What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Man Who Laughs (1928) - Classic American silent film. Conrad Veidt is brilliant as Gwynplaine and the cinematography highlights how sophisticated cinema had become by the end of the silent era.

Stagecoach (1939) - There were western films before it, but Stagecoach is THE original western film. It has all of the elements that define the genre and prophetically features John Wayne in his first major role. Wayne's entrance in the film itself is a classic moment of cinema.

Scars of Dracula (1970) - Probably my favorite sequel to Horror of Dracula. Christopher Lee is at his badass Dracula best. In one scene, his servant Klove (played by hobo Patrick Troughton) lets a pair of prisoners go, so Dracula punishes him by searing his back with a white-hot sword. Hammer Dracula: don't fuck with him.

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) - I'm not going to say this is a good film, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun with it. I mean c'mon: Dracula is resurrected by a group of London hippies performing a black magic ritual, his servant is named Johnny Alucard, Dracula is played by Christopher Lee, and Van Helsing is played by Peter Cushing. How can you hate it?

Alien (1979) - I had seen it before, but upon watching it in film class, I appreciated it so much more. There are still moments that catch me off guard. The use of sound and the way the film builds suspense is masterful.

Blade Runner (1982) - Fantastic sci-film. Great performances, great music, and an amazingly designed city. Based on what I've read about the theatrical cut, I'm glad I saw the director's cut first.

As for the "Is Deckard a replicant?" debate, I come down on the affirmative side.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - Great foreign thriller that doesn't need a remake, but is getting one because people are too lazy to read subtitles. David Fincher is the perfect choice to direct it, but I don't know what they're thinking by casting Rooney Mara as Lisbeth. Based on her soulless performance in the NOES remake, there isn't a chance in hell she'll be able to hold a candle to Noomi Rapace.

Blade Runner (1982) - Fantastic sci-film. Great performances, great music, and an amazingly designed city. Based on what I've read about the theatrical cut, I'm glad I saw the director's cut first.

As for the "Is Deckard a replicant?" debate, I come down on the affirmative side.

Ridley Scott says that Deckard is, in fact, a replicant in the Director's Cut, but he is not in the theatrical cut.

101 Dalmatians: Ok film. Didn't really enjoy it when watching it. Mostly because I was told I'd be getting the animated film and not the live action version. Glenn Close chews the scenery with all her might, wheras her main co-stars Jeff Daniels and the other woman look like they would be happier counting the money they'd be making from the film.

Hugh Laurie plays one of the bumbling sidekicks to Cruella, also, fun fact, screenplay was written by John "Home Alone" Hughes.

Faust (1926) - An epic silent film, probably second in its scale only to Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Halloween (2007) - Terrible movie. The backstory for Michael Myers and gratuitous violence miss the point of what made the original a classic. After the backstory portion, the film moves into an essentially shot for shot remake with more blood and breasts. Most of the performances, especially Scout Taylor-Compton's, were good, but they don't save the film. While I think it's bad, I don't hate it and get angry about it. On the other hand...

Halloween II (2009) - razorfist.gif

Time for another complete film series look at The Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and of course Fast and Furious.

The Fast and the Furious- Only about 15 minutes in and I'm already going to love these films. Macho BS, real stunts and best of all, near-anime style speed sequences.

Meh, in the end the action couldn't overcome the fact that this was Point Break with a far shitter script. Vin is certainly no Swayze, and (I can hardly believe I'm saying this) Reeves is a regular fountain of charisma next to Paul Walker. Plus the racing was tedious by the end. God know's how I'm going to feel about that once I've finished this marathon. This was popular enough to spawn 4 sequels?

Halloween (2007) - Terrible movie. The backstory for Michael Myers and gratuitous violence miss the point of what made the original a classic. After the backstory portion, the film moves into an essentially shot for shot remake with more blood and breasts. Most of the performances, especially Scout Taylor-Compton's, were good, but they don't save the film. While I think it's bad, I don't hate it and get angry about it. On the other hand...

See, I liked it when the did the origin of Myers, as it was new and really entertaining, if trying to justify murder a little. After that, the film is just utter fucking shit.

2 Fast 2 Furious- Otherwise known as "Paul Walker pretends he's black and does stunts from Smokey & The Bandit". Jesus Christ this was bland and yet truly annoying, especially his new sidekick, Roman. Please let the next one be better. Oh yeah, and I echo the crew's complaints about Devon Aoki on Tranquil Tirades this week, she's fucking terrible, and for some reason in this film she applied a ton of grease to her face before each scene that made her skin look like shiny plastic. It was NOT attractive.

Fast & The Furious: Tokyo drift- Was loving this one at first. Especially the lead character, he's got about 15x the charisma of Paul Walker with on tenth of the effort. Then after the initial race they tried to tell us he was playing under 18. What? Seriously? The dude looks 30 easy, I figured his character had gotten into a random argument with some high school kids, not that he was supposed to BE one.

1.jpg This guy does not look 17.

Oh, and apparently his punishment for street racing and property damage was banishment from the USA. That's right, BANISHMENT.

Ok, so this was starting to look like a pretty fun delve into Japanese style culture (even if it was an extremely OTT almost Grant Morrisonesque take on it) but then they starting to talking about drifting (aka the driving style) and would NOT STOP. They're talking about it like its some sort of ancient martial art synonymous with the culture. It's massively tedious. Plus the plot is basically a reworking of The Karate Kid.

Fun to see a Vincent De Salle cameo at the end though.

Fast & Furious- Thank fuck they're going back to basics, this is like the middle two films never existed. Paul Walker's ditched his faux ebonics and is back on the force, so whilst he's still bland at least he's not attempting to counter that by deliberately pissing me off.

Utterly bland action film but the final chase is delightfully reminiscent of Mad Max. This is probably the best of the Quick & Pissy series.

Brother Pandy (now that he's an ordained monk) has gifted me Seasons 5 & 6 of House, as I only made it up to the end of Season 4. So with that, I'm re-watching my 1-4 boxset so that I'm fully caught up on backstory intricacies and whatnot (especially as I was drunk when watching a lot of Seasons 3 & 4 - I blame the Tritter story arc).

With that in mind, I'm fully caught up on Season 1. Whilst there's the usual teething/finding feet issues, there's some very strong episodes in that debut season and I still like the Vogler story arc, even if he was written in a slightly cliched manner. I'm looking forwards to Season 2 as that's my favourite of the first four.

Adventureland- having "From the director of Superbad" plastered across the front is completely misleading, but I don't regret picking this up at all. Awesome little emotional teen dramady, really worth a look. Jesse Eisenberg is fast becoming one of my favourite screen presences, he's weird looking and plays awkward well, but he's also got this nice charisma on screen, you're always interested in him. Good film.

Also, Pandy is a monk?!

Scream 2 - Yeah, that was much better. Utterly dated and I really didn't need to see Jerry O'Connell sing and dance. Sorta works in spite of itself.

Really bummed when

they killed off Randy.

I was bummed when they killed off Randy also. I was Randy in High School. However, they needed to kill off someone that was important to Sydney. Her father wasn't in the film, Dewey was in an arc with Gail, and Gail was still in the frenimies stage with Syd. Everyone else was still a suspect so Randy was, unluckily, the only possibility.

Dexter season 5 just isn't landing for me right now. Its really beginning to feel like season 3 of all over again, with no real arc throughout for me to follow along with. Also everyone in homicide getting a storyline really has made me grow to hate most of them. Maybe after the fucking awesome season 4 arc with Trinity and just how every episode was just a home fucking run for the show has raised my hopes so high, they cannot really compete with themselves.

Saying that RoboCop just showed up, so I hope the next episode is a return to form for the show.

I was bummed when they killed off Randy also. I was Randy in High School. However, they needed to kill off someone that was important to Sydney. Her father wasn't in the film, Dewey was in an arc with Gail, and Gail was still in the frenimies stage with Syd. Everyone else was still a suspect so Randy was, unluckily, the only possibility.

They should have offed Mickey and not made him one of the killers. He was a nothing character and it made no sense for him to be a part of the thing at the end.

I was also Randy in high school, to an absurd degree.

They should have offed Mickey and not made him one of the killers. He was a nothing character and it made no sense for him to be a part of the thing at the end.

You guys were rapping about Bob Saget in high school?

You guys were rapping about Bob Saget in high school?

... yes.