Smallville

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's about Martha and Perry returning, but I'm actually excited about that... I find that rather unsettling. I am a completest, and have all the seasons on dvd. Seasons 1-3 are awesome, season 4 is...unusual, season 5 is sub par season 6 is crap, season 7 suffers because that was the year of the writers strike, the first half of season 8 is ok, but the ending is lackluster, and this current season is hit or miss for me.

Something just occurred to me.

We (as comics fans) complain all the time about how Clark in Smallville makes stupid choices (and sometimes immoral ones), contradicting the Superman character. But I think that, to an extent, the writers and producers behind Smallville are just taking their inspiration from the Christopher Reeve-era films.

In Superman II, Superman gives up his powers in order to be with Lois, inadvertently leaving the entire world open for conquest by Zod. He later wipes Lois's memory after having sex with her, which is probably immoral on several levels. (is that like mind-rape?) Heck, Superman Returns implied that Superman actually got Lois pregnant during Superman II, then left her and the planet defenseless (AGAIN) for a whole five years.

Considering that the general public's idea of Superman comes from the films (and TV shows, to a far lesser extent), it's not surprising that Smallville's version of Clark is as screwed-up as he is.

Something just occurred to me.

We (as comics fans) complain all the time about how Clark in Smallville makes stupid choices (and sometimes immoral ones), contradicting the Superman character. But I think that, to an extent, the writers and producers behind Smallville are just taking their inspiration from the Christopher Reeve-era films.

In Superman II, Superman gives up his powers in order to be with Lois, inadvertently leaving the entire world open for conquest by Zod. He later wipes Lois's memory after having sex with her, which is probably immoral on several levels. (is that like mind-rape?) Heck, Superman Returns implied that Superman actually got Lois pregnant during Superman II, then left her and the planet defenseless (AGAIN) for a whole five years.

Considering that the general public's idea of Superman comes from the films (and TV shows, to a far lesser extent), it's not surprising that Smallville's version of Clark is as screwed-up as he is.

To add some more Superman media in which Supes is that way, maybe a certain Static Shock episode?

Just saw it.

The Bad:

-The visual effects for Hawkman's flight

-Hawkman's voice. It sounded fine at first, but after he actually put on the mask, every line he had sounded weird.

-The costumes (and certain props) looked cheap all around.

-The overall story. It could have been reduced to a half-hour with little actual story loss.

-Doctor Fate's height. He's not supposed to be that short, is he?

-The lame villain.

-The VERY LAME FINAL BATTLE. I know that there's a limited budget, but really?

-The overdone cameos for Wildcat, Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, and Sandman. We didn't need to see their flashbacks and museum props about fifty times over.

The Good:

-Clark is referred to as "the sentient power." Awesome.

-Apparently, when written well, Erica Durance is actually good as Lois Lane.

-The near-total adherence to the look of the JSA from the comics. Every single prop, from Jay Garrick's helmet to Alan Scott's Lantern and Power Ring, were exactly as they should be.

-Stargirl's character was pretty well-portrayed.

-Doctor Fate's voice was pretty cool.

-The brief shot of J'onn with green skin.

-We find out that Jay Garrick and Alan Scott are still alive and out there somewhere. Sweet.

Overall, I thought that it was rather odd. Rather than moving from Point A to Point B, the characters hang around Point A and talk about point B repeatedly before ever actually doing anything.

JSA: "Hey, you guys need to be a better team."

JLA: "Hmmm..."

JLA: "Hmmm..."

JLA: "Hmmm... Yeah, you're right."

JSA: "So... are you gonna get an actual team name now?"

JLA: "Woah! Let's not get TOO crazy!"

And then the final battle... jeez... first off, Doctor Fate/Icicle lifts Chloe off the ground by the neck with his magic ice powers, and Clark just calmly stands there for a moment before looking up and signaling Hawkman and Green Arrow to attack. And then what does Clark do? Use heat vision. Now, I would have just punched the guy out the giant window (which was already conveniently broken), but apparently that's not as cool as using heat vision.

All in all, the entire two hours was just people sitting around and talking about how great the JSA were. And that's it.

So, Johns finally gets Smallville then?

Eh? Not sure what you're getting at.

The writing was actually pretty decent. It did seem slightly cheesier than Johns' normal comics writing, though. I wonder if it was a deliberate move on his part (in order to portray the Golden Age of comics) or if it was something that the Smallville production team altered.

Oh, I totally forgot. Doctor Fate (or it might have been Hawkman; I can't remember) specifically mentions that Clark will usher in a "Silver Age." Kinda funny.

Shanks voice was quite comical in bits, there were some points he was good, other times... well...

I know very little about the JSA's history and it did seem that the people who know the JSA's backstory will get more enjoyment out of this.

I did have to have a little squee when I saw MM with the green shirt and red X.

Could've used a stronger villain IMO. And there didn't seem to be enough focus on Clark being "Superman-ish".

2.5/5

Well, that was average. It was a good episode of Smallville, but nothing special. I liked the nod to J'ohnns love of cookies though.

Was Pam Grier fat for real, or was it a suit, cause I didn't care for Amanda Waller look that much here. Also, I fucking called it, months ago:

Waller has got a Suicide Sqaud, and you can't have a squad without DeadShot.

Also, the guy who played Alan Scott, wasn't Alan Scott to me, he just didn't feel like Alan.

Well, that was average. It was a good episode of Smallville, but nothing special. I liked the nod to J'ohnns love of cookies though.

Yeah, that was handled MUCH better than in J'onn's first appearance, where he randomly dropped oreos wherever he went. I actually liked the line a lot; one of the brightest spots of the episode.

Also, the guy who played Alan Scott, wasn't Alan Scott to me, he just didn't feel like Alan.

The guy who had no lines?