DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still hanging on DC-wise, but I'm down to Batwoman, and Wonder Woman - which I'm only checking out for a couple of issues. To be honest, I'll probably drop both of those pretty soon.

Huh. If I do that, I won't be collecting any Marvel or DC titles for the first time since I started reading comics back in the (very) early 80's.

Either one would be a huge exaggeration. There's large chunk of crap books and a large chunk of good books. Considering that most books have only gone through one complete story arc as of yet, we'll still need to wait a good while before things start to conform to any standard of quality, and even then, another few years before you could judge the reboot as a whole. It is an entire fictional universe, after all.

BMINC_5.jpg

BATMAN, INCORPORATED #5

Written by GRANT MORRISON

Art and cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

Variant cover by FRAZER IRVING

1:00 B&W Variant cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

On sale OCTOBER 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $3.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.

• Return to the future world seen in BATMAN #666, where Damian has taken over the mantle of the Bat!

• The whole world has gone mad. The only sane people left are in Arkham Asylum – where Batman is the warden!

:buttrock:

Has anybody been reading Green Arrow since Ann Nocenti started writing it? I'm seriously thinking of dropping the book even though it's one of the few monthly books I make a point to buy and GA is one of about my top three favourite DC heros along with Superman and Nightwing.

Nocenti does not seem to understand who Ollie IS. Not in the way he speaks, acts or thinks. The stories she is trying to tell come across as all over the place, boring, clumsy and heavy handed. Here first ark was finished by GA getting kidnapped, away and kidnapped again for filler and yet the interesting ideas are glossed over or dispatched with as quickly as they came. Issue #11 brought a Occupy Wall Street inspired story that seems dated already and like I was being ranted at by people who may have some good points but are going about it all wrong, much like Mike said kids at the school he works at do. Also even though she has Ollie say the Dark Arrows as they are called should not be trying to set him on fire and stealing from a charity he does not seem to have a view stated on the issue they are debating in the fight. Ollie has been liberal for a long, LONG time and will still be one as the series moves on but my god, why is the political message not coming from him and why does the comic yet feel more like a pamphlet with a retractable stick with the message printed on it to beat it into your head? From what I can see of her past work I assume she can tell a good story as well as make her politics known. She has a lot of fans saying she can do just that, so why is it so off here?

I'm really getting quite sad with the series right now and if it were not for the Arrow TV show coming up I'd expect it to get canned soon too. Is it too early to get somebody new on again or to ask J.T. Krul back?

-Skyler

Since JT Krul is my least favourite writer I hope not. I mean, I've got about 10 GA trades on my shelf and that book was dead to me for a couple of years or so before the reboot, but JT Krul is never the answer.

He was never a terrific writer but I never felt bad that I paid for an issue before.

-Skyler

BMINC_5.jpg

BATMAN, INCORPORATED #5

Written by GRANT MORRISON

Art and cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

Variant cover by FRAZER IRVING

1:00 B&W Variant cover by CHRIS BURNHAM

On sale OCTOBER 24 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $3.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.

• Return to the future world seen in BATMAN #666, where Damian has taken over the mantle of the Bat!

• The whole world has gone mad. The only sane people left are in Arkham Asylum – where Batman is the warden!

:buttrock:

It'd be better if they were able to get Andy Kubert to draw the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting interview with Grant Morrison. Among other things, Grant Morrison is leaving Action Comics after issue 16 and Batman Inc after #12.

The Batman Inc part, was already known, he should have just ended his Batman run with Batman & Robin, his Batman stuff after that was just, stale. However, Action Comics is interesting. Has anyone been reading his run, and how has it been?

It's kinda crappy. It started off great, but now it wanders between "really good" and "so off the rails it's unrecognizable at best." Worst of all is that it's done little-to-no actual world-building for Superman. I still don't really know what motivates this version of Superman or who he really cares about. He's had almost no scenes with Lois and Jimmy; I don't even know if Lois is supposed to be his love interest in this story. It's made harder to tell because Morrison's doing his "non-traditional dialogue" thing, so no one talks like a normal person. It's all in forced declaratory sentences that are phrased oddly.

It's actually on a nice quality upswing at the moment (doing a "Death of Clark Kent" arc). I hope it stays this good until the end, but I'm not really sure it will.

I actually think Morrison (and DC's unwillingness to reign him in) is the problem. Morrison's basically done whatever he wanted to do with Action, and unfortunately since that involved basically no solid world-building, there wasn't a foundation for Perez to work off of. And since DC basically gave Morrison the keys to the Supermanmobile and didn't ask where he was going or what he was doing, now everything's in a messy (or really just vague and undefined) place.