pitched the idea to Warner Bros. Pictures and hope to get word over the next few weeks. If the studio decides to go with their version, they'd like to be shooting by next summer:

"I've had this plan for like 10 years for a big three-picture Superman thing, like a Lord of the Rings epic, starting over from scratch again with a seven-hour Superman story. One to be released each year." Millar said.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=7634

There is a video at the link. Is he really drinking a beer in a comic book store? Oh, and when he does start talking about Superman it's hard to stay interested. That's the when the redhead in a bikini decides to start eating Twizzlers behind him.

• 1 month later...