The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not going to call it a must-read but I really like the concept behind Ultimate Comics Cataclysm. Slightly spoilery-

616 Galactus has broken through the barriers between universes and is headed for earth. In his universe Reed Richards is a great hero, in this one he's a reviled villain. The X-men are outcast and hunted down. Heroes like Spider-man and half the Avengers are dead. Basically, the Ultimate Universe is so fucked up that they can't survive.

I'm interested. Not least just because at some point Miles Morales is going to jump to 616 permanently (hopefully) and that's going to be a lot of fun.

Looking around on eBay, and coming to the realization that while I will never own a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, I am actually at a point in my life where I could conceivably build my collection of Silver Age Marvels and it won't bankrupt me. The vast majority of my collection is Bronze and (ugh) Copper Age, and I actually think I could count the number of Silver Age books I own on my hands. Growing up I always figured that actually owning any 1960s originals was out of reach, and I never stopped assuming that.

Digital edition of Judge Dredd: The Pit is only £1.99 today, which is an absolute steal. Generally this is regarded as the start of the second golden age of Judge Dredd. The premise is that Sector 301, aka The Pit, was a part of the city where corrupt or incompetent Judges were sent and, as such has become the worst performing Sector House in the City. Dredd is sent to take over as the Sector chief to turn things around. It was the first long term Dredd story where the premise wasn't rooted in saving millions (the Cursed Earth Saga) or saving the City (The Apocalypse War or Necropolis) and many of the supporting characters that were created for the story are still part of the supporting cast now. The stakes were smaller, but the story was rich and it still featured a huge action piece to end on.