Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darryll and I were so fucking drunk during the Escape from LA review that we talked for almost fifty minutes, and I'm pretty sure that we never even mention Peter Fonda once. Amazing.

I'm really hoping there's a usable 30 minutes in that massive audio chunk.

Serenity: Thoughts in BDH 75.

Guardians of the Galaxy. So much fucking fun. It has some problems but probably my favorite Marvel movie so far.

Batman: Assault on Arkham: First things first. The name is false advertising. This is a Suicide Squad movie. Most of the film is spent with the squad and that's part of the awesome. But then, it remembers its supposed to be a Batman film, and one that takes place in the Arkham Series at that, and it falters more than a bitat that point. Still, kudos to them for what they did while they had the time for it.

Films: 48
Documentaries: 2
Direct to DVD Films: 6
Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 8

Rewatch: 1

Hell of the Living Dead: Hoo boy! Looking for a bad movie night flick? Check this out. It's out on a double feature blu ray with RATS: NIGHT OF TERROR which I haven't watched yet. So, there might be a bad movie double feature there! I'll check back in after watching it.

Feature Films: 103

Documentaries: 19
Shorts: 17
Rewatches:2

Charles Laughton Directs The Night of the Hunter: I'm counting this as a documentary.. Because, man I thought I knew a lot about this movie before. Now I think I know everything about it. This is a 2 hour and 40 minutes compilation from 8 hours of alternate and unused takes as well as outtakes from the film. Everyone who is into film, or a filmmaker should absolutely 100% watch this.

Batman: Assault on Arkham: Yet another thing pretending to be in continuity with everything else they've done lately. This is a Suicide Squad story. Batman's barely in it. Which is good, because these new animated Batmans kind of suck. The animation is pretty good, and the dialogue is kind of funny, yet crude. VERY not great for little kids. VERY not great. I'd pass given the chance to go back in time.

Feature Films: 109

Documentaries: 21

Showgirls: Still one of my favorite movies. Yes, it's terrible as fuck but, outside of that one scene, it's fun also. I watched it with a Showgirls Virgin this time. He was baffled by most of the film and why characters would talk half the time. Can't blame him.

Rifftrax Live: Godzilla: Not one of their better shows but still fun enough. They're repeating it on Tuesday. It's worth checking out.

Dark Dungeons: I liked it mostly. There were a couple of points that they descended a bit too far into parody. One of the charms of the tract that spawned it is that it was meant to be serious. This, I still found hilarious but for entirely different reasons. Still, worth the five dollars.

Films: 49
Documentaries: 2
Direct to DVD Films: 6

Short Flms: 1
Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 9

Rewatch: 1

Showgirls: Still one of my favorite movies. Yes, it's terrible as fuck but, outside of that one scene, it's fun also. I watched it with a Showgirls Virgin this time. He was baffled by most of the film and why characters would talk half the time. Can't blame him.

So do you buy into that whole, it's actually brilliant satire thing?

Comics in Focus: Chris Claremont's X-Men (2014): Sequart's most recent documentary about a specific creator, this gives a quick rundown of the seventeen years Claremont spent on Marvel's top book. I got the ultra-super-deluxe download package, which turns out to have been money well spent; the doc itself is informative enough, but the bonus content, an additional three hours of interviews from Claremont along with his editors Louise Simonson and Ann Nocenti, are truly amazing. Without the need to cut and shape them into a documentary narrative, it's just three friends sitting around shooting the shit about what it was like to be in the middle of all that craziness, and some of the stories are hugely entertaining (with a fair amount of "You think that was a Jim-Shooter-was-a-crazy-asshole story? Well, wait 'til you hear this one!") while also spending a fair amount of time alluding to, but not directly addressing, the fact that Claremont's X-Men run was neck-and-neck with Marston and Peter's original Wonder Woman comics in the "kinky shit that flew over the heads of kids who didn't always understand why the comics made them feel weird" sweepstakes.

Flash Gordon: Still the greatest example of a pulp film, and the greatest example of a space opera. Crazy and hilarious. Princess Aura was a childhood crush, and that still remains. Brian Blessed is my spirit animal. Timothy Dalton has the biggest pulp cred for being in this one and Rocketeer. And that score? Win.

Feature Films: 110

Flash Gordon: Still the greatest example of a pulp film, and the greatest example of a space opera. Crazy and hilarious. Princess Aura was a childhood crush, and that still remains. Brian Blessed is my spirit animal. Timothy Dalton has the biggest pulp cred for being in this one and Rocketeer. And that score? Win.

fist-bump.jpg

fist-bump.jpg

I second this.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: This is nowhere near as bad as I heard. It's too long (I've been saying that way too often lately, Hollywood; stop making 2.5 hour superhero movies) and too full of bad guys (Electro, Green Goblin, Rhino) and plot lines for it to be totally coherent. However, on the whole I had a decent time with this. Andrew Garfield is Spider-Man. That guy I see on screen, making jokes and whipping around in the air, that's Spidey. And because for the first time in my life I totally buy a live-action Spider-Man (Maguire was a great Peter, but his Spider-Man was not really great), I can enjoy the rest of what I'm seeing. I also like that the Rhino stuff was incidental and not part of the main action, even if it was kind of a waste of Paul Giamatti.

The death of Gwen Stacy, which I totally knew was coming, was a total gut punch nevertheless. Excellent work all around.

fist-bump.jpg

I second this.

And the score ain't bad either.

The Princess Bride: Last night I watched Flash Gordon with the boys and decided to continue with another of the great kids adventure films of the 80s. Mandy Patinkin is truly a delight in this movie. On rewatch, it doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped. Wallace Shawn is incredible and Robin Wright...yowza!

Feature Films: 111

Downloaded: the Napster doc. I'd heard a lot of good things. I didn't think it was very good. It's very bland, actually. It decompels a compelling story which is what a lot of docs do. There is one great moment though, where Shawn Fanning today finally has the realization how much money the company lost at the end because for years he had been working on the knowledge that Napster lost 100 million dollars of the capital invested. Nope. A little more than that. Shocking to see not just how bad they were at business, but how just plain ignorant of human nature, law and any form of street smarts they were.

Grabbers: A pretty great little Irish horror comedy where a small island has to face off against a tendrilled monster who is allergic to alcohol. And so, they have to maintain a .2 blood alcohol level. Pretty Irish.

Feature Films: 112

Documentaries: 22

Grabbers: A pretty great little Irish horror comedy where a small island has to face off against a tendrilled monster who is allergic to alcohol. And so, they have to maintain a .2 blood alcohol level. Pretty Irish.

Feature Films: 112

Documentaries: 22

HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS?