The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started my new job, second day, I get a serious panic attack and leave due to feeling horribly ill.

Yeah, working in fast food isn't that fun at all. It is highly stressful with nary a second to think and then you factor in the low pay and the stigma that comes from it and there goes the rest of the fun. The only thing that got me through my brief interlude was putting in applications elsewhere the entire time and being able to look forward to putting in my two weeks.

One thing that is a huge plus about fast food, Suave, is that if you are remotely competent, you'll move up the chain very quickly. Raises and whatnot, along with that. We all know how... lazy and unpleasant I am, and I was management within a year. And that's when I was in High School. And I was awful, I screwed around constantly and acted like a jerkass when it suited me.

And management, even fast food management is always a solid addition to a resume.

Started my new job, second day, I get a serious panic attack and leave due to feeling horribly ill.

Yeah, working in fast food isn't that fun at all. It is highly stressful with nary a second to think and then you factor in the low pay and the stigma that comes from it and there goes the rest of the fun. The only thing that got me through my brief interlude was putting in applications elsewhere the entire time and being able to look forward to putting in my two weeks.

Yeah, I don't know how long I'm going to stay at the job at the moment. I have coursework that needs to be done, and I only want to do the job to help up my finds for tuition fees.

One thing that is a huge plus about fast food, Suave, is that if you are remotely competent, you'll move up the chain very quickly. Raises and whatnot, along with that. We all know how... lazy and unpleasant I am, and I was management within a year. And that's when I was in High School. And I was awful, I screwed around constantly and acted like a jerkass when it suited me.

And management, even fast food management is always a solid addition to a resume.

Yeah, I mostly screwed up on my first day, I need to let them know I don't want to work more than four-five hours at a time, cause next week I'm in for seven eight hour shifts, which will look nice in my pay, but I don't know if it's worth it yet.

Waiting on my work schedule for this coming week. I really wish I could get this thing with a few days of advance notice. I can't make plans for the week if I don't know when I'm supposed to get off/go on.

That's what i HATED about working in a restaurant. The schedule for the week went up on a Wednesday. Meaning I would work Tuesday not knowing if I was scheduled Wednesday. i got away with a lot of skipping out when I became indispensable though. If I didn't close on Tuesday, I wouldn't know if I worked the next day. So I just didn't bother showing up and they didn't do a thing. That all changed when i started making the schedules.

When I worked at Best Buy each supervisor used to make the schedule for his / her department. Then it all got turned over to one manager, and it went right down the tubes. Not only were day-off requests harder to make, hours were simply wrong, and he wouldn't post the schedule until Saturday night. No matter the day, my shift was 6:00a - 2:30p, so that meant I had to make a special trip in on Saturday nights to learn my days for the next week. Granted, they were pretty standard, but you could never be too sure.

One Saturday night the manager didn't post any of the schedules. Not a single department knew who was working the next morning. Even though I worked Sundays, I put my foot down and skipped the day. The next morning I got a call:

Manager: Mike?

Me (groggy): Yeah.

Manager: It's eight o'clock. You were supposed to be here at six.

Me: Really? 'Cause I didn't see a schedule.

Manager: You know your hours.

Me: The schedule wasn't posted, so I wasn't sure.

Manager: When was the last time you didn't work a Sunday?

We went in circles like that for a few minutes. Eventually I ended the call and went back to sleep.

A few days later he tried to write me up for skipping a shift without calling in. We had this exchange:

Manager: Sign this.

Me: What is it?

Manager: A write-up.

Me: Why? What for?

Manager: You know why; you no-called, no-showed on Sunday.

Me: So this is for not doing my job?

Manager: Exactly.

Me: I'm not signing it.

Manager: Excuse me?

Me: I'm not signing it. I'm not signing something that says I didn't do my job, not when it's being handed to me by someone who didn't do his.

Manager: ... You have to sign this, Mike.

Me: No, I don't. You wanna take this to Dave*, I'll tell him why I wasn't here. If he tells me to sign it, I will. But you? No.

At that point I walked away. I'm not sure what was said behind the scenes, but I never signed that written warning. However, I do know he later schemed with my supervisor in an effort to fire me. Those plans were dropped, though, when I announced I found a new job. I gave them something like six weeks notice, so he tolerated my attitude for a little while longer.

I admit I had a chip on my shoulder at that age, and that the job was getting under my skin, so I was probably mouthing off in an effort to get fired. But even still, I don't care if I normally work a day or not, if your job is to make / post the schedule, do it before the next week begins!

*Dave was the store manager.

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago. I got my schedule on Tuesday for the following Sunday. Five days in advance like normal. Every day before I leave I check the schedule just as a reminder. I worked Sat night and didn't have to come in until Wednesday. I had a voicemail saying that I failed to show when I woke up on Sunday. I called a questioned it and they said I was on the schedule. I said I had made plans and couldn't come in.

I go in on Wednesday and get called into the office telling me that I am being fired for being a no-call/no-show two straight days. We argue for five minutes, with me saying I was in class during those times, before I storm out of the office, tear the schedule off the wall and ask where these shifts are listed at. They were all 'well, I guess you are not fired then.'

Turns out, they had demoted the HR person during the week and Friday was her last day. She changed the schedule, and told no one. But she only changed mine and a few others. I knew she had issues with me for not having my hair in a ponytail, but still. I am glad she got fired for that.

Oh boy, these next two weeks are going to be hell. The least of my worries being I don't have money as of present to get to/from school. My monthly bus pass craps out today and I presently have like $7 to my name. I can get to/from school tomorrow by paying the fare, but after that it's sell some tickets to my video game tourney or bum money from friedns...which I hate doing. Can I have my student loan now government?

I have been single for the best part of 2 years. 6 months of that was not being keen on the very concept of relationships; the subsequent twelve months I haven't been looking for anyone to concentrate on saving up for university and visiting various museums to prepare academically. Now I get to university, and all the women I have a passing interest in on my course all have boyfriends at home. Bah, and indeed, humbug.

I don't know where else to ask this, so I'll do it here.

Is it okay to skip a family Christmas party because I don't want to field all of the Jenny-related questions? The extended family on my dad's side only just found out she left me, so there's bound to be lots of questions coming my way. Questions, I might add, I don't want to answer at the first post-breakup Christmas.

Is it okay to skip a family Christmas party because I don't want to field all of the Jenny-related questions? The extended family on my dad's side only just found out she left me, so there's bound to be lots of questions coming my way. Questions, I might add, I don't want to answer at the first post-breakup Christmas.

It really depends on what you want to do.

You could go and hope for the best and try and have a good time, or you don't, just going for an hour, saying hi to a few people then saying you have to go as you feel ill or something to leave. That leaves people able to say "Oh, where's Mike?" "He was here, but he felt sick, something he ate..."

I think it is.

It's always your prerogative. As long as you don't find yourself skipping family altogether at Christmas-time in avoidance, you know?

Edit: I wouldn't do the "tell them not to ask me about" because that's just weird for everyone. Plus, then you're guaranteed for it to happen.

Mike, I completely understand where your coming from. These are painful questions you don't want to be asked, but this is family. Your going to see them again, and there going to try to ask you, again. You need to just go by your gut on weather or not to just bite the bullet.

I have no problem fielding the questions -- I know I'll have to eventually -- but not at Christmas. And even if I have my dad tell them ahead of time not to ask questions, I'll still get "Sorry to hear about you and Jen" comments.

I have an out, though, so I might use it.

And don't worry, I'm not skipping family altogether. Just that group.

Dear Holiday Job:

I signed on assuming I would actually get, you know, hours. One call in on Black Friday and another call-in next Saturday with nothing inbetween does not count as hours.

Really hoping it snows soon so I can at least work my other seasonal and far-better-paying job,

~Hannah

Also, my rec, Mike? Go, answer the basic questions, but make it clear that beyond that you do not want to talk about it.

My fractured elbow is just going to be painful for ages, and I didn't get any decent painkillers out of it. Hurts to write, hurt to holds anything, just feels like my whole arm is bruised to hell. Can't even strap it up to protect it, I'm supposed to keep using it to prevent restricting my range of motion when it heals.

The words "mind your own business fucktard" come in handy. You can use them, I don't mind.

If your teacher gives you guff about it just say "(insert annoying kid's name here) keeps trying to tell me that he isn't wearing any underwear." That'll shut him up and make it damn near impossible for your teacher to follow it up with anything but laughter.

I say this as a teacher but I used it as a student. Classic.