What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

I kind of felt a bit differently about YJ. I'm a fan of the show, to be sure, and I always enjoyed it, but only to a mild extent. I rarely felt that the characters were given enough time to breathe and develop before they started to do heavily dramatic stuff. The show was 99% plot-driven and 1% character-driven, which I hated. I felt more emotion in the end of Justice League's "Wild Cards," when John and Shayera finally hooked up, than I did in the entirety of Young Justice. YJ to me felt like the creators throwing arbitrary drama in my face and expecting me to bawl my eyes out when I was just getting annoyed. "SECRET CLONE!" "FAKE DEATH!" "SURPRISE BABY DRAMA!"

And this is in sharp contrast to Greg Weismann's previous animated show, The Spectacular Spider-Man, which I absolutely loved. That had the perfect balance of episodic story to serialized arc, and it was just so fun and lovable.

But then, if you guys are saying you had tears from watching YJ, then apparently it does work for some people. I don't know, maybe YJ just hit a lot of negative triggers for me.

IMO, there's still half a dozen or more other superhero cartoons I'd put ahead of Young Justice. It's good, but I really do think the heavy plotting suffocated the genuineness it needed to work fully.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I pretty much agree with everything you said. By no means a bad show, but I could never really get into it. Spectacular Spider-Man however is second to only Batman: The Animated Series as my favorite superhero series, and it's pretty much what got me interested in animation.

I also love Weisman's Gargoyles but Young Justice just wasn't for me.

As a Gen Xer, obviously I'm biased. However, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends is clearly the greatest thing ever.

First of all, Dan Gilvezan (better remembered as Bumblebee from Transformers G1) is probably the best Spidey voice actor ever.

Second, his chemistry with Frank Welker's Iceman is awesome. They're written like Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, and they're a riot.

Finally, It's one of the few superhero cartoons that accurately reflect the comics of their time. If you walked into a corner store in 1981 after seeing an episode, the issue of Spider-Man on the shelf would have largely the same tone and feel of the episode you just watched. This series was Bronze Age Marvel all over.

House of Cards Season 2: Having watched this along with season 1 in one long marathon since Friday evening, and just finishing this up now, this has been a hell of a ride.

They did a really brave thing with the season opener, by completely wrapping up/throwing out the vast majority of the plot lines left from the S1 cliffhanger. I honestly couldn't believe they killed Zoe off first episode the way they did.

They went with way more current political things for this season, which I'm not entirely sure how I feel about (China, cyberterrorism), but the overall machinations of the Underwoods this season, and seeing how he plays off and against the inner players of the President's circle is just amazing to watch. We also get Claire in even more of a central role, which is amazing to watch, especially with her own machinations. The increased focus on how the Underwoods work together in their marriage was also something I really liked about this. (Also, the surprise threesome. Wow.)

Some of the more minor characters from last season also get an increased role (Frank, Rachel, Stamper), which plays out in varying degrees of success.

On the Young Justice thing, there's something about modern character designs that fails to invoke quite the same feeling as the classic Justice League/BTAS stuff, so on a fundamental superhero level it was missing that small step for me. However it was well plotted, performed and the actual animation quality was strong. It just never had those moments of wonder that are quintessential to the idea of super heroics for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Iron Sky. It's amazingly, unexpectedly, actually a pretty amazing political satire, on top of being as over the top ridiculous as you'd expect from a film about Nazis from the dark side of the moon. Also, yes, it does parody the ever popular Hitler meme. Definitely worth a watch on Netflix (where it's streaming, coincidentially!).

The parody of Sarah Palin as President is quite funny.

A few weeks ago I found out there was a live action BIll & Ted television show. I will say, it was most excellent. Yes, it is stupid and altogether pointless, but it was fun. This was very early 90s. The guys they got for Bill & Ted were surprisingly good. Other people, not as much. And they dropped Rufus about half way thru after realizing he wasn't needed.

This reminded me of The Tick. In that, at only seven episodes it never lost the fun. And that was going to happen sooner rather than later.

I just pounded through Game of Thrones Season 3. Easily the best season yet, but they're adapting the strongest book, so it's expected.

The Jamie/Brienne arc was a great amount of fun, Danerys was badass, and the Wall stuff was all very solid, but the best thing they did wasn't even in the book. Actually showing Ramsay Snow's utter destruction of Theon Greyjoy is incredible, and the fact that they gave Ramsay an actual personality is outstanding.

That and the Red Wedding was a blast. Walder Frey and Roose Bolton are my heroes.

They've already changed minor stuff to make it viable in this format, but they're not going to change big deaths or plot points. The hardcores are too fundamental to the show audience, plus ou don't spend this muh time on a concept without loving it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm finally sitting down and watching "The Clone Wars", (thanks, Netflix), and I'm seriously impressed. I'm starting episode six, andthe death of Heavy has more emotional resonance than anything that happened in the entire prequel trilogy. Anakin is the charming rouge (aka The Han Solo) he was supposed to be. The clones have personalities. Obi-Wan and Anakin actually feel like the Robot-Murderin'-Bros they were supposed to be. Grevious is scary. I'm really, really impressed so far.

EDIT: Ron Perlman just showed up. +10 XP.

One thing of caution: there are lots of episodes in the first three seasons of The Clone Wars that take place out of chronological order. There's actually two episodes in season 1 ("Cat and Mouse" and "The Hidden Enemy") that take place just before the Clone Wars movie, while the last episode of S1 ("Hostage Crisis") actually takes place nearer to Season 3 than anything else.

I'm not sure I'd recommend actually trying to watch the whole show in proper chronological order, as that would require a lot of jumping back and forth in the production order and that would be weird, but there is an official chronological list out there if you want to consult it.

One day I may actually just make an annotated list/guide for it all; it was hell watching through the show as it was airing and trying to figure it all out. The episodes stand on their own pretty well so it was mostly fine, but trying to figure out an overall arc was crazy.

As much as I enjoy The Rescuers Down Under, the most underrated Disney film is 'Basil, The Great Mouse Detective'. For the simple fact that no other Disney film has Vincent Price voicing a rat version of Moriarty who records his own mocking song for his adversary's death.