The Doctor Who thread

I have a question.

In Genesis of the Daleks, and later on Journey's End, the Doctor is pretty strict on not slaughtering the Daleks as a race. Yet in other shows like Bad Wolf/Parting of Ways and in the new season 7 trailer, he seems pretty actively for it.

Do we just chalk this up to different Doctor's having different views on genocide? I know Colin Baker's Doctor was always up for random murder, and the 7th Doctor massacred all of Scaro. Is there any consistent motive to take away from how the Doctor views killing the Daleks?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DO NOT READ ANYTHING INTO THIS.

Christopher Eccleston was recently at a Q&A on the stage of Antigone at the National Theatre. Almost inevitably, the conversation turned to his time as the Doctor.

He spoke with real warmth and enthusiasm about the character of the Doctor, and what a real joy of a character it is to play. In response to a question about whether he felt he'd taken the character as far as he could, he (very tellingly) said he felt that one series isn't enough to get under the skin of the character, and that if he'd had two or three series he'd have developed the role considerably. He said that if you looked at the other Doctors (with the exception of Tom Baker) you can see them working out how to play the character through their first series becasue it's such a complex and challenging role.

He said several times that there was more for him to do with the character.

This does not mean he is coming back. In fact, I've heard elsewhere that filming Thor will probably conflict with the 50th anniversary. If this is an indication that the ice is melting, however, that can only be a good thing.

(Especially since Matt Smith is telling anyone who will listen the he would want Eccleston to come back.)

Oh man, I'd LOVE to see Eccleston come back. I mean, if they gave Paul McGann another shot I'd be over the moon, but of the recent Doctors I'd much rather seen Ecclestone over Tennant. Tennant is a big shadow in that series, but they're right, there's so much more to do with Eccleston. I'd want more than just one story too, I think they could do something very interesting with a half-season arc next year. Originally I figured it'd be cool if they just had them team up, but it'd be even better if they come to the conclusion that they're actually too similar and wind up at odds in some significant way. Maybe have 9 thinking 11 has gone soft and attempting something horrific in the name of doing right and have this be the moment that pulls 9 back from the brink post- time war.

I read something into it didn't I?

Me and Stavros covered this in WFTT a few months ago but I really think they should hire Ian Edington as a writer on Doctor Who. Look at this pitch for "Brass Sun" and tell me it doesn't sound like something out of Doctor Who:

Can you touch on "Brass Sun" a little bit? It seems to be a bit of a departure from the usual fare in "2000 AD."

Smith: I'll quote the first paragraph of Ian's pitch, which should set the scene: "The Orrery is a fully functional, life-size, clockwork solar system. A clutch of planets, moons, asteroids and comets orbiting a vast, life-giving brass sun via immense metal spars. Its origin and purpose long since forgotten. The once-unified collection of worlds have regressed into eccentric fiefdoms and petty baronies. Some are no longer aware that life even exists on any of the other worlds. The only certainty is that the sun is winding down…The Orrery is dying."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40341

So, anyone have a clue when the new series will air?

There's been no official announcement, but all signs point to August 25th.

This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but as of today BBC America's schedule for August 25th has a new Doctor Who special (similar to the ones they've been airing every Saturday for the past several weeks) but not "Asylum of the Daleks".

So either:

A) It's not going to be the 25th.

B) It's the 25th in the UK but not in America. (Unlikely.)

C) The schedule is not finalized.

Doctor Who is filming parts of the Christmas Special in Bristol next week. Stavros, you should totally take pictures for us.

That's actually about a mile from my house so I might go be a bothersome fan. Some of it is actually going to be outside one of my favourite bars.

Walkabout shouldn't be anyone's favourite bar. Could be worth a look!

Broken by Bleeding Cool, but reported elsewhere: Every episode of Series 7 will have a new title sequence and logo.

Doctor Who Title Sequence to Change In Every Series 7 Episode

Doctorwho_series5_2010-titles.jpgWe heard last night that Doctor Who will be getting a new title sequence for Series 7, but it was revealed that it will change in every episode throughout the Series.

Bleedingcool.com describe it as: "Based on the same font, it’s black with silver studs, looking all Dalek-y. Something special for the season opener?

Not a bit of it. Bleeding Cool have been told from BBC sources that the title will change with every episode to reflect the content. So Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, for example, will see the logo covered in scales…"

Radio Times say: "Look out, too, for a tweak to the title sequence – it’s the same “colonoscopy-in-space” effect but with a bluey-green tinge and a redesigned logo. The Moff tells me that there’ll be a special logo and title fonts to match all five episodes."

A few minor changes include a different credit font which fades in differently and a movement of the DW Tardis logo.

According to the official DW Facebook page, the first five episodes are titled and written by as follows:

1 – Asylum of the Daleks (by Steve Moffat)

2 – Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (by Chris Chibnall)

3 – A Town Called Mercy (by Toby Whithouse)

4 – The Power of Three (by Chris Chibnall)

5 – The Angels Take Manhattan (by Steven Moffat)