What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

I've finished up my Captain Scarlet boxset. Slightly disappointed that the finale was a clip show and the penultimate episode was a dream sequence (albeit, an AWESOME dream sequence), but the overall standard is pretty good for a 1960s puppet sci-fi show.

I fucking LOVE Captain Scarlet, best thing Anderson ever did.

The Thunderbirds boxset is sitting on my shelf unplayed, but as soon as I saw Captain Scarlet in HMV, I bought the boxset and started on it as soon as I got home. Possibly because Captain Scarlet doesn't have a live action movie made within the last decade to sour me on the original TV series...

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've finished up my Captain Scarlet boxset. Slightly disappointed that the finale was a clip show and the penultimate episode was a dream sequence (albeit, an AWESOME dream sequence), but the overall standard is pretty good for a 1960s puppet sci-fi show.

I fucking LOVE Captain Scarlet, best thing Anderson ever did.

The Thunderbirds boxset is sitting on my shelf unplayed, but as soon as I saw Captain Scarlet in HMV, I bought the boxset and started on it as soon as I got home. Possibly because Captain Scarlet doesn't have a live action movie made within the last decade to sour me on the original TV series...

Captain Scarlet was just so much darker and more sinister than Thunderbirds though. Tonnes of deaths, terrorist plots, intrigue and espionage. As cool as Thunderbirds was it was just search and rescue, even if they did have awesome vehicles and The Hood as the bad guy. Actually, to be honest I prefer Stingray to Thunderbird's too. Not Joe 90 though, or fireball XL-5.

I've finally seen The Losers and it was very enjoyable. Not so much that it makes my CBM Top 5, but it's very well done. Then again, I *HATE* the "Don't Stop Believing" song that Jouney unleashed on the world, which counts against this film in a(n admittedly) minute way.

I just watched the first episode of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated and I have to say, one episode made up for 40 years of awfulness. I found myself laughing and enjoying the show for the first time in forever in the history of the franchise.

Really? As someone who is actually a fan of Scooby-Doo, I found it to be okay, but nowhere near the best in the franchise.

I have discovered Chuck, and am thoroughly enjoying it, almost through with season 2. (I don't want to go through all it so fast, I'm scared I'll get tired of it but I just can't stop.)

Eureka and Warehouse 13 have shown up again for their respective fourth and second seasons, great as always.

I just watched the first episode of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated and I have to say, one episode made up for 40 years of awfulness. I found myself laughing and enjoying the show for the first time in forever in the history of the franchise.

Really? As someone who is actually a fan of Scooby-Doo, I found it to be okay, but nowhere near the best in the franchise.

I like the fact that it's funny unlike all of the older series where comedy was "look at the big sandwich." Everyone has a personality, something Daphne has never accomplished. Hell, she got to do something other than just stand there or go to search the master bedroom with Freddy. I also find myself enjoying a Velma/Shaggy pairing. It seems like something that has potential but I never realized before. Finally, the season appears to have some kind of over-lapping plot so I am also looking forward to that. Sure, it's not the best thing on right now but it's still better than classic Scooby or another episode with the Harlem Globtrotters.

Toy Story 3- Step aside Inception, this film just surpassed you. I mean, seriously, I had a lump in my throat the size of a tennis ball by the end, I was hiding behind my 3-D glasses making a conscious effort not to blub like a tiny child. It was funny, touching, scary, everything was just damn perfect. God damn you Pixar I'll let you make the occasional Cars movie if the rest of your stuff is all like this. Which it is.

Loved the Studio Gibli reference too.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 99%. The remaining 1% are the Cylon agents, I'm now off to hunt them down.

Frog Princess- Really felt generic. Plus for every pitfall of negative messages or stereotypes they avoided they fell into ten more. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't up to the usual standard of something produced under John Lasseter.

It's a Boy/Girl thing- Bodyswap comedy, genuinely amusing at some points, but pretty much aware its not supposed to be a good film. Only watched it because it was on iPlayer and I was bored.

Bodyswap method- Ancient Aztec Statue

I'm actually now slightly fascinated by bodyswap films. They have to bring in a sci-fy/fantasy element and discard it just a quickly because its basically got nothing to do with the nuts on bolts of the film. I'd like to make an unofficial sequel to the original Freaky Friday in which it turns out the mother decided to keep her kid's body and killed her daughter in her own body. Then she carried on swapping for younger bodies for years and years, turn it into an out and out horror film. That would be awesome, plus there's a whole mini-genre to pastiche. I'm fascinated enough to check out more in the same vein.

Freaky Friday (2003)

I may be one of the few but I really don't mind Lindsay Lohan on screen, she's got charisma which is more than you can say for most teen actors in these sort of films.

Bodyswap method- Ancient Chinese Secret

I need suggestions for more films in this genre. Face/Off, 17 Again (acceptable due to Matthew Perry). But I'm not watching The Hot Chick, fuck that noise.

Freaky Friday (2003)

I may be one of the few but I really don't mind Lindsay Lohan on screen, she's got charisma which is more than you can say for most teen actors in these sort of films.

That was back when she was still cool. And, y'know, not a drugged-out whore.

Come on, she worked for Disney. All their child/teen actors are drugged up playthings of management. They're almost as bad as the Catholics for that stuff.

I need suggestions for more films in this genre. Face/Off, 17 Again (acceptable due to Matthew Perry). But I'm not watching The Hot Chick, fuck that noise.

Let's see, there were several in the late 80s:

18 Again! with George Burns

Vice Versa with Fred Savage and Judge Reinhold

Like Father Like Son with Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron

Mean Girls is one of the finest comedies of the last decade and much the result of Lohan's work. It's a shame really.

I'll credit Tina Fey with a lot of that since she wrote it, but Lohan is still great in that film.

These comments made me sit down and watch the film. It was offered online on love film, so yay. Good movie, but yeah, the writing did play a big part in it, with the writing. Though Lohan was good, her role could be played by any half talented teen.