Every film you've watched in 2014

Koete

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bates Haunting: A straight to DVD slasher flick that's named as such to try to capitalize on Bates Motel. It's about murders at a Hayride that really make no sense. Pretty shitty stuff but it's straight to DVD so fuck that noise.

I Know Who Killed Me: Fucking terrible shit.

Sixteen Candles: Of the three Molly Ringwald John Hughes films, this is probably the weakest. It's not a bad movie per say but so much of it is downright farcical and there's a very terrible stereotype in there that's just painful to watch.

Super Mario Bros: A pretty shitty movie but far from the worst video game movie I've ever seen. The thing I noticed the most is that the Bros. are nearly incidental to the plot. That and Koopa isn't actually a terrible villain. I don't mean that as he's a good villain, I mean that in that he's not a bad leader considering the people he rules are assholes and the old leader is trying to crush the city.

Jack the Giant Killer: I watched the RiffTrax live production. It was one of their weaker live events but still entertaining enough.

Films: 16

Documentaries: 2

Direct to DVD Films: 5

Rifftrax/MST3k Assisted Films: 5

Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher - That was a steaming pile. Animation was slow and clunky. It felt almost like a motion comic at times. But the 'highlight' would be the voice acting. You would get more emotion out of a Speak N Spell. I don't understand how Marvel continues to suck so hard on these animated features.

Return to Nuke 'Em High vol. 1: Oh. My. God. As close to I've seen Troma come to being an art film. Something I forgot to mention in the recorded review is that this film not only deals with a relatively serious lesbian courtship (Troma-fied, of course) with some great photography. Also, this is one of the only films I've seen lately that passes the Bechdel test with flying colors in the very early part of the film. Kind of a delight, actually.

Feature Films: 47
Documentaries: 11
Shorts: 13

Dark Knight Rises - Haven't watched this since opening night in theaters. Cannot say a second viewing has changed my opinion much. Too long, still hate the Bane voice and I was bored. Plus, Pete Holmes has ruined this for me, but at least is cured my boredom problem. THE CLEAN SLATE.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: I enjoyed it. It felt like a 70s conspiracy film which was appropriate. Honestly, I think this was one of the stronger of the Marvel Films. That said, Guardians of the Galaxy is so going to blow this out of the water.

Films: 17

Heat: Pretty fucking funny. Sandra Bullock is a good straight woman and Melissa McCarthy is pretty hilarious when she's a potty-mouthed nutjob. I have liked her in the two things I've seen her in, but I can see that schtick getting old. There was a huge underuse of Jane Curtin and Bill Burr in this movie, but other than that, it was pretty fun.

Overall, I think I can say with all certainty that it is my second favorite film named Heat.

Feature Films: 48

The Way Way Back: I'm not a fan of the parents' one-dimensional portrayals, but Alison Janney, the lead kid and the fucking glorious Sam Rockwell makes this worth watching. A great little summer coming of age film, and man Rockwell is just the best.

Feature Films: 49

Lady Snowblood: Terrifically bloody and visually wonderful. The story... it's your standard revenge story. I mainly watched it because it so influenced Kill Bill. As is, I did heavily enjoy it and will definitely watch it again.

Marvel's The Avengers: Not quite as awesome the second time but still a good enough film. There are a few moments that are more than a little odd after seeing Winter Soldier but still, over all, an entertaining film.

Films: 19

Milk: I just showed this to 4 teenage boys in my History Through Film class. Only one of them left. Not too bad, I guess, considering where I live. One even told me he liked it (he's thought everything else was boring so far). This is an astoundingly well-acted film, not just by Penn either. Brolin, O'Hare, Luna all give great performances. I liked James Franco in it. I liked James Franco in it. I meant to say that twice. It's significant. I LOVE how this film is made to look and feel like it was made in the 70s. In fact, it's almost perfect except for one moment that is so full of bathos that it almost ruins the movie for me. Almost.
After My Own Private Idaho, this is Van Sant's best film.
Feature Films: 50

X-Men First Class: finally saw this last night, and honestly, it was one of the more solid X-Movies I've seen in a white. Some really weird racial politics (the only non-white mutants either go evil or get dead), but the integration of the politics of the time was a really nice touch, especially the identity politics. Felt kind of jumbled with everything they were trying to accomplish at times, but a pretty solid story. Interested to see how they're gonna try and merge the two canons in DoFP now,

Though, let's be real, I am here for a two hour film of Magneto: Nazi Hunter.

The Purge: This is a movie that, quite honestly, I love the premise. I like the entire idea of a dystopia that controls it's people by making all crime legal for 12 hours a year. That said, the execution of the film as a whole leaves a lot to be desired. Like, it felt like taking such an awesome idea and then turning it into a house under siege film was doing it an injustice. Plus, a fair amount of it felt like they compromised on the premise as a whole. Still, I really can't wait for the sequel if for no other reason than it looks like they might actually deliver on the premise.

Films: 20

Frozen: I hated the music, the dialog was mostly intolerable, the characters were annoying, aside from Hans, who was clearly displaced from Westeros. Wasted Josh Gad, too.

The effects were nice, though.

In short, Tangled was fuckloads better, and I don't know why the world is so in love with this damn movie.

Frozen: I hated the music, the dialog was mostly intolerable, the characters were annoying, aside from Hans, who was clearly displaced from Westeros. Wasted Josh Gad, too.

The effects were nice, though.

In short, Tangled was fuckloads better, and I don't know why the world is so in love with this damn movie.

Thank you!

Exorcist III

Feature Films: 51

I had structural issues with Frozen (who the hell is raising these orphaned princesses, there was seriously a missing character or two in here) but I don't get any traditional Disney fan not enjoying the songs. For the first time in forever and Love is an open door were excellent.

I'm actually kind of surprised you disliked the music, it's the same people who wrote Avenue Q.

I like it mostly because of what it's willing to do in inverting most of the Princess tropes, solid music, and it being really fucking pretty, but I get how it might not be other peoples' thing - there are a few plot holes you can drive a truck through, to say the least.

That does it!--I'm seeing it tonight.

A Fistful of Dollars- The first full Sergio Leone film I've sat through and now my new favorite western. Eagerly looking forward to A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

The Idiots (1998)- The first Dogme-95 film--a cinematic movement launched by Lars von Trier and three other Danish filmmakers, resolving to make films without relying on special effects, sets, costumes, artificial lightening, incidental music, or audiences. This one follows the highs and lows of a group of people acting as though they are mentally handicapped, in order to save money, protest bourgeois society, and come into contact with their "inner idiot".

I previously disparaged this movie in the Lars von Trier Favorite/Best poll and even suggested that it be covered by the Tirades, but now have to take that back: It's a surprisingly poignant and (unsurprisingly) challenging story with a lot of laugh-out loud movements, and not just in the I'm-not-supposed-to-laugh way. The handheld camera can be distracting and at times is sloppy (we see second unit cameraman at one point, and the stick with the mike at another), but it's not the shaky-cam that everyone decries.

Dungeons and Dragons: It's not perfect but it has the occasional moment of not sucking. That said, the villains are laughable and the heroes? Totally ineffective. I've played D&D for years and, I can say with all honesty, this is almost as bad as playing 4th Edition. Tom Baker plays an Exposition Fairy Elf.

Return to Oz: Disturbing in the extreme but not a bad movie. If you go in expecting a happy musical, a rude awakening is waiting for you. Otherwise, good though prone to the occasional bit of fridge horror/everyday horror.

The Warrior and the Sorceress: How do we start? David Carradine puts in hardly any effort, the lead actress does the entire movie topless, and you have to look carefully to find a plot. It could have been an enjoyable movie but this is cheesy 80s movie to the extreme.

The Legend of the Titanic: We were going to watch Titanic: The Legend Goes On but then I started talking about the other animated Titanic movie. The rest of the party was more interested in this dreck so there you go. It's bad. Like it makes my history brain hurt bad. I've seen both. This one is worse.

Films: 24

Rio 2: I would have preferred dipping my scrotum in rubbing alcohol, drying off and setting fire to my pubes.

Your post is so heavy on metaphor and subtlety that it defies all comprehension. Could you please be a bit clearer?

Frozen- Outside of the gay tradesman and some of Olaf's moments, I did not enjoy this. Even for an animated Disney film, its characters and story are too shallow and safe. The voice cast does little to help this, and though Robert Lopez is a great songwriter, he should stick to raunchy dark comedy.