The Doctor Who thread

"I can't ever take the TARDIS back, the timelines, they're too scrambled." is the line. Now, since the graveyard is in the present day of New York, I figured he just ran across the Island since that's what the Doctor does instead of doing the lazy thing and taking the TARDIS to Central Park.

It's possible he was lying in that scene because...well...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They already established that 1938 (not "New York, 1938," but just "1938") was near-impossible to land in, then there was a time paradox explosion on top of that. The ramifications of it are vague, but what I inferred is that the time the Williamses returned to was permanently unreachable. That wouldn't mean that the Doctor couldn't go and pick them up a couple decades later or something, when they're middle-aged, but there's a dozen different speculative responses for that. Maybe the fact that the Williamses were part of the same timespace event three times over means that they literally can't be reached by TARDIS. Maybe the entire area of New York over a larger period of time (but not enough to reach the present) is now unreachable. Maybe the Doctor (who has described himself as "a big complicated timespace event") can no longer directly interact with the Williamses because of all their looping timespace craziness focused on the exact same point in timespace.

So, yeah, wibbly wobbly. But it can make sense if you let it.

Though that's a great explanation for it, I shouldn't have to "let it" make sense. Steven Moffat, through The Doctor, needed to clearly explain what makes one thing fixed and another not. Or, really, why The Doctor can't visit the Ponds, say, in 1940.

They already established that 1938 (not "New York, 1938," but just "1938") was near-impossible to land in, then there was a time paradox explosion on top of that. The ramifications of it are vague, but what I inferred is that the time the Williamses returned to was permanently unreachable. That wouldn't mean that the Doctor couldn't go and pick them up a couple decades later or something, when they're middle-aged, but there's a dozen different speculative responses for that. Maybe the fact that the Williamses were part of the same timespace event three times over means that they literally can't be reached by TARDIS. Maybe the entire area of New York over a larger period of time (but not enough to reach the present) is now unreachable. Maybe the Doctor (who has described himself as "a big complicated timespace event") can no longer directly interact with the Williamses because of all their looping timespace craziness focused on the exact same point in timespace.

So, yeah, wibbly wobbly. But it can make sense if you let it.

I like it.

Okay. I do have some issues with this episode, but overall, this was a really good note for the Ponds to leave on. And honestly, I feel like this is the first really good episode we've had all season, or at the least, the one where the most effort went towards.

Also, random side note: remember all the way back in the Beast Below where they showed the numbers for her age? Does that work out now with them having been jumped back in time?

Steven Moffat, through The Doctor, needed to clearly explain what makes one thing fixed and another not. Or, really, why The Doctor can't visit the Ponds, say, in 1940.

True. Moffat has a tendency in Eleven's era to leave the super-important science plot devices way too vague; it's one of the things I've enjoyed the least about Series 5 and 6.

For me, Chris, that indicated that Amy finally realized what a brave, wonderful man Rory was and, thus, embraced his name. That, or they were stuck in 1938, when it was very uncommon for a married couple to have different last names.

Yeah, the latter seemed sensible to me. However, I also really liked it in terms of Amy finally, once and for all, choosing Rory over anything and everything else, just as he's done for her over and over again.

It always bugged the hell out of me that Rory was basically treated like Amy's bitch for so long. In one of the Confidentials for Series 5, they explain that Rory is a nurse in Series 5 specifically because he's trying to be a Doctor for Amy, but isn't good enough for that yet. And then after he marries Amy, he's constantly referred to as a "Pond," when that's neither traditional nor factual. Hell, the Doctor even calls Brian a Pond without thinking, proving that for the Doctor, Amy is the important one and the Williamses are second at best. So, yes, for Amy to finally reverse that was really nice.

Personally, I thought a big fuck off Statue of Liberty Weeping Angel was pretty damn scary. In terms of scale, if nothing else.

And really, why was Rory's actual given name on his gravestone?!? IT'S HIS NAME!! When is it established he actually changed it to that of Amy?

Definitely agree that Brian should be featured at some point for the continuity, especially given what he said in Power of Three. The Christmas Special would tie it up immediately (or even a mini-sode, a la Pond Life), but I wouldn't be annoyed if it was saved until later down the line.

I'm still in shock over the episode. I knew it was coming, and I had an idea on how it would turn out halfway through. The experience though might be the most heartwrenching moment I've experience while watching Doctor Who. It probably has plotholes, but instances like this don't see me caring about 'em.

Basically, this is Moffat and the fans by the end of last night.

350447.jpg