Random wrestling thoughts

One mass post to rule them all.

DEBUNKING TNA MONDAY RUMORS, TNA CREATIVE RUMORS AND MORE

by Mike Johnson @ 10:47 PM on 10/28/2009

Several top TNA officials, including Dixie Carter and creative head Vince Russo had a meeting with SpikeTV officials in New York City to work on strategies going forward. It was something that had been planned well in advance of yesterday's announcement that Hulk Hogan was coming into the company as the two sides meet several times a year to go over different aspects of the synergy between TNA and Spike.

Numerous sources have noted that Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff are not taking over the creative reigns of the company, despite what has been claimed elsewhere. I am sure Hogan will have creative control over how he is used, but Vince Russo, Ed Ferrara, etc. are not being replaced.

In regard to rumors of TNA being moved to Mondays, there is nothing to that at this time, according to SpikeTV sources. TNA's production schedule is set through April of 2010 while house show tours are already booked through May. Spike wants to continue to build Impact as their destination show for Thursdays, one of the reasons the Saturday replay was eliminated a few weeks back.

Next.

The short term memory of people in the wrestling business amazes me. Hogan booking WCW is part of what killed it.

I wonder what gimmick Brutus Beefcake is going to have this time.

Hogan never booked WCW. He had creative control over his character, which meant that if he wanted to win a match, not wrestle, challenge Ric Flair to an apple pie strap match, or go out in the middle of the ring and get biblical with two fetid goats and a calf, WCW was contractually obligated to let him. That's why there's heat with him and Russo and why there were grounds for a lawsuit with WCW.

Oh, and Beefcake is going to be Legends Champion within the year. Mark my words.

Let's cover some of the 'mistakes' that they think they won't do, but we know they will.....

- Giving away the most anticipated match of the year (Goldberg vs Hogan) on TV instead of as a PPV match (although I actually thought that made sense at the time)

6. They need to get people to watch the show, then build up the PPVs. Right now they do the opposite. Nobody is going to spend money on something they won't even watch for free.

TNA's business model is slightly different than other wrestling promotions, past and present, in that their main source of revenue comes from advertising on Impact and the Spike TV deal. In fact, Spike is paying for Hogan and Bischoff much like they are paying for Angle. So when their PPV's are meant to attract viewers to Impact and not vice-versa, then they are only mostly ass-backwards, instead of completely.

Still, this whole thing leaves me scratching my head. I can see bringing Hogan in a couple of times to boost the rating and attract new viewers to the product, but a long term working deal is... I don't have the words for it. And the fact that Ric Flair might have to do something with TNA due to the agreement with Bischoff is both sad and laughable. It's like I said a couple of months ago...

TNA is like Elmer Fudd. Every time they have that wascally wabbit in their sights, they somehow manage to flip the barrel around and shoot themselves in the face.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They wasted their money on so many ex WWE guys it's pathetic. The ratings are the same as they have been for a long time. Bringing Hogan in will bring ratings up, but him having control over his character, and bringing his buddies with him will hurt them in the long term. Hogan isn't a normal wrestler. He is above everyone else, and he wouldn't be coming to TNA if he wasn't making a sweet payday and getting a hand in the decisions being made.

Both Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair's profiles have been removed from the Alumni section of WWE.com.

I think this is petty. They are still Alumni even if they go somewhere else.

Both Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair's profiles have been removed from the Alumni section of WWE.com.

I think this is petty. They are still Alumni even if they go somewhere else.

I agree it's petty, but doesn't even make any sense. If people watch TNA, see Flair, then google Flair, and the WWE site comes up, isn't that a good thing for WWE? What is the harm in leaving them up?

Hogan never booked WCW. He had creative control over his character, which meant that if he wanted to win a match, not wrestle, challenge Ric Flair to an apple pie strap match, or go out in the middle of the ring and get biblical with two fetid goats and a calf, WCW was contractually obligated to let him. That's why there's heat with him and Russo and why there were grounds for a lawsuit with WCW.

It was never his official title, but there was a point in time in which no main event angle could happen without Hogan's approval.

There was actually a story in Bret Hart's autobiography when he was talking about doing the metal plate angle with Goldberg. Bret told Bischoff the idea and Bischoff suggested that after Bret took the spear and laid out Goldberg, Hogan would come out and lay out Bret. Then the conversation went as follows.

Bret: Why would we do that? Am I going to be feuding with Hogan?

Bischoff: No.

Bret: Is Goldberg going to be feuding with Hogan?

Bischoff: Nope.

Bret: Then why would he even come out at all?

Bischoff: Um... well... I have to ask Hogan's permission if you want to do it your way.

(Bischoff nervously walks off.)

Hulk confirmed that he will be in charge, and that he was hired to "turn the company around".

Regarding Vince Russo, Hulk said that he had no intention of firing Vince once he took over but he said that anyone who doesn't have anything good to contribute to TNA is going to be gotten rid of.

Also, it was hinted that Hulk has been in touch with both Flair and Macho Man about coming to TNA.

It was never his official title, but there was a point in time in which no main event angle could happen without Hogan's approval.

There was actually a story in Bret Hart's autobiography when he was talking about doing the metal plate angle with Goldberg. Bret told Bischoff the idea and Bischoff suggested that after Bret took the spear and laid out Goldberg, Hogan would come out and lay out Bret. Then the conversation went as follows.

Bret: Why would we do that? Am I going to be feuding with Hogan?

Bischoff: No.

Bret: Is Goldberg going to be feuding with Hogan?

Bischoff: Nope.

Bret: Then why would he even come out at all?

Bischoff: Um... well... I have to ask Hogan's permission if you want to do it your way.

(Bischoff nervously walks off.)

He mentioned in his shoot interview with RF video, back in 2000 that another thing Bischoff said was "Go out and say to the Canadian fans "What have you done for me lately!?" and really rile them up"

Mickie James is going to be a country singer after she leaves WWE, which looks likely to be pretty soon.

Mickie James recently hired Nashville-based image consultant/stylist Lori Bumgarner to help further her burgeoning country music career. Click here to see a photo of the two together backstage at the Grand Ole Opry. The multi-time Women's Champion is listed as a "singer/songwriter."

In Rey Mysterio's new book, he said he was in rehab last year for prescription drugs. He was in rehab last year, and failed the wellness program this year. He's got some issues.

So, if he went last year, wouldn't that mean september was his third strike?

That will really get people to start asking questions.

He said he checked himself into rehab, so he might not have failed last year.

In Rey Mysterio's new book, he said he was in rehab last year for prescription drugs. He was in rehab last year, and failed the wellness program this year. He's got some issues.

So, if he went last year, wouldn't that mean september was his third strike?

That will really get people to start asking questions.

This was still only the first strike. The suspensions due to being on pharmacy lists didn't count towards the strikes policy. That's why Rey was only out 30 days, if it had been his second strike he should have been out 60.

Also, it was hinted that Hulk has been in touch with both Flair and Macho Man about coming to TNA.

All three of them need to realize their time is past and they need to step away from the ring. If they wrestle again, all they would do is tarnish their legacies.

Theirs a rumour going round that WWE is going to induct the Ultimate Warrior into the hall of fame next year.

Yeah, they'll induct Macho Man first and that'll never happen. WWE isn't quite so starved of guys to induct that they'll turn to Warrior as a headline guy, especially after they made a DVD set chewing to guy out for being utterly insane and an asshole to boot. Warrior hates them, and they really don't want to do business with that guy, let alone give him an open mike at a public event.

That being said I don't know how many big names are left uninducted. Ted Dibiase? If they were going to do The Rock now would be the time, he's going to be pretty visible when he guest hosts Raw early next year. Michaels and Taker would be two big names but its uncertain whether either will retire before or at Mania, although Taker certainly should. Guys who should be in but won't be also include Kurt Angle and Mick Foley, although right now its entirely understandable why they are not current prospects. The biggest crimes right now are Dibiase and Savage, they are the last two legends of the 80's revolution that are not in, and Macho Man practically was Mr Wrestlemania, he had the best match on almost any of the Mania shows he was on.

There are still a ton of guys for them to induct. Off the top of my head.

Alive

Jake Roberts

Sting

Ted Dibiase

Randy Savage

Barry Windham

Lex Luger

Honky Tonk Man

Jim Duggan

Sabu

Midnight Express

Rock and Rock Express

Dead

About 8 million guys including

Karl Gotch

Lou Thesz

Owen Hart

Rick Rude

Earthquake

Half of the WCCW/AWA rosters.

• 2 weeks later...
It was reported this past September that the lawsuit Warrior (a.k.a. Ultimate Warrior) had filed against World Wrestling Entertainment in January 2006 regarding its DVD release on him, Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior, was thrown out. Judge Douglas L. Rayes ruled that Warrior could not sue for damages over the company's comments towards him on the title because he had made "publicly disparaging claims" against WWE (on his website). It was also ruled that Warrior would have to pay WWE's attorney costs and expenses in defending themselves against his breach of contract lawsuit — a total of $18,967.46.

They actually settled and Warrior doesn't have to pay. I'm guessing we'll see him in the Hall of Fame as a stipulation for them waiving his 19 grand attorney's fee. Either way, that had to hurt his pride. First a dvd that shit all over him, and then losing to them in the lawsuit.

As for who I'd like to see inducted:

Jim Duggan is the one that springs to my mind. Maybe the Freebirds also.

I think he'd be willing to do it just to try and repair his reputation, get a WWE video package out there highlighting the positives and he can live off the publicity for a while. On the other hand I can't see any way that its not monumentally stupid to give this guy a live mic on any of WWE's public forums. Only guy in wrestling who says worse things is the Iron Sheik, and they only let him on RAW because no-one could ever take him seriously.