Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not an issue of popularity. Different as it may seem to casual comics fans, Gwen Stacy has been proven to work as a girlfriend for Peter Parker. She's an important part of his story. Changing the female romantic lead in Superman doesn't have any such precedent, and would be a radical alteration to the mythos itself.

It's not an issue of popularity. Different as it may seem to casual comics fans, Gwen Stacy has been proven to work as a girlfriend for Peter Parker. She's an important part of his story.

Not arguing with you there; I'm a big fan of Gwen. I'm just saying that Mary Jane is more analogous to Lois at this point than Gwen is.

Changing the female romantic lead in Superman doesn't have any such precedent, and would be a radical alteration to the mythos itself.

Unless it's taking a Smallville/Superman: Earth One early Superman approach.

Not arguing with you there; I'm a big fan of Gwen. I'm just saying that Mary Jane is more analogous to Lois at this point than Gwen is.

Ah. That's somewhat true, then. Though I'd say Lois is MJ and Gwen put together.

Unless it's taking a Smallville/Superman: Earth One early Superman approach.

Yeah, but Smallville is based on a pre-Superman Clark, and even Earth-One has Lois. I could maybe see them having Lana in there just for this movie, then having her transition out before the next one, but I'm not sure why they'd do that. It's possible; I just think it's unlikely.

Yeah, there aren't many female Superman villains, let alone ones that can be big enough for a movie. Off the top of my head:

The Contessa (Doesn't work without Lex or Cadmus.)

Silver Banshee (Low scale)

La Encantadora (I think I'm the only one who remembers this chick.)

Maxima (Doesn't work in the first movie.)

Parasite (Why use the female Parasite that's barely still in continuity anyway?)

Mercy (Once again, only if Lex is there.)

Blaze (People might be confused why Supes is fighting Girl Satan.)

Come to think of it, Rosamund Pike would be a kickass Mercy if she was able to do an American accent.

Yeah, there aren't many female Superman villains, let alone ones that can be big enough for a movie. Off the top of my head:

The Contessa (Doesn't work without Lex or Cadmus.)

Silver Banshee (Low scale)

La Encantadora (I think I'm the only one who remembers this chick.)

Maxima (Doesn't work in the first movie.)

Parasite (Why use the female Parasite that's barely still in continuity anyway?)

Mercy (Once again, only if Lex is there.)

Blaze (People might be confused why Supes is fighting Girl Satan.)

Come to think of it, Rosamund Pike would be a kickass Mercy if she was able to do an American accent.

Nothing to say that Mercy can't be the badass British Bodyguard.

Might be Ursa.

So all that talk about the Superman reboot's new female character? The latest report on the matter would seem to indicate that the gal is actually a villain in the film.

Alice Eve (She's Out of your League), Diane Kruger (Inglourious Basterds) and Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day) were all reported this week to be up for the role. And now Latino Review has the scoop that "The character these lovely actresses have come out for is none other than a Kryptonian villainess who is going by the name of URSA." Sound familiar?

Ursa, of course, was General Zod's right-hand woman in Superman II. Does this mean Zod, too, will show up to battle the Man of Steel?

The site also adds that despite the fevered fanboy speculation to the contrary, Lois Lane in fact is in the reboot as well.

Though she was, yesterday, rumored to be in competition for a part in Zack Snyder's Superman, Diane Kruger now says there's no truth to the story.

"No," the actress said today, immediately following the press conference for her latest film, Unknown , "it's not true."

Kruger was allegedly in competition against both Alice Eve and Rosamund Pike for an unknown female lead, said not to be the character of Lois Lane. While it's possible that even her denial is part of the secretive nature of the project, it does cast some doubt on the rumors currently linked to both the part and to the alleged short list.

An official cast is expected to be announced soon, though, as filming on Superman is expected to start this summer for a December, 2012 release.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73830#ixzz1D7CVaS2a

Zack Snyder talks about his favorite Superman artists

...For Snyder, he narrowed it down to a two-man split decision: Jim Lee and Curt Swan.

Swan’s work on Superman spanned five decades and there was a sort of noble, even gentle aura to his work and an absence of flash and grit – the bank robbers in Metropolis even wore coats and ties to work — that create a time-capsule vibe now. In the summer of 2006, the U.S. postal service released a new Superman stamp featuring the art of Swan (inked by Sheldon Moldoff ) and the elemental appeal of the image still sticks with Snyder.

“It’s funny, I have that stamp image — it’s him tearing open his jacket. Its got a retro vibe to it, it’s cool. That’s the background on my iPad. It’s Curt Swan and the way he draws that jawline, it is like Mt. Rushmore, totally, or like ‘The Incredibles.’ Swan is really good.”

“My taste level goes to the more, I guess, muscular Superman. The bigger, more muscular Superman, the way Jim draws him. Those tend to be the artists I like in comics. So Jim’s Superman, for sure. That’s not to say that’s how the movie will be, of course, but as far as the comics. It’s an interesting thing to think about though. There have just been so many incarnations and so many great ones. As a fan you don’t really to have to pick, you can enjoy them all.”

TMZ is reporting that Lindsay Lohan's representatives "have had multiple conversations" with Warner Bros. about starring in Zack Snyder's new Superman movie.

The site says that "Lindsay is up for a role in the flick -- and while it isn't Lois Lane, we hear it would be a 'major character.'" The actress is supposed to meet with the Superman team soon.

While this is just a rumor for now, it was recently announced that Henry Cavill will play Clark Kent/Superman in the Christopher Nolan-produced film, opening in theaters in December of 2012.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125817-lindsay-lohan-up-for-superman-role

eh? It's not April 1st so I don't get the joke.

Hmm. I don't remember Lana Lang being a crackwhore.

It's a new spin. Lana, with but a puff from her kryptonite crack pipe, becomes the villain Crack Whore, who's plan is to addict Superman to crack and when he can't pay, force him to rob banks. Superman beats her by showing her the box-office numbers for I Know Who Killed Me.

And who can forget the team up between Lana and Speedy?

That was a great issue. Of course you've got the usual good guy vs good guy misunderstanding at the start where they're both rolling around on the floor fighting over the pipe, but after Speedy OD'd she got the rest of the stash to herself. And of course the Brave and the Bold issue where they teamed up to steal all the copper piping from that construction site is one of the best things Geoff Johns has ever written.

We joke, but this is pretty much a Daredevil storyline. Superman gets the clean girls, Matt gets the junkies.

• 2 weeks later...