The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Finished reading the entire of Aquaman Volumes 5 & 6 and I'm now catching up with Hawkman/Hawkgirl, since I only had half the trades for that series. I think by the time I'm done with these series I might have a bit more of a clue as to what is going on with some of the non-GL backstory to Blackest Night.

Reading these has served to remind me exactly why I like DC's long running character books though. Unlike in Marvel the creator sets the world and the supporting cast and runs with it for a really long time, fleshing out every aspect. Its why Teen Titans and JSA were so strong for a long time, its what Peter David in particular is great at. His run on Supergirl is a lot of fun. These sorts of series are really well done in that they don't cross over huge amounts and they spoon-feed you new information and relationships. Of course then some other writer comes along and all of a sudden Dolphin in Aquaman goes from being a pivotal character to one who it wasn't confirm that she was even dead until Blackest Night, but by and large there are still strong runs on each book. Even though the Simonson/Chaykin team really brought down Hawkman when it got switched to Hawkgirl, there are still 50 issues of quality reading before that happens.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've decided that if I were to live in the DC Universe I'd start an apocalypse cult, dedicated to protesting continual superhuman prevention of the inevitable. Its the difference between dying a long slow very painful death and a quick clean one. In the DC timeline in the last five years there have been dozens of global events that caused untold damage to the world at large. Within a few short issues of JSA the earth was pushed from its orbit and a shadow moon almost collided with us. The gravitic anomalies alone would cause tidal variations that would wipe out nations, not to mention whatever Infinite and Final Crisis did to everyone. The emotional trauma that is worldwide should make DC the most miserable place on earth to live. On top of that countless alien invasions, acts of domestic terrorism in every city that takes the lives of hundreds of people and other disturbing events that cause the dead to rise or demons to run amok. Gotham alone should have a higher suicide/murder rate than death by natural causes. There can be no conventionally sane people left on that planet.

Its quite obviously the end of days, if I were Superman I'd be pushing the earth into the sun myself before moving on to another world to try and start again.

AVENGERS VS. ATLAS #1 (of 4)

Written by JEFF PARKER

Penciled by GABRIEL HARDMAN

Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Variant Cover by GABRIEL HARDMAN

Spacetime is being selectively eroded by an unknown force. To stop the effect, the Agents of Atlas seek the help of the Avengers- and find a much earlier version of the team than they expected: Captain America, Iron Man, Wasp, Giant-Man and Thor are together again, with the atomic wildcard THE HULK!

40 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

MARVEL BOY: THE URANIAN #1 (of 3)

Written by JEFF PARKER

Penciled by FELIX RUIZ

Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

A young man has travelled billions of miles through space in a rocket to help our world. But is Earth of the 1950's ready for a new super hero? Before he became the dark figure the Agents of Atlas call The Uranian, Bob Grayson raced through the skies as Marvel Boy! From the critically acclaimed writer of AGENTS OF ATLAS and FALL OF THE HULKS: ALPHA comes this all-new look back at one of Marvels first heroes!

48 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Retro Avengers, Gabriel Hardman art, and more 1950's adventures? Awesome.

Really now, Mike is the master of the Freudian slip at this point, yet when he references Batman "packing heat", you immediately get into a discussion of firearms?

Come on people. Get with the program already.

I flipped through the DC Halloween special in the LCS today. I read the Bizarro story and that was the only one that interested me, so I didn't get it.

Been picking up Action comics with the adventures of Nightwing and Flamebird in 50p bins, and it's really good, but not worth more money, so if you see an issue in the cheap bins, I would say give a shot.

I know it will be a long time before we see another Marvel / DC crossover, but I suddenly have the desire to see a Batman / Captain America miniseries starring Dick and Bucky in the title roles. Written by Ed Brubaker and with art by Michael Lark, this would be killer!