The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

When Simon and Kirby came to Marvel (Timely) they were given editorial and creative control over their creations. This included a say in every representation of the character. Contractually this has never been adhered to post World War 2 as far as know.

There has never been compensation for Kirby and Ditko (the two creative forces of Marvel) or even name accreditation for writing when these guys did most of the writing and gave notes for dialogue that Stan used more often than not anyway. They were mistreated and railroaded out of their creator rights when Stan was bought out and given executive producer credit on every film made at Marvel. You can bet that he will on the Silver Surfer movie too when he had nothing to do with the creation of that character.

Lawsuits have been attempted over the years, including those led by Kirby and Simon. Unfortunately, their foe had a much larger pot to draw their legal funds from and they just couldn't afford to do it. All Jack wanted to do was provide for his family. Why can't he from beyond the grave?

It's an injustice, it's not petty. It's about what's right. Say what you will but that's the truth.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should assuredly be given more credit. And far more compensation. But the family trying to dissolve the copyrights and take control of the characters? That's beyond fucked up. You're going to take the characters and do what with them? Bury them in the back yard?

That's only a legal loophole. It's the only thing they can do. Like the Siegels, they aren't trying to stop Marvel from producing with these characters, they want a stake in the rights. A stake in the rights that will be bought out. That's all. They're not trying to destroy your comics. The financial aspects of the company has been entirely restructured and thus opened a new avenue to take the suits in.

This doesn't affect your comics. This is business and it happens everyday.

It's been a non-issue for some time but now that marvel's been pushing hundred million dollar movies and is under the umbrella of one of the biggest media corporations on earth, it's a different story as it rightfully could be. If they did this in the nineties, Marvel probably wouldn't be around right now.

There's no ill will, just what is deserved.

It just one of those things where I'm perfectly happen to credit the right people for their role in creating certain guys, and I want to see those people adequately rewarded. It gets a little fuzzy for me when it's not their direct descendants doing it, but sure, if I ran Marvel I'd make a point of ensuring those guys got their due. I only object when the claims are unreasonable or it interferes with characters and storylines in the books.

It's been a non-issue for some time but now that marvel's been pushing hundred million dollar movies and is under the umbrella of one of the biggest media corporations on earth, it's a different story as it rightfully could be. If they did this in the nineties, Marvel probably wouldn't be around right now.

There's no ill will, just what is deserved.

I agree with Dread on this. The problem now is that Marvel is owned by Disney and if Disney is good at one thing, it's getting copyright and trademark law shifted around in it's benefit. By all means, Steamboat Willy should be public domain by now.

I love the JLI era. Damn, this better be a quality Bi-Weekly.

Judd Winick is co-writing.

Well, my experiences with Judd Winick are mostly positive so I have no problem with that.

Ah, didn't read his recent Batman then. Cause if I didn't, you'd be answering that differently.

I did and oh well. He was still good on Exiles, Outsiders, as well some of his other Batman work. Everyone has bad runs. You can't judge their entire career off of that. I love Gail Simone and I'll admit that her run on Action Comics was pure shit but I still love her other work.

I love the JLI era. Damn, this better be a quality Bi-Weekly.

Judd Winick is co-writing.

Well, my experiences with Judd Winick are mostly positive so I have no problem with that.

Ah, didn't read his recent Batman then. Cause if I didn't, you'd be answering that differently.

I did and oh well. He was still good on Exiles, Outsiders, as well some of his other Batman work. Everyone has bad runs. You can't judge their entire career off of that. I love Gail Simone and I'll admit that her run on Action Comics was pure shit but I still love her other work.

Well, you have to remember, that my favourite Batman storyline ever, was under the hood.

It might have had something to do with Bagleys art, or the fact that DC teased me with Bat-Face, for months, leaving me to have dreams of how awesome he could be (Think about it, two-face stops robbers, but he has to flip the coin to see if he kills them, or if he takes them into the police and many others) and I get two fucking panels! Not even good panels, before the rug gets pulled out from under me.

Dammit, it could have been awesome. :shakehead:

So you're damning the writer of one of your favorite all time stories because he had a story that DC chose to hype a tiny part of and an artist that crapped it up? A little unfair, don't you think?

Yes. I mostly blame Bagley for it, but it was just weird, you have scowling Dick trying to show the world Batman isn't dead elsewhere, and in Batman, you have showman Dick, who is trying to show that he's not the original Batman.

So, to celebrate handing in my journalism folder, I got myself some comics:

Iron Man 22

Secret Six

Billy Batson and the magic of Shazam!

I read Secret Six on the train home, and I actually asked myself, why the fuck did I drop this book! It is awesome.

Anyway, now that the blackest night suicide squad is tied into this secret six issue, and that issue of secret six is not going to be collected in the resurrection pack, does anyone think DC will just trade the suicide squad issue twice?

Also, I really want Amanda Waller to be the secret six mockingbird now, I fucking love her when Simone and Ostrander are writing her.

Oh, and I saw that my LCS had variant cover issues of Siege, for £5, they have Norman Osborne on the cover and their was a lot of them.