Superman: Man of Steel

Wow. Aside from the shield, that's the classic suit design down to a tee, even moreso than Returns did it. The only thing I don't really like is the hair, but I can live with it.

Also, that photo's been severely desaturated; I upped the saturation on it to what seems like normal levels:

ManofSteel_UpSaturation.jpg

Nice.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here he is as Clark, minus the glasses:

282483_266146406736124_100000223008322_1259540_7727370_n.jpg

On one level, I like it. Yet, on another, I have my reservations.

The positives

Something about the way his Clark looks reminds me of the Silver Age Superman, but I can't put my finger on it.

Clark, being a farmboy, should be bulky.

The negative

However, he needs to hide his frame under ill-fitting clothes, otherwise the disguise doesn't work. That said, I can get over his clothes being properly fitted if Cavill, like Christopher Reeve, plays the parts distinctly different. Reeve made the silliest disguise in the world (RE: glasses) believable because his body language as Clark was the complete opposite of the way he played Superman. And that's what I want here.

Here he is as Clark, minus the glasses:

282483_266146406736124_100000223008322_1259540_7727370_n.jpg

On one level, I like it. Yet, on another, I have my reservations.

The positives

Something about the way his Clark looks reminds me of the Silver Age Superman, but I can't put my finger on it.

Clark, being a farmboy, should be bulky.

The negative

However, he needs to hide his frame under ill-fitting clothes, otherwise the disguise doesn't work. That said, I can get over his clothes being properly fitted if Cavill, like Christopher Reeve, plays the parts distinctly different. Reeve made the silliest disguise in the world (RE: glasses) believable because his body language as Clark was the complete opposite of the way he played Superman. And that's what I want here.

I don't want Clark Kent to be a total doofus again.

Clark doesn't have to be a dork, but to make the glasses work, he has to be played differently than Superman. There has to be something about Clark that puts off the suspicion that, despite looking exactly like Superman, he isn't the hero.

It's what made Reeves performances so good, he nailed both Clark and Supes. His Clark was nervous, shy, but still had that reliable best friend nature about it. And his Supes just made all your worries wash away with his confidence and focus to get things done.

Oh and here is the new Superman...

0804supes-big.jpg

With the split down the middle, this looks like it was scanned from a magazine, but I'm not convinced it's real. The lighting on Amy Adams' face doesn't really match the way the rest of her body is lit. Same with Cavill, now that I look at it. Plus, everything in the pictures looks like it's out of the 1950s or 60s.

superman_man_of_steel_lois_clark.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A casting call included a synopsis of the movie:

In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Cavill) is a young twentysomething journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone's imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question - Why am I here? Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. But when the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as "Superman," not only to shine as the world's last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves.

Nothing too big about the plot except that

it sounds like a total reboot and is about him actually becoming Superman.