Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godzilla- (see thread of same name)

Office Space- Yeeeeeaaaaaah...Perhaps I've been spoiled by The Office, this really didn't do much for me. Livingston's acting seemed completely phony and the humor is not nearly strong enough for me suspend my disbelief about the plot's absurdities. Gary Cole and Dietrich Bader were nice surprises, though.

A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- I was recently exposed the source material for the first time via the Stephen Fry-narrated audiobook and it was absolute fucking blast. Given the brilliance of the book and the strength of the cast, I really wanted to like the film version. Unfortunately, it's clearly a mashing of the original and one or more of its sequels and mostly just bored me.

Thor: The Dark World- First-time viewing. Easily the best of the four major superhero films released last year, with higher stakes, better action and visuals, and awesomeness from Loki than the first. However, a big bloody MacGuffin, the wasted talent of Christopher Eccleston, and the Midgardians being morons all prevent it from being a great film for me.

X-Men: This and Blade are the main reasons we currently have our explosion of comic book movies. It is a very fun film. That said, so much of the film is introducing the world and characters that the plot often feels forced to move along. Between that and the end movie action sequence that barely feels like it has any weight to it, I'm not sure if I still enjoy this movie. Then I remember Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellan, and Patrick Stewart and everything is better.

X-2: So much better than the first one. We have the requisite new characters but the plot flows naturally. Outside of Jean sacrificing herself at the end... WHEN YOU HAVE A KID THAT CAN FREEZE THINGS IN THE PLANE... there's nothing overly stupid about the plot. Magneto is still a misguided extremist, Patrick Stewart remains the heart of the film, and there is next to no Cyclops. All the characters get a time to shine for the most part with the exception of Rogue who's kinda just there to be girlfriend.

X-Men: Days of Future Past: Despite at least one glaring plot hole and a few overall continuity problems, plot wise and acting wise, this is the best one in the series. While X-2 has the better overall package, this one has plenty of moments of fun combined with some serious weight to the events and some damn good action scenes. Winter Soldier is a better comic book movie but this is a close second.

Films: 34

Documentaries: 2

Direct to DVD Films: 5

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 6

Countess Dracula: Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, Ingrid Pitt, and also Ingrid Pitt.

Feature Films: 68

Documentaries: 14
Shorts: 16

Just looked up Ingrid Pitt. Definitely from the Christina Applegate clone batch.

Actually Christina Applegate would be from the Ingrid Pitt clone batch...

He's got you there.

Hesher: Wild cast. Joseph Gordon Levitt, Rainn Wilson and Natalie Portman all supporting a little kid who is fucking incredible. This is kind of an insane heavy metal-tinged coming of age story where Levitt sort of kind of plays a God of Chaos. Also, this is only the second movie (that I can think of) that Metallica has licensed their music to. I understand that Levitt based his character on Cliff Burton so maybe that's how they were able to do it. I dunno. Good movie.

Feature Films: 69

Belle- Slavery is bad.

Airplane- About 85% hilarious, 8% dated or repetitive, and 7% questionable if not racist.

Bend It Like Beckham- Used to hate this film because it was sucking up to a living celebrity. Rewatch it ten years later and that's not as much the case, it is a rather rote old vs. new story that goes on at least twenty minutes too long.

Shakespeare in Love- Fanciful but fun romp. Some of the characters are cartoony, but none of the performances are bad. I'd say it was written by Shakespeare fans, for Shakespeare fans were it not my gateway to it.

Today I went to see the one movie I KNEW I was not going to watch this year. I only did so because the kids are gone and Megan was like "Let's go to a movie" and this was playing in town.

A Million Ways to Die in the West: It has about as many laughs as one of the early Family Guy episodes...you know...before everyone figured out it was all the same shit every week. Not terrible. Not good either. Some decent filmmaking and, even slumming it, Charlize Theron is a fucking breath of fresh air. I could probably watch a two hour movie of her face.

Feature Films: 70

Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters: This was alright. I liked the mythology. It was an interesting framework for applying Greek mythology into the real world which is something I've been working on a long time too. I never saw the first one but this did a pretty good job of keeping me interested without having to have seen the first. It has Stanley Tucci. Alexandra Daddario, who was naked and hot in True Detective and has been half naked and hot in a lot of horror films plays a fifteen year old. This movie came out last year. I panicked before I looked it up and she's 28. TWENTY-EIGHT!!! This is pretty good. It won't change your life, but it's pretty damned entertaining.

Feature Films: 71

Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have lost count of the number of times I have seen this movie. I really have. This is the first time I've seen it in a theater. Just something about watching it on the big screen makes it all feel like some kinda special magic. Don't get me wrong, I love watching a movie on DVD but seeing a real classic projected there onto the silver screen is wonderful. I had forgotten how sleek this film was (and how much of a dick that monkey was). If you ever get the chance to see it in a theater, do it.

Films: 35

Documentaries: 2

Direct to DVD Films: 5

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 6