Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

Gangster Squad: I only half watched it. It's not terrible but nothing really ever happened all movie. Even Ryan Gosling's abs couldn't save it.

Films: 30

Documentaries: 2

Direct to DVD Films: 5

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 6

Nor could Emma Stone as a gangster's moll.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shining: Let me preface this by saying this is a good adaptation. While it does cut out some of the creepy parts of King's novel (the topiary animals are the primary thing that comes to mind) what it adds visually is great. I mean, this is Kubrick. The man could make a visually interesting film from a cardboard box and paint. That said, I'm not sure I liked the film. The opening credits kinda felt, well, cheap. I mean, the weird font that just scrolls over a long establishing shot. I like the music and the establishing shot, just not the credits. Moving on from that, this movie has been so hyped up for me that I'm mostly disappointed. Jack Nicholson felt a lot like Jack Nicholson here. Shelly Duvall screams a lot and does a couple of things but mostly screams a lot. For that matter, the woman in room 237 gets built up so much and while it's creepy, it's still kinda disappointing. This is a visually stunning movie, I'm just not sure I enjoyed it.

Films: 31

Documentaries: 2

Direct to DVD Films: 5

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 6

Dragonslayer- A decent film that was almost certainly influenced by Star Wars and I'm pretty sure influenced The Lord of the Rings films. MacNicol and Clarke aren't exceptionally great protagonists and while there's nothing wrong with a bit of gore in a medieval film (even a Disney one), I found the beheading of the baby dragons to be a much. However, the score's great and visually it's a pretty strong film, there Vermithrax Pejorative looks miles better as a life-sized puppet than against the green screen. Ripe for a remake.

The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (1989): In which the Incredible Hulk at no point goes on trial; or, John Rhys Davies has literally never said "no" to an offer.

This was the second of three made-for-TV movies reuniting the cast of The Incredible Hulk, and it is all kinds of terrible. That said, I have huge affection for it, as I taped it off TV when it aired and watched the living fuck out of it for several years; this aired a month before Batman '89, and falls very firmly under the category of "This is all we had".

But seriously, it's awful.

In it, Bill Bixby teams up with Rex Smith (from TV's Solid Gold!) as Daredevil, who shows you he's blind by bumping into lots of stuff. Daredevil is fighting to save his nameless sweatstain of a city from the rule of crimelord Wilson Fisk, as played by Gimli, son of Gloin. And as such, this is virtually all DD. It's a blatant backdoor pilot, and the Hulk is a virtual guest star in his own movie. The acting is awful, there is no budget whatsoever, and it hits absolutely every 1980s made for TV crime movie note there is. JRD does the absolute best he can with his lines and almost manages to be charismatic, but... no. Bill Bixby directs, and he's the same incredible actor he always was, but the direction is flat and lifeless. It does have a claim to fame, though, as being the first Marvel movie to boast a Stan Lee cameo. Also, at one point the Hulk is actually wearing purple pants, and that NEVER happened.

Again, though, I have warm memories for this, so I still managed to get some enjoyment.

Also, the DVD started with trailers for 18 Again!, Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, and Transylvania 6-5000. Heh.

Excalibur (1981): I believe fully that in 1935, Carl Orff sat down and wrote Carmina Burana and thought to himself, "A few decades from now, a movie will be made where my arrangement of 'O Fortuna' will be used for a scene of King Arthur and his knights thundering into battle with banners streaming behind them, and if this is true, my life's pupose will have been fulfilled."

The Damned United- The perfect sports film for someone who's not into sports or sports films. The split narrative between Brian Clough's managership at Derby and at Leeds shouldn't work, but Sheen and Spall's performances and with Peter Morgan's script make it sing.

The Hunger Games: this movie is an insufferable turd. One of the worst I have seen in years. There is nothing to care about in the characters. There is a ridiculous design element that they do absolutely nothing with. The acting may as well be static images of wooden cigar store Indian statues. Pathetic.

Godzilla: review forthcoming on Dread Media in a couple weeks.

Prohibition Ep. 1 A Nation of Drunkards: Ken Burns is not the most exciting guy. This is the first installment in (I think) the fourth doc of his that I have seen, but I am counting this as its own documentary as it's 90 minutes long. This is the most lively and engaging of anything I've seen of his, but it is still boring.

Feature Films: 66

Documentaries: 14
Shorts: 16

The Hunger Games: this movie is an insufferable turd. One of the worst I have seen in years. There is nothing to care about in the characters. There is a ridiculous design element that they do absolutely nothing with. The acting may as well be static images of wooden cigar store Indian statues. Pathetic.

With a movie like this, there's no way you would've gone into it having already made up your mind about it right?

With a movie like this, there's no way you would've gone into it having already made up your mind about it right?

Actually, I'm really good about judging the film based on its own merits. I have reviewed my fair share of movies. The faux dustbowl imagery, the quiet depressive nature of District 12, the sheer doe-eyed nonexistance of a character, the complete inability to contrast that opening imagery with the over-the-top stuff later on. The list goes on and on. There are some tense moments later on when the director loses his vision and has a second or so of decent action direction, but the first hour is so torpid, so languid, that it buys zero good will from me.

The ONLY thing I go into a movie expecting is to be entertained.

Okay, It's just hard for me to wrap my head around someone hating the movie that much. I'm not defending it by any means but.. one of the worst you've seen in years? Poor acting and directing is all it takes to be one of worst? The movie I saw just brushed past me, I don't see how anyone could really hate it or love it. And I remember Jennifer Lawrence having a character, maybe just a tired caricature but not a wooden statue.