The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

I mean, what pisses me off the most about all of this (and part of this may be stemming from the fact that I have lady-parts) is the fact that they're giving MJ a baby in the first place, regardless of who the father might be. She doesn't need a baby! Baby is not going to be magical reuniting thread between MJ and Peter, or magical, period!

Also, about Quesada's tendency to piss off the fans:

Quesada: "I learned very quickly that the dumber the thing I said online, the more hits we got, and ultimately, the viral message will get carried by the fans who're irate about it. So if someone is pissed off at me because I said something ridiculously stupid about a character, they would then go to Bendis' board, or John Byrne's board, or all these other message boards, and say 'Do you believe what this jack-ass just said?' Now, all of a sudden, something dumb that I've said - "Dead is dead" - is everywhere. It's not necessarily the quote, but it's everywhere. I'll take it, you're promoting my name, you're promoting our policies, you're promoting Marvel. So, I did learn to play with the internet in that fashion. And that's always fun to do, to say, 'Okay, what can I say today that will piss people off?'"

io9: "You're just poking people with the internet as your stick."

Quesada: "It's fun."

Source

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Though I like mature superhero comic books -- ones that look at the core of the characters -- I'm tired of the overt gore in them. In something like The Authority or an alternate reality story, fine, because those are either a commentary on the industry or not in continuity. But when I see The Punisher being chopped to bits in a non-Max title, a Hulk punching a woman's jaw off in Fantastic Four #573, or what happened over in Justice League: Cry for Justice #5, it makes me sick!

Is this what we want in our superhero comic books? To see our heroes (and even the villains) torn into pieces? I'm not calling for all mainstream superhero comics to be written like Tiny Titans, but if I want to read stuff like this I'll pick up a Max or Vertigo title.

And you know what, fuck DC for not putting a parental advisory on the cover of Cry for Justice, and fuck Marvel for rating that issue of FF an "A," which stands for "appropriate for ages 9 and up."

Though I like mature superhero comic books -- ones that look at the core of the characters -- I'm tired of the overt gore in them. In something like The Authority or an alternate reality story, fine, because those are either a commentary on the industry or not in continuity. But when I see The Punisher being chopped to bits in a non-Max title, a Hulk punching a woman's jaw off in Fantastic Four #573, or what happened over in Justice League: Cry for Justice #5, it makes me sick!

What happened in cry for justice?

Put in spoiler tags though, cause I don't want to ruin it for others.

Comics are trying to be dark and mature, when in reality, they are being dark and immature, I like good comics, and violence that is part of the thing, but not violence for the sake of being violent.

What happened in cry for justice?

Put in spoiler tags though, cause I don't want to ruin it for others.

Roy, Red Arrow, lost his arm. The act of him losing it wasn't shown, but the bloody aftermath was.

Comics are trying to be dark and mature, when in reality, they are being dark and immature, I like good comics, and violence that is part of the thing, but not violence for the sake of being violent.

Bingo!

Bingo!

Yeah, I tend to think that DC is more guilty of that due to their far bigger character roster and the fact that many of them are legacies, so its easier to bring them back in some form.

WWIII was the atrocious zenith of it all.

I think once the majority of comics customers shifted from children to adults, Marvel and DC become more liberal with the levels of violence. Honestly, I'd like to see less graphic violence in the mainstream books since you can't very well expand the comics readership if you can't hand potential comics fans current comics to read.

Not worse than anything in Deadpool, though.

Deadpool might be violent, but it's not drawn in a photorealistic style. Because of the way his books are drawn, I see Deadpool as a silly cartoon. This is meant to be taken seriously. Plus, at least all of the DP books have warnings on them.

Ultimately, it's up to parents to know what their kids are reading. Now it's pretty much in the public conscience that Bang! Pow! Comics Aren't for Kids Anymore so parents should watch what their kids are putting down the pop culture piehole.

I was reading issues of Dark Horse Presents with a girl blowing a guy in a Catholic confessional when I was 9. I'm not bothered by much.

For me, it's the context. When stuff like this happens in Blackest Night, the tie-ins, or the current Green Lantern books, no biggie, because they're telling a horror story. But because this is in a Justice League miniseries, that's why I take issue with it.

And yes it's up to every parent to know what their kids are reading, but at the same time not every parent goes to the comic shop with their kids. Not for lack of time or lax parenting, but because the kid might stop there on the way home from school. By the time they learn what's been read, it's too late.

At the same time though, the story is called "Cry for justice" meaning that their is going to have to be some bad stuff happening to make people realise that justice isn't as easy as saying "lets form a team and kick behinds!" sometimes their has to be casualty's to prove the point.

Though I will say, although that image is very graphic and looks awesome, I can see why it disturbs you.

For me, it's the context. When stuff like this happens in Blackest Night, the tie-ins, or the current Green Lantern books, no biggie, because they're telling a horror story. But because this is in a Justice League miniseries, that's why I take issue with it.

Yeah, I think the Justice League has an iconic obligation to not be randomly violent. GL can get away with that because it doesn't have the rich history of family-friendliness, but the League? Ehh....

That's not saying that violence can't occur, but it shouldn't be so over-the-top and blatant as that.

Also, I think that

people losing limbs is a far too overdone thing in comics.