Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, if the Kevin Costner playing Pa Kent rumor are correct, I don't mind this. Yes, the Kents are usually Grey haired but we have a younger Clark so why not younger Kents. Besides, Clark's parents are usually only important in the respect that they raised him and are his parents. I doubt they'll be in the entire movie. That said, a little old age make-up does wonders. Really, the fact that they're casting the Kents but we've heard nothing about Jor-El makes me optimistic that they're going with the post-Crisis interpretation of Superman being the Mask and Clark being the real person.

If you use Smallville as a measure of anything Superman related than I can't take you seriously. Bo Duke is not Pa Kent.

If you throw out everything Smallville-related as being trash, then I can't take you seriously. The show's got a nigh-endless list of problems, but the Kents (up through season 4 or so) aren't one of them.

Ma and Pa Kent in Smallville are, by far, the best-developed and most compelling versions of those characters ever seen/written.

There are two consistently good things about Smallville that I've been able to see since I stopped watching back in middle school - Ma Kent, and Chloe. The rest has kind of gone to shit, and even those two character have taken a pretty big hit as the seasons have gone on.

Oh, and Lionel's hair. Can't forget that. :P

(Note: Lex is not counted here, as Rosenbaum left the show, which was a damn good move. I'm talking about characters that have been there all ten seasons.)

Yeah, hence why I added the qualifier of "up through Season 4." Almost every character's done stupid things or been put in bad positions by the producers at some point over the last several seasons, Chloe included.

The only one that's been totally safe is Jonathan Kent, just because (A) he died in Season 5, and (B) John Schneider was ADAMANT about never allowing the writers to make Jonathan anything other than who he should be. He's told stories about how he essentially filibustered the set and refused to film his scenes unless they were appropriate for the character.

Yeah, hence why I added the qualifier of "up through Season 4." Almost every character's done stupid things or been put in bad positions by the producers at some point over the last several seasons, Chloe included.

The only one that's been totally safe is Jonathan Kent, just because (A) he died in Season 5, and (B) John Schneider was ADAMANT about never allowing the writers to make Jonathan anything other than who he should be. He's told stories about how he essentially filibustered the set and refused to film his scenes unless they were appropriate for the character.

If I remember rightly, didn't they kill him off in one of the worst sequences in the shows history? Which is saying something.

(Note: Lex is not counted here, as Rosenbaum left the show, which was a damn good move. I'm talking about characters that have been there all ten seasons.)

You need to count Lex, as Smallville's Lex Luthor is probably the best incarnation of Lex in live action and the best aspect of the entire show.

Really, what strikes me most about Smallville is that the characters that kept me interested in it (Lex, Lionel, Jonathan, Chloe) don't include Clark.

Well if you want to be really technical, he was there for 7/10ths of it. :smilewinkgrin:

Actually if you want to get technical he was on screen for 6.71% of the running time of the overall show so far, not including camera reversals for conversations his character had with others.

:*

...No?

They sort of implied that he died because Clark messed with time travel (and then said the opposite in Season 10), but the scene itself was exceptionally well-done.

I call bullshit on that. If it involves something as stupid as Clark fucking with time travel, for a girl he will not actually end up with, then it is not a good thing, no matter how well John Schneider does it.

It's a decent cast of support actors they're putting together. Is that because they are worried about having a lesser known as Superman?

It worked for the 1978 film. Brando, Hackman, heck....Kidder was a bigger name than Reeve was before that came out.

It's a decent cast of support actors they're putting together. Is that because they are worried about having a lesser known as Superman?

It worked for the 1978 film. Brando, Hackman, heck....Kidder was a bigger name than Reeve was before that came out.

Hey, what the crap, Ian? Stop saying true things that we can agree upon. It's freakin' me out.

Hey, what the crap, Ian? Stop saying true things that we can agree upon. It's freakin' me out.

All you need to do is go back to being wrong!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
“Literally, the one thing that everyone can start to think about is that we’re making a movie that finally goes with the approach that there’s been no other Superman movies,” Snyder said. “If you look at ‘Batman Begins,’ there’s that structure, there’s the canon that we know about and respect but on other hand there’s this approach that pre-supposes that there haven’t been any other movies. In every aspect of design and of story, the whole thing is very much from that perspective of respect the canon but don’t be a slave to the movies.”

I mentioned to Snyder that in hindsight the Singer film might have been boxed in by the past and too tentative — the movie seemed at times like a cautious curator trying to move around among fragile museum pieces. “Yeah, and we’re not afraid of that at all,” Snyder said. “Our Superman, he’s got things to figure out but he’s a physical cat.”

Source