What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished Batman Beyond. Gotta say, it isn't that good. I enjoy the world they create, Terry and his relationship with Old Man Bruce. But the episodes are completely forgettable. The two most memorable things about the series are Return of the Joker & Epilogue.

Maybe this is due to recently reading this, but I would liken the series to the Ben Riley era of Spider-Man. You like the main character and want good things, but everything surrounding said character is bad. Going in, I remembered liking the show. Coming out, I like Terry and not much else.

I kind of agree. I probably like it more than you. I love the characters, animation, music, and all that, but I agree that the episodes, for the most part, are very forgettable. There are a few memorable ones though, namely the ones that feature old villains.

I do think it has great potential however, as can be see in Return of the Joker and Epilogue, and I'd love to see a revival in the future.

Guys, guys guys...don't you know that Dini and Timm are infallible? Be careful, you might get the nostalgia police to come running.

Has anyone seen the new Zombieland tv show? It's not as bad as I feared, but not as good as I want it to be. It needs stars people have heard of so we won't think of the people from the movies.

I hated it. I thought the guy playing Woody Harrelson's part was the worst, the show felt really cheap, and then the ad for how Ikea was able to survive the zombie apocalypse was blatant. Maybe if it got a full series, it'd be better, but right now, I'm not convinced.

I also watched the pilot for the John Goodman sitcom, and apart from the opening scene, it was confusing and very dull.

Has anyone seen the new Zombieland tv show? It's not as bad as I feared, but not as good as I want it to be. It needs stars people have heard of so we won't think of the people from the movies.

I hated it. I thought the guy playing Woody Harrelson's part was the worst, the show felt really cheap, and then the ad for how Ikea was able to survive the zombie apocalypse was blatant. Maybe if it got a full series, it'd be better, but right now, I'm not convinced.

The product placement is insane. I seriously doubt OnStar will still be working after a zombie apocalypse.

The product placement is insane. I seriously doubt OnStar will still be working after a zombie apocalypse.

The part that really annoyed me was introducing characters just to kill them off minutes later, the exact same way, as if to say "Incase you didn't laugh the first time. Here it is again!"

The new Netflix Original Series, Hemlock Grove, is hot garbage. Why can't I stop watching it?

Because this show is a hot fucking (well mythologized) mess and part of you wants to watch to see just how bad it'll get.

Just got to the second to last ep. Oh FUCK THIS SHIT. it's trying to be all oh we're going to take Twilight to its natural conclusion, but somehow this is even worse, even considering all that.

AND GALEN TYROL FUCKING SHOT SHELLY.

Hang on, McCoy is under the Hair Dryer of Learning while Kirk throws the Prime Directive out the window by putting a complete idiot in charge of a planet. But that's okay, because Spock has to walk McCoy through his OWN BRAIN SURGERY.

Holy crap, this is dumb.

I am watching "Spock's Brain" for the first time since I was a small child. It is every bit as horrendous as everyone says.

"He's worse than dead... HIS BRAIN IS GONE!!" Possibly my favorite line of anything ever, I quote it on a regular basis. I always thought "Spock's Brain" was the worst Original sereis episode, that was until I watched "That Which Survies." I don't even know how to describe the awfulness of that episode, I highly recommend it.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It's pretty much what I expected, except a lot harder R than I thought. Somehow, I don't remember fairy tales using the F word this much.

Coincidentally I just watched it last night with a friend of mine. I guess I was in a mood, cause I just didn't enjoy it.

I saw Con Air for the first time last night. Very enjoyable action cheese, although I was particularly surprised by a) that it was 2 hours long, given the concept; b) Dave Chappelle played a terrorist associate; and c)....

I thought Cyrus' death was a bit too overblown, even though his character kind of merited it. He gets driven through and overhanging restaurant - fine. He lands on power cables and gets near-electrocuted - fine with me. A random conveyer belt appears out of nowhere on a Las Vegas street with a pneumatic crusher which Cyrus lands on and is finally killed by.......a little much.

The Company You Keep - I love almost all the people in this, except Shia, but he was even passable. I wish this movie was better than it was, as it has an all star cast, but most of them, as I read in a review, are like watching F1 cars sit in 1st gear, very frustrating. But, one thing this movie did confirm, is that I will now watch anything that has Brendan Gleeson in it.

Rewatching West Wing with my girlfriend, as she never watched it originally. It still holds up, but it's also very frustrating that almost 15 years later we are still talking about the same topics, some have gotten worse (governing by opinion polls in particular).

I saw Con Air for the first time last night. Very enjoyable action cheese, although I was particularly surprised by a) that it was 2 hours long, given the concept; b) Dave Chappelle played a terrorist associate; and c)....

I thought Cyrus' death was a bit too overblown, even though his character kind of merited it. He gets driven through and overhanging restaurant - fine. He lands on power cables and gets near-electrocuted - fine with me. A random conveyer belt appears out of nowhere on a Las Vegas street with a pneumatic crusher which Cyrus lands on and is finally killed by.......a little much.

That's how it all happened in the original novel it's based on.

.......that film is based on a NOVEL?!?!?

*checks wikipedia*

....you win this round, Hemmings...

.......that film is based on a NOVEL?!?!?

*checks wikipedia*

....you win this round, Hemmings...

Based on the novel Push by Sapphire.

I'll add it to the scoreboard.

Read Window: For the longest time, I've held Shadow of a Doubt as my favorite Hitchcock film. Seeing Rear Window has caused me to reassess that. I've seen elements of the film refered to a lot of places but even that couldn't have prepared me for what a good job Hitchcock does here. Just the intricacies that went into the set alone. You have all of these lives going on at the same time that you can often see in the background. Not only that but the performances by Grace Kelly and Jimmy Stewart are just fucking awesome. I love how the people in Stewart's life get caught up in the possibility that this guy across the street murdered his wife. Just a phenomenal film.

John Dies at the End: Now here's a weird one. The movie is about people who take a drug to fight things. It's actually pretty funny and visually inventive. The two leads are incredibly charismatic and it has Clancy Brown in just this cheesy role as a self-help guru that is still just brilliant.

I watch Chuck start to finish over the past week. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would to be honest. The concept evolved enough over time that it never felt too static. The characters evolved and progressed rather becoming parodies which I always fear in a comedic show. And I feel the show handled the post-'will they/won't they tension' better than most shows.

As far as negatives, this show has pacing problems. Given the nature of production, this felt more like seven seasons than the actual five. Seasons 3 & 4 (I feel like the best stretch) both were given additional episode orders and it shows. Neither has the overarching story to make it feel connected. Also, at times the show feels like it is nerd-bating with some of the gags and cameos. Stan Lee showing up randomly? It works. Doing a complete Die Hard sub-plot? Did not work.

While the product placement was obvious, it was so over the top and blatant that I cannot get mad at it. By not being subtle, it never felt like they were trying to subvert the audience. We all know why it was there and a necessary fact for the show to exist. Also, the tone of the show helped.

Glad I watched and glad it got an ending (even if I didn't like it) rather than being canceled without resolution.