Smallville

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. There's a lot more to change than the color: the fit of the costume, the gloves and belt, the way the cape hangs and is attached. They're wildly different. (Also, the characters aren't the same. Doctor Fate isn't just a well-trained fighter; he's a sorcerer.)

I think Hawkman looks pretty awesome.

Dr. Fate's helmet looks a bit cheapy. Could be the angle, but still. I think if the movement of the cape is majestic enough, though, the whole costume might look much better.

Stargirl's costume could look a lot better if they only used better materials than that regular-looking cloth. What about the leathery material that EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN THE SHOW WEARS?

Poor Chloe, being expendable means they can kill you so many times. I just got done watching the November 20th episode and she was once again killed. That's like 5 times already, what the hell? I love Chloe, she is beautiful, smart, cool and a much better match for Clark, than Lois or Lana, but the writers keep her alive just to kill her.

I liked that episode, it actually helped bring the show back on its feet again, now let's hope it can stay that way, The CW already ordered a Season 10.

So I just rapid-fire watched Season 3 of Smallville for the first time.

Ergh. That was not good.

It's not that the show was all that badly made. In fact, it was pretty good. Overall, the quality was great. (horrible Lana/Clark scenes aside)

The problem is that it just took the show to a place that it didn't need to be. Clark Kent should not be a character that makes bad moral judgments, then deals with the emotional penance thereof.

Seriously. In Season 3, he...

-Purposely put on a Red Kryptonite ring, under the influence of which, he...

-Stole hundreds of thousands of dollars (at least)

-Worked with Morgan Edge

-Was mean to Chloe :(

-Planned to help Pete cheat in a car race

-Stole Lex's car, albeit temporarily

What makes Superman stories remarkable is seeing how Clark relies upon his principles to solve problems. "Conflicted" is something that Clark Kent rarely, if ever, should be.

Maybe in the idyllic world of comic books, but I think it would be pretty unrealistic for a 21st century teenager to not be conflicted, no matter how good an upbringing he had. And anyway, 9/10 times Clark does stick to his principles, to the point where it can be annoying at times. I'm fine with the occasional 1/10 times he doesn't as they show he really is human and not some perfect alien demigod.

...9/10 times Clark does stick to his principles, to the point where it can be annoying at times. I'm fine with the occasional 1/10 times he doesn't as they show he really is human and not some perfect alien demigod.

In Season 3 it seemed more like he was conflicted every 8/10 times. And he was indecisive. And he technically is an alien demigod. :D

But whatever. I'm probably overreacting because of the general frustratingness of Season 3's plotlines.

Oh well. The first two eps of Season 4 are enjoyable. (Hooray!)

I feel the car episode in Season 3 about Kryptonite engines is the worst episode ever.

But yeah, I want daily season four updates from you Knightwing. To see you go insane, like the rest of us who watched THAT series.

I fucking hate Kristin Kreuk and for the one millionth time, their is no chemistry between her and Welling! Yet they repeatedly ram it down peoples throats that their is.

Rant over.

I want daily season four updates from you Knightwing.

Hmm. Alright then. Hmm; maybe I'll need my own "Running Smallville Diary" thread.

4x01: "Crusade"

Kind of a cross between cool/fun and random.

To my surprise, Lana was somehow not annoying. She should just stay in Paris and never come back. Her boyfriend, this "Jason" character, is actually likable. And apparently he's rubbed off on her. (get it? get it? ;) *sigh...*)

It's great to see Clark fly, but it was under the excuse of "it's 'Kal-El,' the alternate, slightly evil Kryptonian version of Clark." Which is just weird, since we already had the Red K-controlled alternate Clark, who also went by the name "Kal." So Clark has three personalities now? My god; no wonder he's an emo freak.

Lois's characterization seems a little off. Lois should be a bit more sharp-witted and brilliant, not a quippy party girl. Then again, it sort of makes sense for a "young" Lois, so maybe it's not big deal.

The episode ends with, yet again, Clark returning from a personality-altering decision last season, only to have things revert back to normal by the end of this episode. Ah, Smallville. Your formulaic writing never ceases to deliver [the same thing, over and over again].

Here's the thing, though: I actually liked this episode. It's nothing incredible, but it was decently enjoyable. Season 4 is looking up.

4x02: "Gone"

In this episode, Clark and Lois run from Michael Ironside while fighting the T-1000. Seriously.

Seeing Clark and Lois partnering up for an investigation is pretty cool, and their chemistry is really great. The shower scene was a bit much, though. It was hilarious, but also seemed very forced and cheesy. Speaking of forced and cheesy, how about Chloe's miraculous escape? She managed to get down into an underground bunker, then get captured again, right before Clark finds her hiding place? Hmm... specifically inconvenient timing.

The T-1000 has captured Chloe, and taken her to a foundry. Silly T-1000; he should know that factories and power plants are the bane of terminators. Lois and Clark have obviously seen T2, as they know to fight off the T-1000 by blowing him up into little pieces, then dropping the remains into a smelting vat. And somehow Lois gets a GIGANTIC TASER GUN. Not sure where that came from.

Michael Ironside, while perhaps perfect as Sam Lane, is a bit stereotypical and silly. Does that man do anything but constantly play the same role over and over again?

Lana comes back to Smallville. I knew it was happening, but NOOOO!!!!!!! >_< But Jason comes to Smallville, too. Cool. Maybe he can keep Lana's passive-aggressiveness in line. (I doubt it)

I love how Clark talks about how he can't stand Lois because she's "bossy, rude, and stuck up." That's just perfect.

Still, though, Lois humor and the T-1000 can't save this episode from only being "okay."

4x03: "Façade"

That's right; I used the fancy "ç" thingie. No regular "c"s for me! (pardon my humor; I'm a bit ill, and apparently slightly high from eating way too many cough drops)

So in this episode, creepy ugly girl turns into creepy hot girl. And her mom is a kryptonite cosmetic surgeon. Yeah. There's not much more to say here. This one wasn't so great. Nod bad, exactly, just unremarkable.

4x04: "Devoted"

Proof that cheerleaders are manipulative, evil psychos.

I've never been genuinely creeped out by Chloe before. My faith in Allison Mack's unequivocal attractiveness is being tested.

Oh, and Jason is working as a coach at Smallville High?!? Jeez... this is why relationships between high-schoolers and college students are always weird. And Jason makes it worse by using his office as a makeout room. Now, hey, I'm all for finding new ways to cover Lana's mouth, but really? Do they have to be that stupid? Eh, frak it. Her mouth being shut is worth it.

Average episode.

Season 4 watching update:

So I watched "Run," "Transference," "Jinx," and "Spell."

The butchering of the Flash mythology is rather disheartening.

I could barely stand to watch Lionel-as-Clark emotionally devastate Chloe like that. Actually, I couldn't stand it at all. I just stopped watching the episode and read the summary off the Smallville wiki. If this kind of "find new ways to make Clark look evil" crap keeps going, I'm gonna kill something.

Mxyzptlk made for a neat episode, but I don't get why they felt the need to make it Mxyzptlk, since it's basically a different character. Also, the mispronounced his name.

I find it hilarious how incredibly well Lana works as a witch. She's just brimming with EEEEEVILLLLLL. Kristin Kreuk seems like she was born to play the role.

I could barely stand to watch Lionel-as-Clark emotionally devastate Chloe like that. Actually, I couldn't stand it at all. I just stopped watching the episode and read the summary off the Smallville wiki. If this kind of "find new ways to make Clark look evil" crap keeps going, I'm gonna kill something.

Um...I'm pretty sure it was a "show how much of a cruel bastard Lionel is" moment. And Transference is easily one of the best episodes of the season.

Um...I'm pretty sure it was a "show how much of a cruel bastard Lionel is" moment.

Oh, definitely. I just hate the inevitable "Chloe (and/or Lana) thinks that Clark was a jerk" moments.

Ah, gotcha. Even so, I really suggest finishing the episode. Tom Welling and John Glover act the hell out of their character swaps.

Oh, and the witch shit comes back.