Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, fans! Coming up next: why Casablanca is rubbish because it's in black & white, and why Die Hard is ridiculous bullshit. Et voila - Armond White achievement unlocked!

I'll say this much: the dancing is superb and there are some really funny bits throughout. But it's an hour-long movie stretched out to 1 hour 45 minutes because of all the shoe-horned in dancing that has very little bearing on the overall story. I don't like unfairly projecting motivations on people, but a cynical me would think that Gene Kelly was either over-indulging himself (as co-director) or being over-indulged by using the film as a platform to show off just how great at dancing he is. And he is, unquestionably; but the film overall is really disjointed as a result. Even the title and the (iconic) dance sequence which goes with the title song has nothing to do with anything plot-wise.

I can pinpoint the exact moment of "tedium". At the beginning of the third act, Kelly's character pitches to the studio boss the contemporary dance sequence he wants to start off the film within the film, before it switches to the Cavalier era. There is then a 10-15 sequence of Kelly dancing, without any of the other characters within the film. After this stage, there's only so much time for the Lina subplot of trying to force Kathy to become her official dubbing girl, which is effectively all of two scenes long. It could have been longer, but there simply wasn't room in the runtime - seemingly - because Kelly and O'Connor had to needlessly dance in a speech therapist's office for 5 minutes before subjecting him to a game of human buckaroo. I mean, I don't care for Grease either, but at least all of those songs/numbers tie in with the plot.

Maybe it's just that because I have been watching a lot of other classic films lately - Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Snakes on a Plane - that I thought I was ready to appreciate the film with fresh eyes. It turns out that whilst I can enjoy the acting and the calibre of the dancing, the story is dragged out and badly paced, hence "tedious".

What the fuck could they have possibly cut?? I'm surprised they got away with

Mason cutting off his own face, feeding it to the dogs, and eating his own severed nose

on network TV!

In other news, this series keeps finding ways to make me scream/scar me every week.