Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course. But that was a pretty "grounded" story. I've seen Sackhoff play lots of serious and nuanced action characters, but I just wonder if she can play something as broad as a character like Ms. Marvel. I mean, the heroes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are practically cartoon characters compared to Kara Thrace.

I'm not saying she can't do it, I'm just curious.

This might be blasphemy, but I don't think Howard the Duck is anything special in terms of it's badness. It's just regular 80's bad.

In the same vein, LXG, which a bizarre adaptation of the source material, is merely ordinary bad. That is to say, it's a bland hero team film but not without aspects to recommend it. Although I wouldn't actually recommend it.

Having watch Cool as Ice last night my definition horrible is rather neatly calibrated.

Of course. But that was a pretty "grounded" story. I've seen Sackhoff play lots of serious and nuanced action characters, but I just wonder if she can play something as broad as a character like Ms. Marvel. I mean, the heroes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are practically cartoon characters compared to Kara Thrace.

I'm not saying she can't do it, I'm just curious.

She's an alcoholic military officer bestowed with cosmic power. That isn't too broad. She's like a cross between Hal Jordan and Iron Man, but, you know, a chick.

Towards the end, yes, Starbuck becomes bigger than life but most of the series, she a very grounded pilot who also has a fucking giant self-destructive streak, periods of self-loathing, and is often an incredibly selfish person who uses people until they stop living up to her preconceived notion of who she wants them to be and how they should be interacting with her. Along the same lines, she only has one stable relationship with another character (Captain Adama) and that's partially supported by a lie. That said, through all of this, she was still dedicated to being that pilot, being a person who consistently came through for her people, and a person who, in the end, would sacrifice herself if it meant saving other.

Just based off of that, if anyone can play a character like Captain Marvel, Katie Sackhoff can do it.