The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Avengers Vol. 3, in particular Kurt Busiek's run. This includes his mini, Avengers Forever. Probably one of my favorite runs.

Spider-man Loves Mary Jane. Includes the minis, Mary Jane and Mary Jane: Homecoming.

Yes. Absolutely these. Busiek's stuff was terrific. Also Marvels, with Alex Ross.

X-Men: First Class (Jeff Parker series, especially Tomorrow's Heroes).

If you're of a mind to dip into Silver Age stuff, Ditko and/or Romita Spider-Man or Gene Colan Doctor Strange.

Bendis' early Avengers stuff, starting with Disassembled and stretching into early New Avengers.

Dan Slott's Spider-Man/Human Torch mini, which is one of my all-time favorite stories ever. For that matter, Slott's Spidey from Brand New Day on (it sucks how we got there, but BND was actually the start of a very strong run).

Captain Marvel (Kelly Sue DeConnick).

I don't know if they're too new to be on there, but G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel and Dan Slott's Silver Surfer are both terrific.

(I.e., feel free to raid my shelves when you're here in a couple of months.)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

The contents of the Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus have been announced.

"Fantastic Four" (1961) #1 (debut of Fantastic Four), #48-50 ("Galactus Trilogy") & #285 ("Hero," by John Byrne)
"Hulk" (1962) #1
"Avengers" (1963) #1 (debut of The Avengers) & #57 (first appearance of The Vision")
"Amazing Spider-Man" (1963) #31-33 ("If This Be My Destiny...!"), #50 ("Spider-Man No More!") & #121-122 ("The Night Gwen Stacy Died")
"Incredible Hulk" (1968) #181 (first appearance of Wolverine)
"Giant-Size X-Men" #1 (debut of All-New, All-Different X-Men)
"X-Men" (1963) #141; "Uncanny X-Men" (1981) #142 ("Days of Future Past")
"Daredevil" (1964) #181 (death of Elektra)
"Marvel Graphic Novel" #1 ("The Death of Captain Marvel") & #5 ("X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills")
"Thor" (1966) #337 (first appearance of Beta Ray Bill)
"Marvels" #1 (inaugural issue of acclaimed miniseries by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross)
"X-Men Alpha" (first issue of "Age of Apocalypse" event)
"Thunderbolts" (1997) #1 (first Thunderbolts appearance, famed surprise ending)
"Amazing Spider-Man" (1999) #36 (post-Sept. 11 tribute issue)
"The Ultimates" (2002) #1 (debut of The Ultimates)
"Captain America" (2005) #25 ("The Death of Captain America")
"Hawkeye" (2012) #11 ("Pizza is my Business")

The omnibus also includes "material from" "Captain America Comics" (1941) #1 (first appearance of Captain America), "Amazing Fantasy" (1962) #15 (first appearance of Spider-Man) and "Amazing Spider-Man" (1963) #248 ("The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man") & #700 ("Dying Wish," prelude to the "Superior Spider-Man" era).

It comes out in November, with an MSRP of $99.

Also: X-Men Alpha? Really?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, looking back at most of the comics I picked up when I was getting into comics circa 2009, I'm really not that big of a fan of most of them, and they're taking up space. It's mostly stuff like Dark Reign Deadpool and Thunderbolts, the Johns GL reboot, and a shitton of Blackest Night stuff. What are the odds of selling them, either to a LCS or online? I'm not expecting that much of a return on them.

So, looking back at most of the comics I picked up when I was getting into comics circa 2009, I'm really not that big of a fan of most of them, and they're taking up space. It's mostly stuff like Dark Reign Deadpool and Thunderbolts, the Johns GL reboot, and a shitton of Blackest Night stuff. What are the odds of selling them, either to a LCS or online? I'm not expecting that much of a return on them.

You'd do better online. An LCS, frankly, would possibly take them off your hands and not charge you for doing so. The best you could hope for was store credit.

If you have collections that could be packaged as lots, you would A) get a little more and B) get them off your hands that much faster.

Honestly, if they're from within the past 5 years, you would probably get a better write off giving them to Goodwill or donating them to your town's library.

It's pretty surreal, to be honest. I've wanted something like this since I was 14. Never really thought it would happen.

And there's also the part of my brain that says "Dipshit, you just spent actual cash money on magazines because they were older than your mom."

I've made no secret about being wholly underwhelmed by the Valiant Comics relaunch (one of my favorite comic universes of my childhood), but there are six hours left in a humble bundle where you can get basically everything Valiant has recently published for $10.09. Pretty great.

Bonus: you get the Shadowman PC game from the 90s too!

I've made no secret about being wholly underwhelmed by the Valiant Comics relaunch (one of my favorite comic universes of my childhood), but there are six hours left in a humble bundle where you can get basically everything Valiant has recently published for $10.09. Pretty great.

Bonus: you get the Shadowman PC game from the 90s too!

And the Shadowman PC game from the 90s!

So nice, it needed to be said twice!

I'm starting to think I may have a mycomicshop.com problem. They are basically one giant dollar bin. I just got the entire Marvel 70th Anniversary collection (11 issues), the 1999 DC "JSA Returns" fifth week event (9 issues), and the 1994-5 Strange Tales/Tales to Astonish/Tales of Suspense anthologies; every issue ranged from $0.80 to $1.20. Cover price on all of that would have been almost $80. I got them for under $30. Awesome price, but I need to be stopped.