What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23: ABC uploaded the first two episodes to iTunes. Not a bad show. It has some genuinely funny moments to it. I have seen the sitcom gimmick of a celebrity playing an extreme version of themselves but James Van Der Beek is actually doing a pretty good job of it so far. It feels like a real character and not just a random caricature.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23: ABC uploaded the first two episodes to iTunes. Not a bad show. It has some genuinely funny moments to it. I have seen the sitcom gimmick of a celebrity playing an extreme version of themselves but James Van Der Beek is actually doing a pretty good job of it so far. It feels like a real character and not just a random caricature.

It's definitely got potential.

Like I said, I enjoy Jason Bateman, but he doesn't have the most range in the world, he's got about two characters: Jason Bateman and Michael Bluth, which is the same as Jason Bateman, just less outright with his horribleness as a human being.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Not a great show yet, but like you said, definite potential. And I now have a celebrity crush on Krysten Ritter.

Good recommend, just watched the first two episodes. Van Der Beek is like the Barney Stinson of the show, but its way more caustic a show than HIMYM. The second episode was awesome with how twisted it got. Loved how JVDB lists Les Miserables and appearing in a Kesha video in the same sentence when describing acting highlights of his career. Any little nod to Dawson's Creek is always fun.

It's been bugging me, who played Scott in episode 2? IMDB won't tell me.

edit- Ah, it WAS Michael Landes. I thought it was him but his imdb refused to confirm it either. Original Jimmy Olsen from The New Adventures of Superman.

3:10 to Yuma: I'm quite a fan of Christian Bale, so I'm using my LOVEFiLM choices to catch up with his filmography. You keep hearing how the Western is currently dead, but every few years or so you get a pretty good film of the genre - this came out in 2007, True Grit was last year and there have been others. Bale is once again a very solid secon-billed player against Russel Crowe's outlaw leader, who is confident that his capture will only be temporary. Whilst I wasn't a fan of the son character, this made for a pretty tense film, which rarely shied away from the fact that Crowe's outlaw IS a villain, even if he clearly values respect (hence the film's ending). I was surprised how unsettling I found Ben Foster as Crowe's second in command, and it's always nice to see Alan Tudyk in film!

Neds: Recommended by Geek Planet Online's Cinematic Dramatic podcast, I wasn't expecting to like this film because I normally wouldn't go in for harrowing drama regarding 1970s sectarian violence in Glasgow. But this was a compelling film, with a brilliant central performance from both actors to portray protagonist John McGill. I say "protagonist" but really, once he ages from early to mid-teens, the character goes from protagonist to anti-hero as you chart his downward spiral. As well as charting the failings of the familial, educational and academic institutions of the 1970s, without really touching on religion, it goes some way to explain, if not condone, a mindset of juvenile delinquents, which remains relevant today. Not flawless, but certainly worthy of a look.

Blackadder's Christmas Carol: Wrong time of year, granted, but I was in the mood to watch the good version of Edmund Blackadder! Some may find it weird watching Blackadder back now that Hugh Laurie's hit the big time, but here, I love seeing Oscar-winner Jim Broadbent playing Prince Albert as Germanic simpleton alongside Miriam Margolyes' over-sexed Queen Victoria (a partnership dating back to the very first series of The Black Adder, which isn't as well-loved).

Chasing Amy: The third film of the Smith chronology, I wasn't expecting to like a film that revolves around a failed relationship. But I did, as it's a more mature film than his past couple of entries, and whilst it's easily better than Mallrats, I think it's more accomplished as a full film than Clerks, which is more a series of vignettes with a chronological link. Whilst I'm not sure Joey Lauren Adams' voice is the best to lend itself to Smith's dialogue, she does a great job here, as does Ben Affleck and Jason Lee. The downplaying of Jay & Silent Bob is also notable.

Hunger Games- Pleasantly surprised! All I knew going in was that it was like Battle Royale but pg rated which wasn't a recipe likely to make me enjoy it but I did. Good heroine, strong backstory and I didn't even realise it was 2 1/2 hours long until the next day. I'm actually very likely to check out the sequel in the cinema when it comes, since this is clearly a world that can be further developed. Hope the next environment chosen for the games switches everything up.

It would have been so easy for this concept to star Milla Jocovich and have a heavy metal soundtrack but I appreciated the dignity they allowed it. The culture clash between the rich and poor actually reminded me a lot of Firefly, another factor in it's favour.

Being Elmo - Watched this based on nothing more than Stavros mentioning it was good. Elmo is perhaps my least favorite muppet, but this was a fantastic documentary. Like Mike, I loved the sort of 'paying it forward' with the kid at the end. I really liked the behind the scenes looks into the world Sesame Street, specially when Kevin was training the French(?) version of the show.

The Backyard - This was horrible. A documentary about some dumbasses and backyard wrestling. Backyard wrestling can be done better (The Hardy's Omega promotion) than these kids doing incredibly stupid things to each other with barbed wire and fire. Also, it is really misleading of the film maker to promote Rob Van Dam (and his all of 5 minutes of screen time) as the star of the piece.

The Fox 25th Anniversary Special: I'll give them some major props. There was an entire segment going over how the many shows on Fox have made fun of Fox. It recognized Arrested Development and Firefly. I gets major points for that. They also include the scene from Melrose Place where Kimberly rips off her wig revealing that huge scar. Then you have moments like The OC clip package where they don't even have a moment of Julie Cooper or that they only spent 5 minutes on Married With Children. Also, at one point the hosts are bragging about how much Fox has done in premiering Sci-Fi shows, glossing over the... less illustrious things. But then it spent around 15 minutes on fucking American Idol, all the while forgetting that it was a British import. This is longer than the time they spent on Married with Children, 90210, and The Simpsons combined. These were the shows that made the network.

As a side-note, I think the point where That 70s Show jumped the shark is when Donna went blond. She was hot and then... yeah. She forgot that gingers are sexy.

Also, it was nice that Shannen Doherty had the extra time to tape an interview after spending all her time on this kinda stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5EvsDfNnhA

Just watched this week's Game of Thrones. ...Well, that was exactly as disturbing as I'd imagined it would be. I'mma go get the brain bleach now. Also? Fuck Joffery.

My friend and I were staying at this hotel and we flipped the TV over to this... I honestly couldn't believe what I was watching.

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated: The Season 2 premiere accidentally got leaked online. As first it feels like all of last seasons cliffhanger was going to get wrapped up right away and then they throw you for a loop. At one point a character wears a trenchcoat with a mask and, when revealing them self, has the line, "Who were you expecting, Rorschach?" Also, Mark Hamil voices a demon baby man clown. This is what awesome is made of.

Wolverine and The X-Men: I have mixed feelings about this. Mainly, I dislike time travel, and while Xavier is not exactly time traveling, it is close enough for me. I wouldn't mind two concurrent storylines that do not cross, but Xavier being able to 'mind time travel' just doesn't work for me. On the positive side, I like the roster of the team and some of the designs that they used. Enjoyable enough, but not something I think I will ever revisit.

Joseph Gordon Levitt is planning to produce a remake of Little Shop of Horrors. No word on if it's going to be of the Roger Corman original or the Musical. I am rather anticipating this considering the massive crush on have on him and all.

I think there's scope for a remake if they ignore the 80s musical version and do it as a straight horror film with the downbeat ending. I understand why that didn't play out last time around, but keep the tone dark, make Seymour (sp?) and you could have a pretty decent horror film.