What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They started on it prior to the fifth book. Hence why the Twins are nothing like the Twins in the comic.

Part of the reason why the ending is the way it is is because the film isn't setting up Scott/Ramona. It's more setting up Scott/Knives. It was the original ending and a more logical conclusion to the adaptation but oh well.

If I remember correctly, even though the film was in production before the last volumes of the comic were released, the film crew had all of O'Malley's outline notes (and were in constant contact with him) and were totally aware of what was going on.

The problem was that they had started writing the script before they knew that the comics weren't going to do the usual romantic comedy-swerve and have Scott end up with Knives, so they'd already started the movie going down that path. By the time they decided that the comics' ending was better, all they had time to do was reshoot the last scene, hence why Ramona got none of her last-minute amazing character development.

Bridesmaids: A very cute film. I'll admit, if Melissa Mccarthy pulls out a Best Supporting Acress win, I will not be upset. Kristen Wiig does a good job and the writing is pretty good.

The Princess and the Frog: There's some awesome animation here and it is so nice to get a hand-drawn animated film. To be perfectly clear though, Facilier steals the show and earns his place as one of the best of all the Disney Villains.

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Season 7

I pretty much know that this is one of the weaker seasons, but I still like it in spite of the flaws. It's one giant unremitting arc which isn't very Star Trek in style but felt appropriate for a shot that had progressivly become grander and more epic than any of the other Trek shows. However the placement of a lot of the characters feels like they're putting people together to serve the show without really placing them in the proper context of the world overall, Kira working with Damar for example. Kira's the only former terrorist available? Also by the end the stations recurring cast include the reforming voice of a race of shape-shifting purported gods, the Grand Nagus of the Ferengi, the High Chancellor of the Klingon Empire and his Federation Ambassador and the Bajoran Jesus. Not exactly the most grounded show at it's end. Plus 800 milion Cardassian dead was a little nuts at the end, sort of makes the bittersweet ending a little more on the bitter side. Plus Dukat really went into cartoon villainy here, it's the point where his character didn't really have a logical place left to go. Overall the arc is pretty good, it just eliminated any of the potentially really strong individual episodes that normally showed up in the series like Duet or In the Pale Moonlight. It's still one of the best sci-fi shows ever though.

Super: I can see why there's a comparison to Kick-Ass in terms of concept, but the actual film is SO different. Ultra-violent, funny and more realistic. Rainn Wilson kept the film grounded and Kevin Bacon was a great villain (and again, different to his turn in X-Men: First Class), but Ellen Page....egads, Brain! Hot, psychotic, funny and there's an added fun element when you consider she was Shadowcat in X-Men 3. The ending surprised me in that it was a slight downer, given the arc of the protagonist, but at the same time, it makes total sense. All in all, fun stuff, but I wouldn't own it.

Drive: I heard a lot about how stylish this was, but somehow they missed out how brutal it got as well. It can seem a little slow in places, but that space just lets the talent of the actors sparkle and helps you invest in them. Gosling's been a favourite of mine for a while, and he's been putting in great performances in stuff like Full Nelson. Very happy this got recognition, and excellent new twist on a classic genre. Off to buy the soundtrack now.

• 2 weeks later...

The Iron Lady: I said on twitter the first half of the movie is amazing, but the second half feels rushed. I stand by that. It's a good movie, but it just sort of ends. 3.5 out of 5.

Dirty Girl: I was so close to turning this off, as it was so awful. But then, William H Macey showed up as a mormon. So, I had to watch on. it got a hell of a lot better, and overall, was an enjoyable film. 3 out of 5.

Everyone who enjoys this probably hit their head on a TARDIS console.

I concur good chap.

I've heard BOTI and at least one other podcast rag on the episode, as well as going through the commentary and the special feature. I can understand why people wouldn't think it to be great, but I don't particularly see what it does to evoke hatred either. I say this in my email to BOTI, but maybe I'm used to cheap British sci-fi through my Blake's 7/Shake & Blake adventure. And as awesome as Paul Darrow is as the reserved, icy Avon, he's simply a blast as the evil pantomime villain Tekker!

I'm happy to argue the case for the defence, but I certainly acknowledge that it is flawed. Not to the point of TARDIS-induced head trauma, mind you!

Paul Darrow is a blast, absolutely. But there's really no reason to care about the alien civilization of the week, it's full of time wasting, the androids are ridiculous, the Borad (regardless of make up) is an awful villain, and it has another instance of the villain wanting to molest Peri.

I watched Real Steel last night. The first half of the movie can suck a bag of dicks. Both the kid and the father are terrible people that deserved to get punched in the junk. Once they make the Atom robot the movie started getting good. My biggest problem is the only decent character in the movie, the woman, was barely in it. Also, that kid can't act to save his life.

Bad Teacher: I really enjoyed this. I'm not going to watch it again, but it took the teacher who doesn't want to care role, and actually did something fun with it. 3 out of 5

R.V: Yeah, I always enjoy Robin Williams films, but yeah, this was pretty bad. The blu-ray of the film looks like the DVD version, so no noticeable difference. That was the best part about watching this. 1 out of 5.

Alpha and Omega: I lasted 15 minutes before turning this crap off. I know I'm not the target audience, but that doesn't mean you should phone in such dull, poorly written, poorly performed, poorly produced CGI out there. N/A

The Walking Dead: Five minutes into the new episode, it felt like The Walking Dead had never left. But then, the episode just didn't get going. I think this show works a lot better when you watch several episodes back to back, so's that episodes like this get lost in a strong shuffle. But on its own, this just wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Johnny English: Reborn: I love Rowan Atkinson, in anything he does. So, I really liked this. 3.5 out of 5.

50/50: Seth Rogen as the leading man, never works for me, Seth Rogen as the loyal best friend with a heart of gold, is the role he was born to play. Joseph Gordon Levitt really is a great actor. Great film. 4 out of 5

Other than those, I've been watching a lot of Community and Archer recently, why did I wait so long to get into these shows?

Tucker & Dale vs Evil: The concept is a very good one and thankfully the film more than lives up to it. I didn't laugh as much as I thought I would, but there were some top laughs all the same and I was very impressed with the two leads - Wash and that guy from Reaper. Definitely recommended.

Darkman: Whilst I still have a lot more of Sam Raimi's back catalogue to get through, I proritised this one after the insistence of Mr Probert. This is very much his answer to Burton's Batman, with a similar dark and gruesome quality. Given the career he's had since, it seems weird to see Liam Neeson in this kind of role, but he's pretty good, as is Frances McDormand. There's a lot aspects that were recognisably re-used for the Spider-Man trilogy, not least the Bruce Campbell cameo, which was very well done (when it could have been very distracting).