Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a related note, what exactly does LexCorp specialize in producing in the comics?

Cake-stealing devices?

Honestly, that's a good question. I know the company has owned the Daily Planet and other media outlets at one time or another, but I don't know what they actually produce.

On a related note, what exactly does LexCorp specialize in producing in the comics?

Cake-stealing devices?

Honestly, that's a good question. I know the company has owned the Daily Planet and other media outlets at one time or another, but I don't know what they actually produce.

Weapons manufacturing?

I think she could be about as young as 27 and have it still make sense. Any younger than that and it just seems silly.

Nah. I could never buy that. I'm in the business and the odds of a famous lead journalist at the main paper of a huge city being that young are just about astronomical.

And the odds a man could fly?

You could really use that argument for anything in comics ever. Should we never want a little dose of realism? Did YOU buy Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane?

EDIT: I know it's a fantastic story. I'm not trying to be an asshole or something. But as somebody's who's been in the newspaper business for six years now, I'd have a hard time accepting that character as that young.

Kate Bosworth looked like she was twelve. That's not exactly a fair comparison.

Add in the fact that Returns was set 5 years after the first two movies, Lois should have been at least in her mid-30s. I know why Bosworth was cast (rapid pre-production and a recommendation from Spacey, who'd just worked with her) but Singer really fucked up with that movie as has been established many times over.

Huzzah for a new beginning with a largely good cast!

Apparently Supes Returns was supposed to be aimed at the Devil Wears Prada crowd, so I think that's part of why it done fucked up.

Source

The most interesting element of the entire chat is Singer’s discussion about how he was attempting to lure women into seeing a comic book movie. “What I had noticed is that there weren’t a lot of women lining up to see a comic book movie, but they were going to line up to see ‘The Devil Wears Prada,’ which may have been something I wanted to address.” It seems odd to think of a superhero movie aping something like ‘The Devil Wears Prada,’ but in retrospect, ‘Superman Returns’ does have a very female-friendly vibe and this explains why romance plays such a big part in what many expected to be a full-on action flick.

@JF: ...And?

I always thought Lex Corp as the evil version of Wayne Enterprises, like Dread said, a holding company for other stuff.

That's basically what they are. Though both Wayne and LexCorp do a lot more hands-on stuff than a normal holding company; a lot of their divisions are built up by the company itself, not bought. Though the ratio of bought-to-created is definitely a bit higher on LexCorp's side.

I always thought Lex Corp as the evil version of Wayne Enterprises, like Dread said, a holding company for other stuff.

That's basically what they are. Though both Wayne and LexCorp do a lot more hands-on stuff than a normal holding company; a lot of their divisions are built up by the company itself, not bought. Though the ratio of bought-to-created is definitely a bit higher on LexCorp's side.

A quick look at the LexCorp wiki page tells me that they're your standard MegaCorp with the their fingers in just about everything. They started out as AeroSpace the moved onto become a multinational everything. Media, Oil, Weapons, Robotics, Pharmaceuticals, Banking, Security. So yeah, all levels of just being a huge Megacorp.

As long as they don't put a giant golden planet on top of the Tribune Tower or a big "L" on the Sears Tower...

Ridiculous statement!

That's what CGI is for.

My point is that it shouldn't blatantly be Chicago even to people who don't live there, just like Metropolis was blatantly New York City in the Christopher Reeve films.

I'm sure you're right, Master. It makes me curious about Snyder's visual approach. The color palette, for instance, should be composed of bright primaries. Superman is not a dark, brooding character and his environment should reflect this. It will be an interesting change up for Snyder who has dabbled almost exclusively in shadows, burnt oranges and gunmetal grays. Don't jump all over me, but I kind of associate the look of Superman with some of the flashier, bubblegum bright anime productions out there. The Gundam series springs to mind or Macross Plus or even Giant Robo, with it's colorful robots and characters set against bright blue skies, chrome plated weapons flashing in the sun, spinning above retro futuristic cities. Now, just port that aesthetic to an all-american Superman going toe to toe with giant lizard people.