Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say this understanding just how insensitive it is and likely with a hinge of naivety and/or lack of perspective.

Ignoring that I'm super conspiracy theorist on everything involving fame and flat out assume that every single "found" sex tape is a staged publicity stunt, (and thought this was first as well), I guess I just question the thought process behind people taking naked pictures of themselves, let alone celebrities. I generally accept and scoff whenever famous people decree an invasion of privacy because it's the price to be paid for a life of luxury. Obviously, this is a different case. I guess the major question is why people were so trusting of cloud technology (which I've been suspicious of since day one because of, you guessed it, security) that they'd put something so private out there, especially in this culture of "hacked" or "found" images and videos.

Yes, I know I shouldn't even be thinking in that direction because it never should have happened. Certainly not blaming the victims here, even if I do think this country makes way too much of something as basic as the human body.

In the case of some of the actresses' photos, it's been reasonably figured out that it wasn't a cloud hack, but rather a more literal hack into the devices themselves. There's people out there who try to get as physically close to the women they target as possible in order to locally hack their phones and computers, often using their personal wi-fi connections. If that's a no-go, sometimes they try aiming for their targets' friends, family, or boyfriends.

And in the vast majority of cases like these, "hacking" just means correctly guessing a password. Even if the cloud systems were completely tight, they won't protect against that. Also, despite the fact that all the photos came out in a giant pile at once, they weren't all obtained at once. Some of the photos had apparently been deleted from both the local devices and the cloud for years before being leaked last month, so this had to have been a giant stockpile that hackers had been slowly building for years.

I'm reading X-Factor Vol 1 at the moment and Warren is chatting to Scott whilst wearing an open bathrobe and tighty whiteys. First thought, why doesn't Scott ask him to close the drapes. Second thought, so even Warren's dressing gowns have wing-holes? Wouldn't it be easier to design something that he didn't have to stick his wings through and mess up his feathers? Third thought, you could make a 32 page comic about Warren Worthington III trying and failing to put on a T-shirt.

Because the Supreme Court declined to hear the Doyle estate's case, Sherlock Holmes is now officially in the public domain.

I'm glad there was a paragraph at the end that explained that the copyright had already expired in the UK, because I was legitimately wondering why it would be a legislative issue for the US Supreme Court to be dealing with.

I have lost a great chunk of my workday getting lost in The Great American Novel, a surreal descent into unmitigated insanity positing that Marvel Comics became lost forever in 1968 when events stopped occurring in real time, comprised of dozens of web pages, charts, graphs, and tens of thousands of words, primarily but not exclusively through the lens of the Fantastic Four.

Seriously, this is intricately, painstakingly researched craziness.