The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, a cat is the best mouse deterrent you can have.

QFT. A while back I was undergoing a bit of a mouse issue. I set traps, I called people to take care of them, but the mice laughed and kept right on doing what they were doing. I volunteered to watch my sister's cat for a while, and it went NUTS. It would not rest until every last mouse was dead.

Normally I would post this in the "I need to vent" thread, but I not even remotely pissed off enough to warrent that.

For those of you who are unaware, I was laid off from my job last Thursday. I view this a blessing in disguise. Until I find a new job, I can work on my book and other writings to be ready for publication. Unfortunately, it may mean that due to money contraints, I can only spend one day at C2E2 with all of you.

I am currently searching for a new job, which is a level of annoyance that I have not experienced in years. I shall keep you all posted on developments as they occur.

My roommate is sick. Not something that I would generally be annoyed at, but the fact he has done nothing about it pisses me off.

I got sick two weeks ago, I got some medicine, took said medicine and got better in a few days. He got sick two days after me, hasn't taken anything (for no other reason that he is lazy) and has not gotten better.

At this very moment, his non-stop coughing have made it impossible to concentrate on anything. Worse yet, he is watching some stand-up on his laptop. EVERY FUCKING TIME he laughs, he has a coughing fit.

Now I am stuck in the situation where I have told him it is annoying me yet he still does nothing. I even gave him the pills I took to get better and he won't take them (and he will not give me any reason why). I cannot just go to another room, as there is only three rooms I can go and I can hear him in all three. I could leave, but my house is where my stuff is.

The father of my very first girlfriend is dying. He's currently resting as best as possible at a hospice, and they've given him days to live. So on her Facebook page, this old girlfriend of mine has been updating everyone about her father's status. And just recently, one of her friends wrote:

Hang in there, u got to be strong. It all works out in the end.

How fucking insensitive is that?!

Okay, I know it's hard to come up with the right words to comfort someone who's losing a loved one, but "it all works out in the end" is all kinds of wrong. This man is dying. Period. There is no bouncing back. Oh, but it'll work itself out.

Fucking hell!

This doesn't have anything to do with me personally, so I shouldn't get worked up, but her father was always good to me. Always! He never treated me like shit for wanting to get into his daughter's pants (he actually wanted me to marry her); day or night, I was always welcome in his home; and even after that relationship ended, he continued to be warm and friendly towards me. So yeah, even though I haven't seen him in years, what that person posted ticked me off.

Grey hound is a bunch of idiots, my friend is coming to live with me this weekend and her transfers read as follow: Dallas, arrival 10pm 15 March, departure 1130pm 15 March, Phoenix, arrival 10pm 16 March, departure 11pm 15 March. I was looking forward to seeing her on Friday like her ticket says she's going to arrive in San Diego, so either Gery Hound are Time Lords or they're idiots.

People are batshit insane.

"Is this commissions?!?!?"

"No, this is licensing."

"I'm trying to reach commissions!"

"Well, I can transfer -"

"This is my third time calling!"

"Let me take you over to-"

"I talked to someone yesterday, and then I talked to someone earlier today, and now I'm talking to you!"

"If you'll hold, I can-"

"I got a check to my house, addressed to my husband, and I need to talk to a commissions person!"

"I can put you through to commissions if you'll-"

"Maybe you can help me!"

"No, because-"

Then she goes inter her problem, not stopping for breath, literally, for about ten minutes. "Now how are you going to help me?"

"I'm not. I'm going to give you to commissions, who are the people who actually CAN help you."

"Then why did I just waste my time talking to you?"

"...hold, please."

I probably talk to about a hundred people a day. The vast majority of them are professional and pleasant. But the law of averages, coupled with the fact that the financial industry attracts a certain personality type, dictates that at least once a week, I get someone who is A) a raging asshole, B) clinically, dangerously insane, or C) both.

On the flip side, If you've spent 20 minutes on hold, then end up in the wrong department because the voice recognition didn't understand you properly or what you wanted wasn't one of the 4 options to press, then you're told that you need to be transferred, which you know will result in more time on hold, that can get frustrating as well.

It's not your fault, but there is a chance they were a perfectly reasonable person before they got on the phone to whatever company is using the 'latest' technology to funnel their incoming calls.

I get what you're saying, and totally sympathize, but I also get a lot more "Taxes?!? I didn't shoot down over three (i.e., four) Japanese back in the Big One so that I would have to pay taxes!" than a reasonable person should have to deal with.

In other news, just sent an email to Graphitti Designs:

"Today I received my order of the Superman logo T-shirt. Thank you for getting it to me so quickly. However, there is one issue; the picture on the website is that of the pre-1983 logo with the square, blockier lettering; what I received is the modern, more rounded design. I purchased this shirt with the understanding it was going to be the older logo."

Oh my CHRIST I am such a sad nerd.

Part of it is that not too long ago, I would TOTALLY have said "Well, it's CLOSE to what I wanted, and I hate to make a fuss, and it's really fine I guess..." but the fact remains that it isn't what I ordered. However, there's that part of me that's mentally pushing my glasses up my nose as I go on about how what I wanted was the 1940's logo and this is CLEARLY the 1980s logo.

I get what you're saying, and totally sympathize, but I also get a lot more "Taxes?!? I didn't shoot down over three (i.e., four) Japanese back in the Big One so that I would have to pay taxes!" than a reasonable person should have to deal with.
Haha, fair call, I didn't think of all the nineteen dickety seven types.