Every Film You've Watched in 2015

dc20willsave

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Avengers: It really hasn't aged well. It's about a half hour too long and the effects don't hold up even though it's less than three years old. Cap's costume is awful too. Looks like they pasted his head in afterwards. There are some great moments, but that's all this is. A half-dozen great moments strung together sloppily with a piss-poor script. It's maybe the fifth best Marvel movie.

Feature Films: 50

Documentaries: 2

A Magic Puppy: So, most of DeCoteau's output is not good. Like at all. But this still isn't as bad as the other talking animal films. Oh, it's still bad and there aren't many redeeming qualities but it just only occasionally felt incomprehensibility bad. For starters, there's a semblance of a plot with cause and effect... that is then often forgotten for long scenes of driving or Kristine DeBell playing with a dog that's actually her boyfriend, Eric Roberts. Okay, when I type it out, it does seem more bad.

Godzilla vs Megalon: Godzilla is a side-character in his own film, Jet Jaguar is terrible, the villains have a point, and the heroes are a gay couple and their incredibly annoying child. Yeah, this is probably one of my favorites.

Catwoman: Somehow even worse when you watch it with cat-owners who point out how little resemblance to cats anything in this movie is.

Feature Films: 36

Direct to DVD: 1

Made-For-TV: 2

Repeats: 2

Something I forgot to mention that i noticed in Avengers. The first time I saw the film I recognized the little girl from Growing Pains as the waitress. This time I saw that the actor who plays Agent Sousa (limpy dude) in Agent Carter, plays a cop in the last act of the film. When the cop asks Cap why he should listen to him, there is another cop in that scene. That's him.

After spending the weekend watching through the Daredevil Netflix series, I've just re-watched the (theatrical cut) 2003 Daredevil movie to prep for discussion on the Comic Book Film Revue. On the microscopic reason that no one here is just DYING to know what I think and will wait for the episode to be released, I've always thought this movie gets a ridiculously unreasonable amount of flak. I know the Director's Cut is better respected (I also own that but can't find it) but I never thought the theatrical version was as awful as the internet said it was.

So it's hard to keep the Netflix series out of my head, but objectively speaking this movie is not great. It's very melodramatic, the script is fairly lame with the best lines given to a limply-written Foggy, and it truncates the Miller run and as a results deadens the power of its original story when put on screen. Plus it has early 2000s music.

That being said, I had a lot of fun watching this movie. I liked this when it first came out even before I became a massive DD fan years later, so now I have my fanboy goggle on when seeing it. I think that Mark Steven Johnson clearly adores the source material and tries his damnedest to portray it on-screen, which is admirable. Michael Clarke Duncan and Colin Farrel are clearly pissing themselves with glee playing the bad guys. They are having the time of their LIVES, it's practically 60s Batman villains level in terms of how pleased they always seem to be in being bad guys. I don't think Affleck does a bad job with what he's given. Charlie Cox had way better to work with and comes off a LOT more like Daredevil from the comics, right down to the voice, but for Affleck does is okay. There's nothing really you can point to with him where you can say he does a bad job and its his fault this movie didn't work. Plus, the movie has early 2000s music!

The biggest detractor is obviously Garner's Elektra, who's written lamely and is frankly miscast. Garner looks gorgeous in this movie, so there's that. Also she is written fairly closely to her origin story so that kinda is there...but her story falls very flat.

My biggest issue with the Affleck Daredevil film is the pacing. For reasons I can't fathom, Johnson clearly thought he was making a two-hour-plus, R-rated film, and when it was hacked down to a ninety minute PG-13 movie, it ruined the story. I agree that it's not the atrocity that a lot of people make it out to be, but it should never be confused with a good film. The director's cut is much better.

I think he meant on his end, not the film as a whole. Obviously, I'm a big Whedon fan, but he's a writer and an actor's director. To make the truly great film he's capable of, he's gonna need a truly dynamite DOP.

Also, his "sequel to something" better not be Dr. Horrible 2, that is perfect as is.

All that said, I'm glad to see him step away from Marvel if it isn't fun anymore.

Whedon is a world builder and he's done his part here. The sandbox is made, time to let someone else play in it.

I'm really interested to see how AoU turns out now, reading that interview. If he's not happy, I'd way rather he step away.

Zodiac: David Fincher is a great director, and subjects like the Zodiac killer are really interesting to me. Smash em together, and you have a great movie on your hands, which Zodiac is. While, yes, the history behind the killer has since been changed, this hasn't hurt the movie to any significant extent.

Films Watched: 38

Repeats: 1

The Happening: More boring than anything else. Not the worse movie I've ever seen but, yeah, not a single thing makes sense in the entire blasted film.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica : Beginnings: More a recap of the first 8 episodes of the anime with some new footage spliced in. It was enjoyable enough.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Eternal: Recap of the last four episodes of the anime. I don't remember much, if any, new footage but oh well.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion: In some ways, a more fitting ending (especially the fate of a character who, in the original series, was something of a Karma Houdini) and, in others, I almost prefer the original ending. Still, the animation is always gorgeous and it's still a wonderful deconstruction of the magical girl genre. Definitely worth checking out.

Feature Films: 40

Direct to DVD: 1

Made-For-TV: 2

Repeats: 2