Earth-2.net X-men Draft

Stavros

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Summers and Deadpool walk, in casual clothes, down a San Francisco street. Hope looks like the average teenaged girl. Wade looks like he's cosplaying Darkman. As they come to a small apartment building, Hope opens the door, holding it for Deadpool.

DP: She'd better come along. Airline tickets aren't cheap, and you know, since you're a infant, aged in the future, raised to an adult age, you have no credit. My credit sucks due to an incident with some Golden Girls Collector's Plates and the home shopping network and Weasel is running out of expensive stuff for me to pawn.

Hope: We could always start selling your body.

DP: ...Are you sure you're Nate's kid? He never had much for a sense of humor.

Hope grins widely, before closing her eyes, and pointing to the door ahead of them, marked 164.

Hope: There, she's in there.

DP: I suppose you want to try knocking and talking to her first, huh?

Hope: You have another idea?

DP: I kick in the door, shoot a few inanimate objects, scream incoherently, and she joins us out of sheer terror?

Hope: Wade, you were an actual soldier at one point...

DP: I was a pretty crappy soldier. I mean, they threw me out of the Canadian Army. A few of their Generals still don't know which end of the gun the bullets come out of.

Hope knocks on the door gingerly. After a moment, the door opens and a pink skinned mutant peers back. Blink.

Hope: Clarice? Clarice Ferguson?

Blink: ...Because there's a bunch of other women who look like this running around.

Hope: I'm Hope Summers. My associate and I, Wade “Deadpool” Wilson, have an offer for you. How would you like to save the world, Blink?

Blink: I could be convinced, I've heard a lot of people say that kind of stuff. Usually, they do more harm than good.

Hope and Deadpool step into the doorway.

Hope: Trust me, Clarice, we'll be doing things those people only dreamed of.

The door closes behind Wade, Hope and Clarice.

288409-145029-blink.jpg

The Mutant known as Blink has nearly unlimited teleportation abilities. Throw in the fact that she can simply use her teleportation fields to “shred” any opponents offensively and Blink will be a strong addition to Agency X as both a method of transport and offensive powerhouse. Clarice is skeptical of Hope's mission, and she despises the fact that Deadpool is even involved, but for some reason, she finds herself drawn to this idea of changing the world for the better, making a place where her pinkskin and pointed ears don't make her feel like a freak. Blink wants to make the world see that, yes, there is a better way. (Note: I really, really wanted to use the Exiles/AoA Blink, but I stuck with the 616 because using AoA Blink felt like cheating.)

See, that's a close one because at least AOA characters, including Blink, have visited 616. I'd have no issue with for example Dark Beast being picked if wanted. She's also the primary version of the character in comics. What I wanted to avoid was people picking Ultimate Colossus because 616 Colossus is gone, but I don't think Blink falls into that category. I'm fine with it if you want Exiles Blink. The fact that she visited the 616 world, interacted with 616 characters and clearly had reality hopping technology puts her over the edge for me.

Okay, removing Blink from my potential list now.

The nice thing is, in half of these cases, I can get a good guess on who people might choose from here on out. While half of us are going a little unpredictable in that they're going for a highly diverse team, the other half have a theme going on. Hell, I've actually removed a couple of characters from my want list just because I know someone else definitely has to have them on theirs (Tom, Austen, Des, Preston, and Professor in particular).

What I find funny is that Kenny has X-Factor while building a slightly more traditional X-Men team while Tom has X-Men while building a team more akin to an X-Factor reunion.

My next pick is going to be an honest coinflip between two characters because I'm sure the one I don't grab is going to go this next round.

There was actually a highly diverse X-men team under Rogue that included Sabertooth, Mystique, Iceman, Cannonball and a whole bunch of interesting characters. I'm heading slightly more towards that in my idea, even if I'm not replicating many of the characters themselves.

And so Round 3 ends. It's interesting that even with three picks apiece no-one's quite got my attention with a winning combo yet. Kenny's X-factor is a favourite for me personally, but You Know Who probably has the strongest team of traditional X-men. Hannah and Dan follow close behind with Namor and Psylocke spoiling my enjoyment slightly. Suave appears to be putting together a new brotherhood of evil mutants for some reason. With Cable and Hope on separate teams Dread and Preston have definitively ended the chance of a winning Babychest.

Round Four begins. Kenny's go!

Since we're slowly getting into that tricky period where more obscure characters are going to become a necessity, here are a few characters that I believe deserve a moment in your consideration. Hell, a couple of them are in contention for my last four slots.

Sage- A Cyberpath/Telepath and a favorite of Chris Claremont. Great if you need someone to give your team a tactical edge.

M- She can do just about everything (Flight, strength, invulnerability, telepathy) great for whatever you need her for.

Husk- A very versatile character. Give her something and she can change the composition of her body to it. Hell, she's done fire while possessed once so could make for an interesting arc.

Anole- Acrobatic, Camouflage, some strength, and regenerative abilities.

Rockslide: A great bruiser. Freaking strong and durable as all hell (Body is made out of rock and, in the case of being broken apart, he can just pull himself back together from whatever stone is handy, even if it's the rocks in Hell.) Plus has a fun personality.

Blindfold: Precognitive, some telepathy, and a skilled hand-to-hand combatant.

Wiccan: The freaking son of the Scarlet Witch, nearly as powerful as mommy.

Firestar: Burn baby burn.

Surge: Generates electricity that can be let you in destructive bursts or in spurts of super-speed.

Since my first three picks were all very serious and comparatively elderly characters, my next one will be a younger, less serious character who can connect with the troubled students of Xavier Institute, act as comic relief, and kick all kind of ass. I give you...

1030953-nextwave_04_page__20_super.jpg

Tabitha Smith, a.k.a. BOOM-BOOM.

Shortly after she was resurrected, Jean and Logan had a conversation in bed one night. He broke it to her that he couldn't join her team. The kids needed him. It had been years and some massive traumas since she was their teacher. In Exchange for teaching the occasional class (and maybe some time she got to gossip with Emma about Scott), Logan supplied her with a couple of kids that might be willing and ready to help her new team.

"Logan?"

"yeah, Red?"

"When did you have a daughter?"

Jean promises to treat X-23 like she isn't a kid, something Logan still won't do. Not everything can be straightforward. Jean needs someone experienced in stealth. No assassinations. Ever. X knows Jean isn't mentioning something but still. Jean shows her the list and asks who she suggests to fill a couple of holes in her list since she knows this so called last generation of mutants well.

322px-New_X-Men_Vol_2_20_Variant_X-23_Textless.jpg

Goddamnit, Will, I was going to go for her after I did this next one. :P Good choice, though.

Illyana Rasputin, also known as Magik, has always been close to Kitty. When she hears that Kitty has restarted Excalibur, she reaches out to Kitty to join the team, as she wants to atone for her sins and regain the trust of her friends. This seems the best place to do it.

You're up, Austen!

I'm back, and this should come as no surprise:

31_dark_x_men_2.jpg

Nate Grey: Dubbed X-Man, Nate was another reality's child of Cyclops and Jean Grey (from the genetic manipulation of Mr. Sinister) who, without the techno-virus and under the tutelage of Forge, became quite possibly the most powerful being of any reality. He's seen firsthand the horrors those like Apocalypse can produce left un-checked, and will do anything (quite literally) to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Thanks Stavros!

In keeping with my new no-nonsense attitude to this draft I'm gonna go get my big gun-

prv9420_pg5.jpg

prv9420_pg6.jpg

Doreen Green aka Squirrel Girl, card carrying member of the Great Lakes Avengers, Great Lakes X-men and the New Avengers. Has beaten- Dr Doom, the Mandarin, MODOK, Thanos, Terrax, Deadpool, Fin Fang Foom, Ego the Living Planet, Korvac, Wolverine, the list goes on. Basically she doesn't lose. EVER. Comes complete with Squirrel companions.