What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mikes right, Rocky Horror is an experience, not a movie. It's like Flash Gordon, no-one is going to call it five star cinema but it's got great camp value and it's great fun to watch with others.

Don't worry Suave, we'll chalk this up to misunderstanding what this was supposed to be rather than you just Suaving again.

What's upcoming on your list? Give us a preview.

Mikes right, Rocky Horror is an experience, not a movie. It's like Flash Gordon, no-one is going to call it five star cinema but it's got great camp value and it's great fun to watch with others.

Don't worry Suave, we'll chalk this up to misunderstanding what this was supposed to be rather than you just Suaving again.

What's upcoming on your list? Give us a preview.

Well, heres what I have high right now: The girl with the dragon tattoo. Free Money, four lions and 3:10 to Yuma.

What everyone else said: See a live audience participation showing (you're in Scotland, there's probably lots of that around this time of the year) before you give your final rating. Also, please remember that it's one of those so bad it's good movies.

Also, finally watched Rosemary's Baby. The build to the reveal at the end was well-done (but if you know the twist, it kind of takes a lot out of the movie), and the hallucinations were well-filmed, but otherwise? Not anything I really need to see again.

Watched The Town yesterday. I think people will probably compare it to Heat in a few ways, which is probably accurate but not entirely fair as well, if that makes sense. I don't think it's trying to be Heat or better than it, but there are some similar plot points that may see people doing a 'vs' comparison, which is what I think would be unfair. I really enjoyed it, maybe not as much as Gone Baby Gone, but is still quite good. I enjoyed Eberts review, I think it was pretty accurate.

Saw- Like Mike said, there's promise in this concept but it's not well executed. On the other hand I quite like shit films, so I found this perfectly watchable. Wasn't nearly as gory as I figured it would be either, it really was more of a mind game, which is what this should be, even if none of the twists and turns really shocked me. I think I'm going to have to see how far I can stomach another of my shit series reviews, only this time with a franchise I swore I'd never touch.

Send Ian out, he's about 4 hours closer. Plus I seem to have lost my gold hotpants.

It's true that I make a better Rocky - I've got pretty much the same hair.

The first time I watched that film was with some stoned Australians in Canada - I imagine that's even better than a live theatre viewing!

Saw II- Sorta feels like an extended TV show plot rather than a film, but it wasn't horrible. I'm really starting to feel that the gore thing has been overstated. Interested to see where Saw III goes (been too long since the e-2 show to recall) but at the same time I can see the root of a lot of the flaws that the later reviews point out, the crossovers and machinations are starting to take hold.

Starting to feel like this franchise is basically just The Crystal Maze if Richard O'Brien went a bit mental.

Freaks (1932) - A classic horror film that stands out for its question of what defines human and inhuman, in a period where most horror films were about fantastical monsters.

Citizen Kane (1941) - It's a great film. Is it the greatest film of all time? No, and I don't believe you can determine one film as the greatest ever. It's great just for having some of the most gorgeous cinematography to ever be put on film.

House of Wax (1953) - One of Vincent Price's best.

The Haunting (1963) - A great horror film about suspense, atmosphere, and the scariness of what you don't see.

An American Werewolf in London (1981) - A great mix of horror and comedy; the transformation scene is still impressive.

The Evil Dead (1981) - Another great mix of horror and comedy, albeit more in a more gross out vein. You can tell from this early film that Raimi has talent.

Re-Animator (1985) - I didn't even notice it, but I was really on a horror-comedy roll. Jeffrey Combs is perfect as Herbert West and the film goes from crazy to insane near the end.

Jacob's Ladder (1990) - A brilliant film about war and religion. The party scene in particular is a mindfuck.