What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last five Hellraiser films are odd. As far as I know, ALL of the films after Bloodline were scripts for standalone horror films with the Cenobites shoehorned in.

Bloodline I enjoy the past portion and that's about it. The visuals are neat and it has my favorite Pinhead quote: (pointing to earth in the distance) "A Garden of Eden. A Garden of flesh."

Inferno I love. A great hard boiled detectivce story with a supernatural twist. It's lessened in impact by Pinhead's thirty seconds of screentime but Craig Scheffer is damn near brilliant in it.

Hellseeker had its moments and I liked the actors. Pretty much rote though.

Deader is fucktarded. Making it even worse, the DVD extras have outtakes which show Pinhead flubbing lines. Not what I want to see in a Hellraiser release.

Hellworld is a bag of shite. A great big steaming bag of shite that not even Lance Henriksen can class up. Awful.

Funnily enough, I think I like all of them better than III: Hell on Earth.

Crazy Heart: Really nicely done. Jeff Bridges is great, Maggie Gyllenhall is surprisingly hot. I loved this movie until the last two minutes, which totally changed the whole film. I still recommend it, but not as strongly as I thought I would. Amazing songs though.

And Robert Duvall sings during the end credits. Awesome.

Catching up with the Friedman's, a documentary about the paedophile case in the 80's involving a father and son that tore a family apart. This was one of the creepiest documentaries I've ever seen, you are actually seeing the downfall of the family before your eyes, and the film is one of those that can stay with you well after it is done.

Catching up with the Friedman's, a documentary about the paedophile case in the 80's involving a father and son that tore a family apart. This was one of the creepiest documentaries I've ever seen, you are actually seeing the downfall of the family before your eyes, and the film is one of those that can stay with you well after it is done.

The great thing about that documentary is that it was supposed to be about clowns. When they realized what they had they just threw that out the window and went with the crazy family of pedophiles angle.

The great thing about that documentary is that it was supposed to be about clowns. When they realized what they had they just threw that out the window and went with the crazy family of pedophiles angle.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I found that out.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I don't know why, but I've fallen in love with this movie. I think it's the fact that they look and act like normal people, not how people usually act in a movie. I also love the ending. It's upbeat, but not as cheesy as love stories usually are.

Starting a Netflix-aided rewatch of Mad Men prior to the new season at the end of the month.

Got through the first three eps tonight, remembering how much I love Joan, kind of amazed at the growth that Peggy will undergo from the start of this season, and remembering how much I loved some of these early episodes (Marriage of Figaro, especially). Also, reminded of the fact that I absolutely hate Pete and Betty, and this will probably never change.

So. Just saw a midnight showing of Inception. Non spoilery thoughts:

MUST SEE AGAIN. Also, NO FUCKING WAY.

In short, definitely go see it. Will probably expand later, but I will recommend right off the bat, do NOT go into this with spoilers of any kind.

Really looking forward to my lunchtime viewing of this. Looks amazing.

IT IS. AND HOLY SHIT. AND ALSO SLEEP DEP CAPSLOCK. AND MIND RACING BECAUSE OF IMPLICATIONS OF... WELL, ENTIRE FILM.

(Apologies, all.)

Wow, now I fully expect to come out of this feeling like a 13 year old of limited imagination seeing the Matrix for the first time.

Keep in mind, I was writing that at 3 AM in the morning my time. Though, everyone at the end of my showing was shouting NO FUCKING WAY at the screen at the end. So. :P

Okay, so, slightly more coherent thoughts.

Nolan does an amazing job of world building, especially for the process of extraction that makes up most of the movie. Ellen Page's character (whose name is pretty significant and becomes even more so as it goes on through the movie) is the new kid on the team and to the process, and, because of that, gets to help indirectly guide us through the entire process and its mechanics. The rumors I've heard have Nolan working on this script for the better part of ten years, and with how well this is written, I can believe it.

This is one of those few movies that have all these big names tossed in there that actually works. All of the actors do an amazing job actually, you know, ACTING and not playing versions of themselves. Props especially to Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Tom Hardy for what they do with their characters and their roles in the film, Cotillard especially, who, by the end of the film, will scare the everloving shit out of you.

Also, as you'd expect, all the special effects that you've seen in the trailer make amazing amounts of sense within the scenes themselves and how it relates to things like shifting gravity, etc. Again, goes back to the building of the extraction process, which is beyond amazingly done.

The film drags a bit in the middle, when they're building the team for the final act, but the revelations that come and are set up during it are actually absolutely necessary for a large part of the final act and understanding what came before, so.

I said earlier to go in without spoilers of any kind, and I can't emphasize that enough. As such, will not be discussing spoilers at least until Stav gets back from his showing.

I too just saw Inception. GREAT film, the way it constructs itself actually eliminates any questions you might have about the concept, so what your left with a tight, insanely well-realised film. Can't say much more than that for dear of spoiling, but its really very good.

Although by the end you'll have spotted more than a few similarities with Shutter Island, what with Dicaprio being the lead. But then, you could compare it to The Matrix, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Oceans 11 and a dozen other films and still not quite cover it.

Told you! :P

So, how many people shouted at the screen at the ending at yours? And, for that matter, what'd you think of the ending?

We're British, we don't shout at the screen. It was lunchtime, so the cinema wasn't full either, although there were quite a few more than I thought there would be at that time of day.

As for the ending, I figured it was just a bit of fun to seed some doubt, I didn't read too much into it. The implications would be interesting, but didn't really change how I viewed the rest of the film too much.

I've finished up my Captain Scarlet boxset. Slightly disappointed that the finale was a clip show and the penultimate episode was a dream sequence (albeit, an AWESOME dream sequence), but the overall standard is pretty good for a 1960s puppet sci-fi show.

I've finished up my Captain Scarlet boxset. Slightly disappointed that the finale was a clip show and the penultimate episode was a dream sequence (albeit, an AWESOME dream sequence), but the overall standard is pretty good for a 1960s puppet sci-fi show.

I fucking LOVE Captain Scarlet, best thing Anderson ever did.