The Dark Knight Rises

annericelover

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...does this imply that Bruce settles down with Selena?

I think the title of the movie ("Rises") implies that this ends with the beginning of the "traditional" Batman story, not the end of it. After all, the arc between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight has really been about Bruce trying to define and understand his role as Batman. I'm pretty sure that by the end, he'll accept the idea that he will always be Batman, rather than work towards the day when he can put away the cowl, as he's been trying to do since the first movie.

I don't know how I feel about Hatheway portraying Selena Kyle, Nolan seems to have been great with his choices, so I have faith in his casting, but I still will have to see. Hopefully we won't have Catwoman in this film, it would be a nice cliffhanger of sorts to introduce her character and than leave us to see what the new director will do in the next installment(hopefully we won't have another incident like with Billy Dee Williams turning into Tommy Lee Jones). I am excited to see Bane in the cards, I know with the writing style of Goyer and the Nolan's his will be the Knightfall Bane we will get, not a stupid brute.

It does make me wonder if Talia will be in the film as a sort of love triangle for Bruce. It be a smart thing for the studio to keep that a secret until the film comes out. With Batman being an outlaw it would be a perfect way for Talia to try and manipulate Bruce to go into the dark side of his world, Selena could be the opposite, the one who keeps him wanting to do right(this is before she becomes Catwoman I'm sure). The titles Rises could mean him RISING above his demons and finally being able to accept his life and go into a new era in his crime fighting lifestyle(with the first film of the new series having a young Dick Grayson, since it'll be a new director I think it would be time, Nolan could always stay on as producer)

I'd say Bane is an excellent, and very appropriate, choice for Batman's next nemesis <Tom Hardy pun> in The Dark Knight Rises. The thing I always wondered after The Dark Knight, after I composed myself a year later, is "how can Nolan top a villain like the Joker?" Joker challenged Batman's core values and threatened all that Batman has already achieved so early in his career, organized crime at it's weakest and Gotham beginning to pull itself together. While in the comics the Joker has, by far, had the most damaging effects upon Batman's world - death of Jason Todd, paralysis of Barbara Gordon, countless murders and mayhem, etc, but it was Bane who physically broke Batman by wearing him down, not only physically with the sheer amount of Rogues roaming free, but mentally straining Batman with not revealing himself immediately. Batman knew there was a Bane, but not who or where he was.

Bane can serve incredibly to the climax of the escalation theme of the Nolanverse. A cunning and physically threatening opponent, with just as much meticulous attention his plans as the Joker.

I have no doubt the Nolans and Goyer, along with the spectacular cast, will not disappoint the audience in the slightest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hathaway: This fucken sucks. Talk about getting an instant high when finding out Catwoman was in the movie, and then getting doused in cold water when realizing who's going to play her. What, was Eva Green scared off by Bale's bat-voice?

Could you elaborate on your problems with Hathaway in the role?

Could you elaborate on your problems with Hathaway in the role?

Sure. These are the Hathaway movies I've seen:

Havoc

Rachel Getting Married

Devil Wears Prada

Ella Enchanted

Get Smart

Love & Other Drugs

Brokeback Mountain

She's a good actress with a strong suit in sitcom-y, snappy dialogue. She can play "bad girl" but in a very high school, young-adult kind of way. She lacks the innate sultry, sexy, slinky aura of Selina Kyle. She's not as dangerous, womanly, sophisticated or mysterious, as Catwoman needs to be.

I have a strong suspicion that Nolan had Marion Cottilard cast, and she had to back out due to her pregnancy.

I also don't think Anne's "off-beat" casting is comparable to Heath's casting. It's evident from Monster and Brokeback that he had a lot of buried, intense crazy energy in him. And I was excited to see him as the Joker from the beginning. But Anne doesn't have that devil-may-care yet vulnerable oxymoronic quality about her. Unless she completely changes her voice, her style of "reacting" (eye blink, pursed lips) that she's used in other movies, and just full-on morphs into a new human being, I'm not going to be looking forward to her in the Dark Knight rises.

I will, however, be looking forward to the possibility of Darren Aronofsky directing The Dark Knight (3) in 2017. Or later. I'll wait.

Maybe this will help alleviate the fears about Hathaway.

"Yeah.. She's phenomenal," said Pfister when asked if he shot the Catwoman screentest, "This is something she wanted and wanted to show Chris, 'I'm the one for this job' and she did an incredible job... and she looked phenomenal in the wardrobe. It's going to be amazing with her."

Later, Connelly tried to clarify that the test did, indeed, involve Catwoman and not just Selina Kyle, but was unable to achieve confirmation.

"I'll get fired and I won't even get to shoot the picture!" Pfister laughed, "I can't really [say], but I definitely want to be around next year."

Pfister also addressed various rumors, including shooting down the idea that any the production would take place in New Orleans and also commented on the recent internet rumor that Robin Williams would be joining the cast in the part of Hugo Strange.

"I haven't even heard that," he said, genuinely surprise, "Look, they have to keep a lot of secrets from me anyway... I don't really know. They can turn around and surprise me, too. When I saw the list of girls that we were going to be screen-testing before they cast Anne, I didn't know myself who was real and who wasn't until about two days before the test..."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125274-anne-hathaways-dark-knight-rises-costume-test-qphenomenalq