What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

I watched a special from the 90s, TV Guide Looks at Science Fiction. Rather disappointing, especially since it's an hour long program and I'm pretty positive Doctor Who doesn't come up once.

Unfortunate but it doesn't surprise me. Doctor Who was a nonentity in the 1990s. Actually, before the 2005 reboot it was very much a cult show in America and barely on TV Guide's radar.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I'd watched a bit of it here and there, but somehow came away with a pretty negative impression. I think a lot of it might have had to do with the fact that Disney XD skipped the first several episodes (where they established the heroes as individuals) and went straight to the two-parter where the team forms, so it seemed really jumbled and crazy. Watching it from the beginning on Netflix, however, I'm totally in love with it. Not quite at DCAU-level drama and "realism," but so much fun.

Happy Endings: How have I not been watching this? Probably the most hilarious show I have seen in ages. It finds that good spot between How I Met Your Mother and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and just owns it. The real stand out of the series though is Adam Pally as Max. What makes Max so awesome is he's a sarcastic asshole, a geek, The character is also gay which is probably the least important aspect of his personality. Maybe it's all because I am so massively this guy. Regardless, a fucking awesome show with a great cast. I also may have watched the first disc three times today so far...

I really hope ABC pairs this with Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 next season.

Superman III.

Hang on, hear me out.

This is far too goofy for its own good. It's silly, it takes nothing seriously, Richard Pryor completely fails to bring his Richard Pryor-ness to the proceedings, and Robert Vaughn is 80 kinds of terrible.

However in addition to Annette O'Toole, who is awesome, we get Fake Kryptonite turning Superman into Evil Drunk Uncle Superman, and then when Clark Kent somehow manages to split himself away from EDUS, and they fight, or maybe it's all in his head, or whatever, and I don't even CARE, because it leads to very possibly the est eight minutes in comic book movie history.

Watched the rest of season one of Happy Endings. Dear god, people. Watch this show. It's nearly perfect and there's at least a couple of episodes where I could not stop laughing and my roomies had to check up on me to make sure I wasn't dieing. There's a freaking episode with Nerf guns as a major plot point.

Green Lantern- I love the comics, but this was a huge disappointment both box office and personally. So instead of a review, I'm going to list all the superhero clichés the film ticks off as I go. Yes there's spoilers but due to the nature of the list, somehow none of them are really actual spoilers. I know all this stuff is actually very old and part of the story, but you could forgive audiences for not thinking it was remotely interesting. I would like to state that Blake Lively is so freakin' hot in this film. Like, redonkulous. Bravo woman.

-Mythology-heavy opening. Ancient evil yadayadayada. (Every space/mystical film ever)

-Kid running alongside schoolbus (Spider-man)

-Kid grew up alongside girl that he winds up crushing on/dating. (Spider-man/Batman Begins)

-Kid loses dad/father figure/Parent(s) (Spider-man, Daredevil, Batman, Superman, Spider-man again, Superman again, Blade. I'd like to note that none of the Avengers have this cliche as a major part of their mythos)

-Ryan Reynolds is late for work and just slept with a hot girl (every Ryan Reynolds movie)

-Ace pilot breaks the rules of the engagement to win (Top Gun)

-Protagonists best friend is a computer nerd. I shouldn't need to list examples for this.

-Ace pilot's daddy issues relate directly to their inability to fly a plane (Top Gun)

-Space artefact chooses human pilot (Flight of the Navigator)

-Misguided Military hunting down power they don't understand/can't control (Hulk, Short Circuit)

-Galactic threat that comes back more powerful than ever to consume everything (Fifth Element)

-Hero attempts to engage his abilities through a series of humorous pop-culture references (Spider-man)

-Pilot sings in bar to gain girl's affections (Top Gun)

-Hero learns how to use his newfound powers fighting muggers/bullies (Spider-man)

-Genesis of the villain is directly related to the event/compound that creates the hero (Spider-man)

-Film rests on unconvincing green cgi (Hulk, Incredible Hulk)

-Human/our guy is new to other culture/whatever but in a short time becomes the best at it (gee, I dunno, first time I ever saw this one was Avatar and that film is completely original....)

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I'd watched a bit of it here and there, but somehow came away with a pretty negative impression. I think a lot of it might have had to do with the fact that Disney XD skipped the first several episodes (where they established the heroes as individuals) and went straight to the two-parter where the team forms, so it seemed really jumbled and crazy. Watching it from the beginning on Netflix, however, I'm totally in love with it. Not quite at DCAU-level drama and "realism," but so much fun.

I don't know why but I can't really get into it, maybe it's just a little to over the top for my taste. I'd like less action, more character, but I guess I'm in the minority.

It's an action show, sure. But the thing I like is that it gets the characters right. There's development between the lines, and a lot of overarching plot development. I mean, just in the first season (and a little bit of the second), they've already introduced Kang, the Kree/Skrull war, the entire Asgard mythology, and hints of Secret Invasion and Civil War.

Not to mention all the awesome cameos, including entire episodes dedicated to Guardians of the Galaxy and Heroes for Hire.

Carry On Jack: The first Carry On historical. The screenwriter was still very much trying to get the right balance, and the Napoleanic era isn't the most populist historical starting block, but the film roped in some good supporting actors and cast Bernard "Wilf" Cribbins in the lead role. Not a classic, but on this viewing, not nearly as bad as I remembered - indeed, I reckon it's an average film overall, if not a very good one.

Highlander: This was the first time I've ever seen the film, although I've heard a lot about the concept. I generally liked the story and some specific moments, but the direction is pretty awful, apart from a good moments, and the film in general hasn't aged very well. All in all, it's a nice film, but nothing spectacular.

Just finished a rewatch of Twin Peaks season one with Megan (who watched it for the first time). The last shot blew her fucking mind! This show is so well written, directed and acted that it puts everything on tv right now to shame. Tonally, there's nothing else like it. Genius. On to season two.

Also, if you've followed me on Twitter, you've probably noted my crush on Sherilyn Fenn.

89975.max1024.jpg

Twin-Peaks-Audrey-Horne-Sherilyn-Fenn.png

In fact, there was a good pedigree of babes on the show, to mention a few:

8697_d6c9_960.jpeg

Sorry for the big images...wait. You're welcome for the big images. There we go.

Igby Goes Down Another one of those movies where I wonder how it took my this long to watch it. Really quirky not sure how I would describe it in a movie A meets movie B way. Edit. I'm an idiot, just realised it's Catcher in the Rye in film form. Well not exactly, but Igby definitely has a lot of Holden Caulfield about him.

Sons of Anarchy - Season 4 Only 2 episodes in, the quality is still really good, but I think it might be in that danger category where they think they have to think up crazier shit each season to get people to watch.

Edited by MaxPower

One of the best things about Alias will always be the guest stars. Quentin Tarantino, Christian Slater, Danny Trejo, Rutger Hauer, Ricky Gervais, David Cronenberg, and of course the awesomeness that is a show that owes so much to Bond having Roger Moore in a couple of episodes.

Watched a bunch of motion comics recently. Iron Man Extremis, the first three arcs of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men, going to start on some of the others shortly. They're really pretty enjoyable, and the animation is easily more watchable than a lot of the 90's X-men cartoon.

From Last Night's (Bad) Movie Night:

Tucker & Dale vs Evil: A great take on horror films, especially the Cabin in the Woods type films. Just fucking hilarious.

Alien 3: Not as bad as I remember. Still not as good as the first two and it has some major flaws. Still, far from the worst film in the franchise and it has some really good sets and mood.

G.I. Joe: We watched two episodes. The first, Iceberg Goes South, involves Cobra's plan to take over the world using animal men and one of the Joes gets turned into a whale. The major revelation is that there's a Joe named Snow Job. The other was Cold Slither. What can I say that Dan didn't say a year ago? Most of the episode is just awesome on wheels. Hell, the Joes are barely in it.

Supershark: This might be the worse Made For Sci-Fi SyFy film I have ever seen. It involves a flying shark that can crawl on land. It has tons on terrible actors including an in it for the check John Schneider. This is worth watching once just just how terrible the entire thing is. It's two hours of the best godawfulness you'll ever watch.

Public Access: We got bored. Among our discoveries was a Ghost Hunting show that was mostly an old woman talking about her dead husband, a not-psychic taking readings, and the least enthusiastic exorcism ever. This was followed by a bunch of teens talking into a microphone about whatever crap came to mind including The Room but that only lasted until another male teen changed the subject to, and I quote, "being gay for boobs."

Troll 2: It's Troll 2. What else is there to say that hasn't been said before?

Jem and the Holograms: The episode, The Fan, is pretty much another segment of, "This show should be about the Misfits" in which they talk Jem's biggest fan into kidnapping her, hiring actors to impersonate all of her friends in a total replica of Jem's mansion. It's just insanity that eventually devolves into a potential psychotic break.

Finally buckled down and got a Netflix account. Figured it was a good investment since I have roughly 40 different devices I can use it on.

Should have more activity in this thread from me in the future.