The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

SCanning online comic book discussions. Hate for Jeph Loeb? Silly fanboys, Ultimatum and everything after it aren't in Ultimate Marvel continuity. Their all part of Jeph Loeb's universe (which branches out for each universe created by comics industries), in this universe their is no character development and nothing makes sense, everything is a big confusing event, that kills everyone or makes the most evil person in the world emperor or president.

Doesn't everybody know that?

You lost me completely. Could you explain again Graham?

Anyway, has the mad hatter ever faced the atom?

I ask because it seems like Jervis would be interested a little, seeing as he can shrink his size, like Alice did in the book.

I'm on the Atom right now, and am tempted to get a full sized figure of him, and maybe a trade or two, any recommendations while I'm here.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All of my best Atom stuff is with the Justice League. I rather like Ryan Choi and I adore Ray Palmer.

I don't really JL, as I'm not a team book fan, but anything JL with lots of Atom that's good.

Also, I only know Choi from Countdown and Batman: Brave and the bold, but he seems alright, but John C McGinley was the real fucking Atom.

SCanning online comic book discussions. Hate for Jeph Loeb? Silly fanboys, Ultimatum and everything after it aren't in Ultimate Marvel continuity. Their all part of Jeph Loeb's universe (which branches out for each universe created by comics industries), in this universe their is no character development and nothing makes sense, everything is a big confusing event, that kills everyone or makes the most evil person in the world emperor or president.

Doesn't everybody know that?

Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate Spidey are good books, and it makes me crack up whenever some character looks back on what was done to them all in ultimatum like its a great tragedy, I can imagine they are referring to Loeb instead of Magneto.

To be honest, Ultimatum cut some fat from that universe, there really isn't anything about the two lost books that could really expand the whole thing. UA is a great action book and USM is the closest thing to Spider-man and his amazing friends that is on the shelf. Ultimatum was shit, but the result isn't bad.

I'm on the Atom right now, and am tempted to get a full sized figure of him, and maybe a trade or two, any recommendations while I'm here.

In the Justice League Unlimited line a few years back, there was a 10-Inch Atom toy that came with a mini-Atom.

As for essential Atom reading, some of the silver-age Atom stories are collected in the Showcase format. The Ryan Choi stories are collected as well. The first 20 are written by Gail Simone so they're all levels of awesome.

In the Justice League Unlimited line a few years back, there was a 10-Inch Atom toy that came with a mini-Atom.

As for essential Atom reading, some of the silver-age Atom stories are collected in the Showcase format. The Ryan Choi stories are collected as well. The first 20 are written by Gail Simone so they're all levels of awesome.

I'll have to look him out on ebay,

Also, I've heard the Simone story's were good. I had issues from the end of the series, and they sucked though, glad I sold them. When I'm done with 52, I'll look out her Atom run.

Just used a pair of $50 Borders gift cards from the holidays to make a nice trade order:

Beanworld Vol. 3 HC

The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures HC

Curse of Dracula TPB

Essential Doctor Strange Vol. 1 TPB

Essential Sub-Mariner Vol. 1 TPB

Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer TPB

I wasn't pleased about a Barry Allen Flash series to begin with, but I would have tried it for this creative team. But after their run on Adventure Comics, not so much.

Still, could be a first issue special :P

By the things I've seen, Manapul is like Ethan Van Sciver for me, someone who is good at doing covers, but when it comes to interior work, I just don't care.

I picked up the first volume of the Unwritten yesterday and I just sat down to read it.

Well, Bill Willingham opens up with the biggest pile of shite I have ever read. He's doing the introduction, and rather than telling us about the book and why he thinks it's awesome for the thing, he spends an entire page talking about Fables and trying to sell me on his fucking book, which I read, and really, don't care about. He then starts to talk about the rise of fables and big bad wolf loving snow white, again from Fables, fables is always in capitals as well. Then he says about a line about how good the book is, then goes back to this bollocks about Fables taking over the real world. Pretty much put me on a downer for this book, and so, after the first issue, I put Unwritten down.

This intro is just two pages of how Willingham sucks himself off and loves reminding us of how pretty much this can be construed as a take off of his idea.

Well, probably going to try and read the rest of the Unwritten later.

So, it turns out, an introduction can put you off of a book.

By the things I've seen, Manapul is like Ethan Van Sciver for me, someone who is good at doing covers, but when it comes to interior work, I just don't care.

I was talking about that to a friend of mine just the other day. Van Sciver's stuff can look really good, but then other times it looks kind of unfinished. Jagged, if that makes sense. Like he didn't erase his pencils.

I was talking about that to a friend of mine just the other day. Van Sciver's stuff can look really good, but then other times it looks kind of unfinished. Jagged, if that makes sense. Like he didn't erase his pencils.

Yeah, and then you find out it takes him ages to do what he does, and it leaves me wondering what the hell he is doing. I think I posted a picture of his Cyborg Superman cover, which looked awkward, except for Cyborg Superman himself.

I think the problem is, he's a great cover artist who keeps getting interior gigs.

Fixed. I know I keep saying it, but whenever I see Van Sciver, it just doesn't make sense, why he takes so fucking long, I mean, Quitely, Williams III (Particularly with Batwoman in detective)and others, I can understand, as the stuff they do looks different and looks good, Sciver just looks fucking average.

I can't be the only person glad that he passed up Blackest Night to do Flash: Rebirth.