The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Earlier this evening my dad and stepmom asked me for a Christmas list, so, amongst other things, I asked for the following trades:

Green Lantern: Rebirth

Green Lantern, volume 1-3

Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War, volume 1-2

Green Lantern: Tales of the Sinestro Corps

Green Lanter Corps, volume 1-4

Green Lantern Corps: Recharge

I know they won't get me all of those, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add all of 'em to a Christmas wish list. :)

I did, but I want to give GL another try. Plus, if it's bought for me, I've lost nothing but time on my part.

For what it's worth, I love GL, but Rebirth isn't my favorite story either. It's only great because it sets up future GL stories extremely well.

I got issues 2-5 somewhere, and I was planning on buying the trade, but then I read them and their average, maybe cause I read SCW before it.

Also, I really don't like Van Scivers art right now. I liked his covers for SCW and such, and like his covers, but from flipping through Flash Rebirth, I said to myself "This is late!! What the hell was he doing to it!?"

For the most part, I do like that cover. Though Superman looks like a mannequin, and I hate, hate, hate the floaty things around Green Lantern.

Well, my eye is drawn to Cyborg Superman, who looks awesome.

Also, yeah, they are shit when you put them out.

I'm not a big fan of Ethan Van Sciver either. Ivan Reis all the way.

That man is fucking awesome.

Ivan Reis is the best superhero artist working right now.

The guy is Neal Adams and Alan Davis' lovechild for god's sake.

Ehhh...

Call me unoriginal, but I still prefer Jim Lee.

Hey man, I love Bryan Hitch but it takes him eleven months to do a head sketch of Captain America.

Reis does it beautifully, and monthly.

Hey man, I love Bryan Hitch but it takes him eleven months to do a head sketch of Captain America.

Reis does it beautifully, and monthly.

Ah; that makes sense.

I love Bryan Hitch's work, too.

Yeah, Jim Lee's busy working on DC Universe Online, so I don't expect anything coming from him anytime soon. (then again, considering that his current book is All-Star Batman, maybe that's for the best...)

I can hold my silence no longer. I fucking love Rebirth. It's one of the few trades that I have gone back and read multiple times. My knowledge of Green Lantern at the time was limited to my step dad's GL/GA trade and the one issue that crossed over into Reign of the Supermen, and I still had no trouble following along. Everything was explained to my satisfaction, the retcons not only made sense but added to the overall story, and all of the characters felt real (or as real as a story involving super-powered beings, power rings, and the living incarnation of fear can be). I put this right up there with Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run as the best comic book story I've ever read and gave me a man-crush on Geoff Johns. Yeah, Van Sciver's gets a little wonky (especially with Sinestro's head), but it enhances the story being told for the most part.