Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See now, that's awesome. "Raysh" sounds a lot cooler than "Rahs."

And, technically, even the character's creator has gone back and forth on how to pronounce it, so it's okay either way.

I was introduced to the character via Batman Begins so that's why I pronounce as "Rahs". It also sounds a lot more intimidating than "Raish." I'll have ask someone fluent in Arabic about how it's pronounced (since the name is Arabic for "the demon's head"), but since there are a lot of Arabic dialects, it might well vary among Arabic-speakers just as it does among comic book creators.

In Arabic, it'd actually be pronounced "Roo's", since "The Demon's Head" translates roughly into "Ru's Al Ghoul".

There is no single "correct" pronunciation.

whoa now that pronunciation would have be unintimidating...

anyways...Chicago stood in for Gotham City in the Nolan Batman films while it looks like New Orleans will be acting as Coast City for Green Lantern. Which city(s) should do y'all think should do the same for Metropolis in this film?

The New York-as-Metropolis thing was done to death in the Donner films, right down to the idea that Metropolis was literally just NYC with a different name. The aerial view of the city clearly showed Manhattan island. They weren't even trying to hide it.

Metropolis is cool in the comics (and animated series) because it's slightly different. It's the shiniest, newest, most cutting-edge city in the world (the City of Tomorrow). It's a lot brighter and more open than any real-world metropolis is.

I say they should do their best to avoid real-world connections with the city; just go for an original (or comics-inspired) idea.

From the Wolverine 2 thread:

Superman doesn't need to be sold to the masses either. He's Superman. And for the three people out there who don't know Superman, take the route of the first page of All Star Superman, run it before and during the credits, and there you go, the origin roadblock is sidestepped and we can make a great film.

It doesn't matter if people know who Superman is or not; they still think he's lame.

Non-comics fans who are under the age of 30 weren't even born when Superman: The Movie came out. A lot of them don't know that Superman is actually cool; they know him as somewhat of a joke. He's the "uncool" superhero. Your grandpa's superhero. The boring boy scout. Returns didn't help that.

Superman needs the same treatment that J.J. Abrams gave to Star Trek. Give him a movie that can be classified as "kickass."

As deep and powerful as All-Star Superman is, it mostly works (A) as a drama, not an action story, and (B) as a Superman story that's deliberately "different," which mostly only works if you're already familiar with a "normal" Superman story.

What we need right now is for someone to just make a straight-up, normal Superman story, but do it very well. Like Favreau did with Iron Man. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, you just need to make it spin straight.

Do the Morrison-style film AFTER you've established your die-hard fanbase with the current youth.

It doesn't matter if people know who Superman is or not; they still think he's lame.

Non-comics fans who are under the age of 30 weren't even born when Superman: The Movie came out. A lot of them don't know that Superman is actually cool; they know him as somewhat of a joke. He's the "uncool" superhero. Your grandpa's superhero. The boring boy scout. Returns didn't help that.

He's still the world's biggest superhero; you put a film with him in it during the current renaissance of the superhero film and he'll get people into the seats. You just have to make a film that will get great critical response and great word of mouth...

Superman needs the same treatment that J.J. Abrams gave to Star Trek. Give him a movie that can be classified as "kickass."

...not a vapid, soulless, style over substance attempt to "be cool."

As deep and powerful as All-Star Superman is, it mostly works (A) as a drama, not an action story, and (B) as a Superman story that's deliberately "different," which mostly only works if you're already familiar with a "normal" Superman story.

I don't necessarily want an adaptation of All Star Superman, just something that does something different with superhero cinema, but using it as an example: A. it works as both and B. it affected people like myself who could have cared less about Superman before they read it and didn't have a long history with the character.

What we need right now is for someone to just make a straight-up, normal Superman story, but do it very well. Like Favreau did with Iron Man. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, you just need to make it spin straight.

Do the Morrison-style film AFTER you've established your die-hard fanbase with the current youth.

Personally, I think a Superman film deserves something more than simply serving as a straightened wheel.

• 1 month later...

And I am officially excited for this movie. Sorry, I love Hans Zimmer. I'm listening to the Inception soundtrack right now if that's any indicator.

No need to apologize! He's probably the best film score composer out there today after John Williams. His music was a big bright spot for me in the two Pirates of the Caribbean sequels and the scores for the two Batman films he composed with James Newton Howard were AWESOME!!!