Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack seemed to be right.

We recently reported that former WWE star Joey Mercury will be returning to WWE, and Mike Aldren is now reporting that one possible plan for Mercury's return is to have him join CM Punk's straight edge society. Because Mercury was released from WWE back in 2007 due to an addiction to pain killers, the story line would play on his past drug use and how CM Punk "saved" him from his problems.

Source

According to a source within TNA, Jeff Hardy is telling people that he's still "supremely confident" that he will get out of the current legal mess he's in, and if he does, he's headed to TNA.

When Hardy debuted with TNA back on the live, January 4th Impact special, the deal was for one night only despite reports claiming that he had signed some type of extended contract with the company.

However, Hardy's agent is still negotiating with TNA, and Jeff fully expects to be a full-time member of the TNA roster if/when his legal situation clears up.

Taz has taken another stab at WWE announcing while doing commentary for TNA. He took a shot at Adamle. I wouldn't mind, but he's been in the job for months, Taz has been fucking horrible on commentary himself.

I thought it was a legit good shot, and Tazz has been far better in TNA than he was in WWE the last few years.

Taz has taken another stab at WWE announcing while doing commentary for TNA. He took a shot at Adamle. I wouldn't mind, but he's been in the job for months, Taz has been fucking horrible on commentary himself.

I thought it was a legit good shot, and Tazz has been far better in TNA than he was in WWE the last few years.

Yeah, I would have thought so too, if he hadn't been doing it nearly every week since he debuted.

I don't know that it's a good idea for Christian to be making tanning jokes when he's almost as orange as Sheamus's hair.

The are breaking up both Legacy and DX? Vince really does hate tag teams.

Cody's nose ring is not only stupid looking, but distracting during his promos.

Does any company get as much product placement as Subway does on Raw?

Big Show and Miz missed a huge opportunity by not calling themselves the Shiz. "We are the Shiz, and we're awesome" would have been the greatest tagline ever.

He'll be back. So Cal indy guys retire every couple of years it seems.

Which isn't to say I blame him for getting out. He had charisma, but that's about it. He was never going to go anywhere.

During a conference call today, Vince McMahon said that the PPV name Survivor Series is now "obsolete," and will not be used as the title of the November event in the future. He added that the PPV name has "outlasted its usage."

And:

WWE sent out a survey today asking fans if they would be interested in seeing the following PPV ideas. Additionally, the survery notes that the annual WWE draft would possibly be moved to a PPV night , with Superstars and Divas competing in matches to win draft picks for their respective brands.

PPV Name/Theme Ideas:

Tournament:

Single Elimintation "bracket style" tournament where Superstars would compete in multiple matches during the night to become the winner of the tournament.

Legends PPV:

Each match would feature a WWE Legend.

War Games:

Teams of 5 Collide in 2 cages. 2 participants begin the match with a new participant added every 5 minutes. This process is alternated between teams until all members from both teams are present.

Street Fight:

Main Events would feature a 'Street Fight' stipulation where there are no disqualifications & pin-falls count anywhere. Superstars often compete in street clothes.

Money in the Bank PPV:

The main event "Money in the Bank" match requires Superstars to climb a ladder and retrieve a briefcase hung high above the ring. The winner can "cash in" the briefcase for a championship title shot throughout the year. Qualifying matches earlier in the event will determine participants for the "Money in the Bank" match.

Roulette:

Main Event Stipulations would be determined by the spin of a roulette wheel.

Battle Bowl PPV:

Random Tag Teams compete together - sometimes arch-rivals - with the winning teams being put in a 2-ring Battle Royal. The winner could potentially recieve a championship match.

Source

My thoughts, shame, SS was one of my favourite PPV's. Anyway, they better not move MITB from Mania. The legends idea is awful, and I would like to see War Games happen.

After the disappointing results of the show this year, Vince McMahon announced today that the Survivor Series has been dropped as an annual event.

The event, the second oldest annual event in company history, dating back to Thanksgiving of 1987, did 235,000 worldwide buys this year as compared to 319,000 the year before.

McMahon blamed the decline on the idea the team concept is obsolete, was good for its time but no longer resonates.

Last year's show failed miserably because it was headlined by a Cena/Hunter/Shawn match that personified everything that's wrong with modern WWE booking. It was a poorly written comedy show that completely ignored the fact that it was a World title match. It had nothing to do with the team concept, which hasn't been the focus of the PPV in years.

It's funny how this stuff wasn't obsolete when DOA and the Nation were having awful matches on PPV ten years ago. Probably because they had Bret and Shawn on top and acted like it meant something.

Fuck, look in the mirror for once, Vince.

Yup, its more about execution than the concept. If they pushed the matches as meaning something and put together a strong card they wouldn't have these issues. I bet you that whatever they replace it with does a worse number next year.

Money in the bank as its own PPV is a nice idea, but doesn't work for two reasons. You can't promote a PPV event around one match featuring undercard guys, and if you put current main eventers in it takes away from the concept. Secondly half the reason that match is on Mania is to give more guys a Mania payoff. I wouldn't take that away from guys like Shelton or whoever that otherwise would not get to be on that card.

More insight into the direction Vince is taking the company:

During this morning's investor conference call, WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon says he is planning to launch WWE's upcoming television network by next summer. He said WWE is already working on the project:

"Right now, we're continuing along the lines of a formula in which we will soon be presenting and taking the next steps. We think there is tremendous opportunity," he said. "If things happen as we hope, it will be a really big game-changer. There is huge opportunity as it relates to domestically and internationally. We are pursuing that and taking the next steps."

McMahon does not think WWE's current television partners will mind WWE promoting their own network during current WWE programming and compared their strategy to how the NFL promotes their own NFL network during NFL games on CBS, ESPN, etc. He also said WWE plans to keep RAW on the USA Network for many years to come, while SmackDown's future is less certain.

"The strategy will be maintaining the broadcasts, therefore, keeping Raw on USA Net for many years to come and find a really strong home, whether it be MyNet or someone else, for Smackdown," he said. "We don't see any interruption for Raw or Smackdown. The new network could tie-in to Raw and Smackdown and enhance the two brands."

Most guys Vince's age are golfing somewhere in Florida. I think Vince will keep going until he can't anymore. He'll probably die on Raw and work it into an angle.