Superman: Man of Steel

I certainly think Zimmer is a competent composer, but I don't find his music memorable myself. For me, the greatest composer working today is Clint Mansell.

Then apparently you haven't seen The Lion King, Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, or the Nolan Batman films.

Has Clint Mansell scored any films? I tend to keep track of who scores what films and I haven't seen his attached to any films I've seen.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mansell's scored plenty of films, including The Fountain, Requiem for a Dream, and most recently, Black Swan. And you know the song that was used for the LotR: Two Towers trailer? He wrote that, too.

Opposites Attract, off of the Black Swan soundtrack a significant part of which is used on the trailer for the same movie. I currently have this on repeat.

Zimmer does a great job, but his soundtracks are kind of starting to sound the same to me. Then again, I do have a lot of them.

Mansell and Zimmer are both awesome modern soundtrack icons.

I'm personally a fan of guys who form close bonds with particular directors just as Mansell has with Aronofsky. Ilan Eshkeri has scored three Matthew Vaughn films (Kick-ass, Stardust, Layer Cake) and John Murphy works closely with Danny Boyle, scoring 28 Days Later and Sunshine. These are all great soundtracks.

However my favourite team working today is still the work of Bad Seeds members Nick cave and Warren Ellis (no, not that one). They did The Proposition, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and The Road. (Road and Proposition both for Director John Hillcoat. TAOJJBTCRF in particular is a gorgeous haunting score that really helps define the film, which was already great.

I wouldn't know about the quality of Mansell's music because I've never seen any of Darren Aronofsky's films. The only film I've seen that he's scored was Smokin' Aces and I don't remember the music from it at all. But anyway, we're getting off-topic...

Which interpretation of Superman would you prefer to see in the film: Kal-El as Clark Kent first and Superman second or as Superman as his true persona and Clark Kent as a mask?

Definitely Clark Kent with Superman as the mask. That's always how I've known the character. Superman does not feel human when Clark is just a mask. He's a god, not a man then and he is an unrelatable character. I kinda want to kick Tarantino whenever I watch Kill Bill because of Bill's entire Superman monologue.

Which interpretation of Superman would you prefer to see in the film: Kal-El as Clark Kent first and Superman second or as Superman as his true persona and Clark Kent as a mask?

The Reeve's movies were all about Clark being the mask, and Superman being the identity (I include the shitty Returns in the Reeves movies list) I would like to see it the other way this time. A different interpretation.

Mostly, I didn't like the parts where he became too much of a god and not enough of a person. The worst part for me was when he gave Lois the tour of the Fortress. It was as though he'd collected monuments to his own godhood, which smacked of a complete lack of humility.

I've always been of the opinion that Superman should be defined by his humility in spite of his powers.