Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anchorman 2: One of the better comedy sequels ever made. That said it's not even close to the first one. Some truly amazing cameos, though. Not as infinitely quoteable, not as funny, but it's got a few good moments.

Silverado: A Classic Western not made in the Classic Western period. I love this movie so much there is zero chance of my being even the slightest bit critical of it. I've resisted buying it on DVD/Blu-Ray because I fear I would watch it too much and grow bored of it. Brian Dennehy gives us a bad guy who doesn't think he is the bad guy, and I love that.

Mortified Nation: Pretty good documentary about a live theatre movement where people read their childhood/teenagehood diaries to a packed club of onlookers. Interesting. A little repetitive, but some really good stories.
Feature Films: 54
Documentaries: 12
Shorts: 13

Gosford Park: Agatha Christie meets Downton Abbey, with a script by the series' creator Julian Fellowes and Maggie Smith as another haughty aristocrat. Even for an Altman film, the first half is a bit slow and many of characters don't get much personality. Overall, though, it's a good unconventional murder mystery, and with actors like Smith, Michael Gambon, Bob Balaban, and Helen Mirren, it's hard to complain (though Stephen Fry's detective really does get short shift).

Incidentally, the valet (portrayed by Derek Jacobi) is called Probert.

Submarino: Directed by Thomas Vinterberg, director of The Hunt. An horrifically bleak yet touching tale of infant mortality, drug abuse, parenthood, and redemption. The ending beat is kind of telegraphed and the first hour or so is not for the faint of heart, but it's well worth two hours and a tear or too.

The Breakfast Club: Not much to contribute here that Hannah didn't say last week. I don't understand, though, why the five students end up calling themselves "The Breakfast Club". Could someone explain that me?

Planet Hulk: This really does not work on its own. Without the WWH thing of him being sent away and returning to earth with an army, it doesn't have any dramatic weight. The animation was lacklustre as well. They showed still images of the characters in the credits and both my kids wished it looked more like that. I tend to agree.
Feature Films: 55
Documentaries: 12
Shorts: 13

Everything we watched at C2E2 edition:

The Room: The Room is a movie best watched with a crowd. Got some great riffs out of this one.

Birdemic: Watched the Rifftrax version again. See what I said last time.

Street Fighter: One of the most beautifully hilarious movies ever crafted. Would say more but, well, that would be potentially spoiling.

Revelation: One of my favorite bad Christian Apocalypse films. Outside of two of the most obvious villains in movie history, it also has a blind woman who only speaks in eye sight puns, some unlikable protagonists, and a villain who literally shoots the dog.

Warriors of the Wasteland: I love me a good bad movie. I first saw this one a few years ago. Despite being an obvious cash-in on Mad Max, it has it's own special charm. It has everything you could ask for: A female lead who's allergic to pants, a gang made up of White Snake rejects, and perhaps the goofiest final act that I can remember. Seriously, between the Pop-o-matic car and the Rapeflex... yeah.

Films: 29

Documentaries: 2

Direct to DVD Films: 5

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 6

Mean Girls: Ten years out, and this is still an accurate portrayal of high school life for a girl. There's some stuff that doesn't age as well, message wise, but this is still pretty damn hilarious.

Hook: Watched this for nostalgia's sake because of Bob Hoskin's passing. Still a beautiful, imaginative movie, and the kids' acting holds up pretty well. Hoskins and Hoffman are still the main reason to watch this, though, though Maggie Smith and Emma Thompson do very well for the limited time their roles are on screen.

Last week I watched Rebel Without a Cause, this week I watched Bigger Than Life. Both in the theater, both in 35mm. The only thing I love more than black and white films is CinemaScope under those conditions, especially Nicholas Ray in CinemaScope.

Short Term 12 (2013) directed by Destin Daniel Cretton

Absolutely, without a doubt the best film of 2013 and one of the best films I've ever seen. Easily the most raw and emotionally draining film I've ever seen. I won't spoil anything but the film is about these four young adults who work a center that houses troubled children and that's about all you need to know before watching the movie. All of the performances are incredible most notably Brie Larson who is chillingly good. This movie alone is evidence that Destin Daniel Cretton will become one of the most important writer-directors of this generation. I had exactly one problem with this film and it's so minor it would be silly to bring it up.

I Am Not A Hipster (2012) directed by Destin Daniel Cretton

So after Short Term 12, I knew I had to seek out any other film Destin Daniel Cretton. Luckily his first film was on Netflix, so I watched it. Much lighter and inturn not nearly as good as Short Term 12. Still a good film however, and definitely evidence of Cretton's talent.

The Dirties (2013) directed by Matthew Johnson

Better than I expected but still containing many issues. The one issue I have with this movie that doesn't concern the found-footage aspect is with the main character (who happens to be played by the film's director.) So this kid Matt, the films protagonist is funny, likable, has friends, a loving mother, very extroverted, talks to everyone including attractive girls with hesitation, passionate about films etc. a person like this would never do what he does at the end of this movie. Sure he is bullied and has issues with his friend but that isn't enough to make someone like this do what he does. That aside, every single thing is this movie is ruined by the fact that it is supposedly a found footage film. Nothing makes any goddamn sense at all if you're supposed to believe that there is always some guy there with a camera. The brilliant final scene is absolutely butchered if we were supposed to believe there was someone else in that room filming. To nullify this problem I convinced myself that this "guy with the camera" is actually an imaginary creation of the main character. After all, as far as I can remember he's the only one who ever speaks to him directly. This theory doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it makes more sense than there being a guy we never see, always holding a camera in every scene of the film. Aside from those two flaws it was a surprisingly engaging, often funny movie and I would actually recommend it.

These three films are on Netflix and I would recommend all of them (but watch Short Term 12 before I Am Not A Hipster).

Feature Films: 13

Documentaries: 2