Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

I thought you were quoting yourself as someone who agreed with you for a moment there Dubs.

Yeah, my housemates are into shit films and I've had to ward them away from rubber a couple of times as they've cycled through Netflix. They can save it for when I'm not there.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben and Arthur: Imagine The Room. Imagine Birdemic. Now imagine that their directors had a baby who imitated his fathers to make a movie. Now imagine that that movie was, despite being made by a gay person with a gay cast, one of the most homophobic and hilariously bad things put to screen. Then you got Ben and Arthur which... yeah.... I'm still trying to figure this shit out.

Films: 41
Documentaries: 2
Direct to DVD Films: 5
Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 6

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN: I needed something of substance to wash my mind of the shitfest that was Rubber. This one isn't perfect, however. The first half of the movie is far too frenetic to really get into it. Scenes are less than a minute long and flash across three or fours timelines in the life of a young family. When the 45 minute mark hits, the film slows and eases into scenes, building character and taking us through to the climax of many timelines. It must have been a bizarre film to write. I wonder if it was simply written linearly and then jumbled to add...confusion? I don't know. What it is, is a fucking terrific showcase for the talent of Tilda Swinton. She is the star of this and accounts for probably 95% of its screentime. It's a difficult film to watch, cinematically, and emotionally, but it is worth it. Good stuff.

Feature Films: 76

Documentaries: 14
Shorts: 16
Rewatches:1

Rock & Rule: as the first animated feature film produced entirely in Canada, it is a curiosity that somehow manages to procure original songs from Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Debbie Harry, Earth, Wind & Fire and Cheap Trick. Crazy.

Feature Films: 77

Bit of catch up.

Avengers: Still something I can turn on if I want background noise, or just something as a comfort watch. Good character moments, and fun visual sequences. It's no Serenity, but it's still pretty good.

Nanny Diaries: Very different at times from the book it was adapted from, but still kind of the same at its core. I resent the use of an anthropological study as the framing device, as she would've had to get releases in order to even be able to use the story (and just getting the whole anthropology thing wrong, period), but it's got ScarJo and some nice Chris Evans eye candy. Good mindless watch.

MLP: Equestria Girls: I only watch this when drunk. There's a reason for that - the human furry characters that dominate most of the movie/exist to sell merchandise/star in bronies' fuck fantasies.

Star Trek Into Darkness: I watch this for Cumberbatch, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, and the pretty. That's literally about it.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World: This gets watched at least once a year. The movie's near and dear to my heart, and one of my favorite Edgar Wright films.

Pacific Rim: Best watched on the biggest, highest def screen you have. The way it sounds from what Del Toro said was cut, this could really benefit from a director's cut. Watch this for fun and for fighting robots and monsters, and fun characters.

Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell: a rewatch from last year. This is a contender for the best genre film ever made. LOVE IT. Rewatching because I'm deadlined on an essay for this film. For a book of Vampire Movie essays, I'm REALLY stretching the theme here, but I'm glad I am. I just want to write about this movie.

Feature Films: 78

Duck Tales The Movie: I wore out my tape of this when I was a kid. I've watched it since then, mainly on YouTube. That said, I wanted an actual copy. I started doing Disney's rewards crap just to get a DVD copy only for them to take it off the site just before I had enough points. So, I ended up buying it on VHS from our local used vendor. Still mostly decent but it also looks like a feature length version of the TV show.

Kung-fu Hustle: One of the most fun and absurd martial arts films I have ever seen. I kinda want to watch this the same night as Black Dynamite since they are both affectionate parodies of their source genre. For the record, The Landlady is my new hero. The second she showed up, I knew I would love her and I was correct in that assumption. Just so much fun. If you go in expecting something serious, you need to watch some better Kung-fu.

Films: 43
Documentaries: 2
Direct to DVD Films: 5
Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 6

Superheroes: Haven't watched a doc in a little while, so I chose this. It is really 80% people who are mentally ill in some way, and 20% good intentions. Some of these people...yeesh. Others are scarily organized and a little bit cracked. It's a weird gathering of people. Thanatos is a guy from Vancouver who is in this film who used to attend my band's shows a while back. We shared an aesthetic. He was a cool guy who was far more concerned about feeding the homeless and helping the drug addled than baiting people into committing a crime. I witnessed him save a life once. But he wasn't going out on patrol and confronting people either. Fun Fact: Thanatos gives his interview in this movie five feet from where my grandmother is buried. This movie feels a little exploitative. The topic is interesting, but I honestly couldn't see how it could be tackled without being exploitative. Worth a watch, I suppose.

Feature Films: 78

Documentaries: 15

Back to the Future 3: I'm okay with Marty running into a genetic duplicate as an ancestor a hundred years in the past, but a genetic duplicate of his current girlfriend being his great great grandmother? That's kind of fucking weird. This is a fun film in the series regardless, because it gives Christopher Lloyd something to do.

Feature Films: 80

That Thing You Do!: "School's" over and we celebrated by lunchtime with a movie as a family. While this film reeks of a passion project and happens to have TWO magical negro characters, it is kind of a perfect film. The song is perfect, the cast is great (especially Steve Zahn who is eating scenery out of a trough) and it has Charlize Theron before she lost thirty pounds. Good lord. How grande. I even think Liv Tyler is pretty good. Crazy.

Feature Films: 81

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero: In short, pretty awful. My kids were even bored by this. I guess this was a springboard off of one of the better BTAS episodes, but this should have been abandoned at the idea phase. The story mistakes here and blinding. If you have a list of like 9 people who are matches for Freeze's wife, why kidnap one who isn't the Commissioner of police's daughter? Just one of the many flaws in this one. While it's been a long time in between viewings on this one, I can guarantee I will never revisit this again.

Feature Films: 83

Escape From Tomorrow: Sixty minutes into a ninety minute movie, this happened:

Wendee: Shouldn't Act Two have started by now?

Dan: I would have thought so.

Wendee: We're two-thirds in and really nothing has happened yet.

Dan: We came for a horror movie and so far we've had an hour of this asshole family yelling at each other.