Superman: Man of Steel

The problem he has with Superman that he didn't have with Batman is you can't change his origin story because it's so iconic. With Batman, all everyone knows is his parents were murdered when he was a kid, he's a millionaire, and became Batman to fight crime. That's how he was able to fill in the gaps with Bruce going around picking fights in prison and being recruited by Ra's al Ghul.

With Superman, everyone knows the story because it's a part of our culture. Everyone knows who Jor El is, what Krypton is, who the Kents are, where his powers come from, even the town he grew up in. If he changes any of that, people will get pissed. If he doesn't change it, it'll feel like just another retelling of the same origin story. I'd like to see him skip it and get to the story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman's origin wasn't really any different in any major way in Begins, either. His parents were killed by a gunman in Crime Alley, and he went on a journey around the world to learn martial arts and criminology. The thing with Ra's didn't "change" his origin in any major way.

So much of Batman's origin wasn't known, which is why it was easy to fill in the gaps. The important part is his parents deaths. Anything else really isn't important, and changes depending on which version you are reading/watching. Superman's is basically the same through every version, and his history is known right up to him becoming Superman.

Not really. I mean, all that needs to stay the same is (A) Jor-El sending him away in a rocket before the planet explodes, (B) the Kents find his ship in Smallville, and © he goes to Metropolis when he's older.

That's no more restrictive than Batman's origin.

So, you don't think people will come out of the film thinking "How does Smallville fit into all of that?"

Like Bruce Wayne and how he became Batman, there's no unbreakable canon regarding the period between which Clark found out his powers while in Smallville and became Superman. You can add a few tweaks and plot elements that weren't there before, provided you don't do too many, pad out the completion of the transformation, and end up going to the Smallville route.

Some people are dumb-asses and think that with anything. I had a friend who spent ten minutes trying to figure out where Batman Begins fit in with Batman 89.

Exactly. For instance, a family friend spent the entirety of The Phantom Menace asking when Han and Leia were going to show up.

I had a friend tell me after watching The Phantom Menace that she thought the little blonde boy was Luke, not Anakin.

Yeah, DC Comics origins are thankfully rather general and vague. And fortunately, they've all been re-told so many times that the truly essential elements are the ones that always show up, so they're easily spotted. As long as Superman is sent from Krypton by Jor-El, lands in Smallville, then goes to Metropolis as an adult, the story will be well within the "necessary" canon. And hell, they don't even need to show Krypton; they could just reveal that later in the movie via holographic message (like in Secret Origin, STAS, or The Man of Steel). Personally, though, I'm still hoping for a Star Trek-style opening disaster/action scene where we get to know Jor-El and Lara for a scant few minutes before Krypton goes boom.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Kevin Costner will play Jonathan Kent, the father who raised Clark Kent as his own son, in the new Superman movie to be directed by Zack Snyder.

Snyder stated, “Jonathan Kent is the only father figure Clark has ever had, the man who was there to help Clark understand what he was meant to do in the world as Superman. Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest super hero of all time.”

Costner will star alongside Diane Lane, who plays his wife, Martha, and the film’s star, Henry Cavill, who will play the new Clark Kent/Superman.

Costner most recently starred in 2010’s “The Company Men,” and is currently in development on the comedy “The One.” He has won two Academy Awards®, for producing and directing the epic “Dances with Wolves,” also garnering a nomination for Best Actor. He has also starred in a wide range of memorable films, including “The Untouchables,” “No Way Out,” “Bull Durham,” “Field of Dreams,” “JFK,” “The Bodyguard,” “Wyatt Earp,” “Tin Cup” and “Swing Vote,” to name a few.

Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are the producers of the film. The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.

The new Superman movie will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

• 2 weeks later...
The LA Times' Hero Complex just announced that Amy Adams (The Fighter, Enchanted) will take on the iconic role of Lois Lane, the superhero's longtime love interest and partner in delivering truth and justice to the people of Metropolis through their mutual place of employment, The Daily Planet. Though her exact prominence in the film, which is likely a reboot of the Man of Steel's entire cinematic legacy, is currently unknown, director Snyder called the part “a linchpin” to the project and believes that Lane should possess the contemporary appeal and spirit of the modern American woman.

“It goes back to what I’ve said about Superman and making him really understandable for today. What’s important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today’s audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him [in tone and substance],” said the filmmaker, who should begin shooting the picture sooner than later as we move faster than a speeding bullet toward its December 2012 release date.

Source

The casting on this film is, so far, just made of awesome. If they keep this up, it might be a match for Superman: The Motion Picture. As for concenrs about Amy Adams's dramatic talents, I'd say being Lois calls for a combination of drama, bitchiness, and humor. In her career, she's shown the ability for all three. Thus, I am optimistic.

Amy Adams is one of my favorite actresses. It's a good choice, although she's older than I would have gone.

Works for me. I've always thought of Lois being a little older than Clark.

I've always thought she'd need to be at least in her 30s to justify her status as well-renowned, experienced journalist. That's a major reason why Bosworth's Lois was doomed from the start.

I think she could be about as young as 27 and have it still make sense. Any younger than that and it just seems silly.

Nah. I could never buy that. I'm in the business and the odds of a famous lead journalist at the main paper of a huge city being that young are just about astronomical.

I think she could be about as young as 27 and have it still make sense. Any younger than that and it just seems silly.

Nah. I could never buy that. I'm in the business and the odds of a famous lead journalist at the main paper of a huge city being that young are just about astronomical.

And the odds a man could fly?