JLA Draft

dc20willsave

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly it's nice to grab two characters at once, but I also have to sweat as 24 characters get chosen in between my turns. I've had to rethink my team over and over again. (Which is not a bad thing.)

I like the idea of the snaking draft as a concept, but it would probably work better with a smaller group of players.

"You wish me to join?"

There's a slight upturn of upturn of her lips--not enough to be a smile, too little to be a smirk.

"You are aware that I do not tread the same path as yours....that many times, our paths are in opposition?"

The powerful brunette nodded. "We both know you have frequently tread our path of righteousness, just not as often as we'd like. You've helped others attain their full potential, protected places that needed help, and aided the just."

"My reasons for doing these things were my own."

"We are both warriors, woman. We know that the best warrior has her code of honor."

"And you think this code will compel me to aid you?"

The brunette nodded again. "This is an opportunity--"

"For you. What makes you think I will not destroy your little club from within?"

"Because you would not succeed."

"And you would stop me?"

"I would try. And I promise you, as a warrior of Apokalips, you would not be unbloodied after we are done." Barda sat opposite the woman as she poured them both tea, wondering what was going on behind that serene face. "Give us the chance. I promise if you join us, you will see the benefits of working with the League. Given time, the blood that stains your hands will be cleansed."

"And yet I have never given indication that I wished that blood cleansed."

The tall, striking Asian woman took a sip of her tea. The upturn of her lips...changed a bit. A strange, musical sound came from her throat, and Barda realized something...

The woman Batman had called the deadliest woman on Earth was laughing.

"Do not try to persuade me any further. I consent. Not because you appeal to my honor...but because it amuses me."

Lady_Shiva_0004.jpg

(Yes, this may very well be my most contraversial choice...)

Sounds interesting Des, I'll look forward to hearing your ideas!

Once I nail it all down, I'll probably draft Will to my team to put the spreadsheet together if he's cool with that. I don't do spreadsheets.

I like the idea of the snaking draft as a concept, but it would probably work better with a smaller group of players.

Absolutely.

(Yes, this may very well be my most contraversial choice...)

Out of all the teams, yours and Chris' are the ones I would most like to read.

I'm going fairly conventional because Batman and Wonder Woman will legitimise some of my more non-traditional choices. Beetle for example has never had a shot on a serious Justice League, and is a fantastic viewpoint character throught which to understand Bats and Diana. I do have slight craziness to come, but whilst big guns are available I want to take them.

Sorry, this is going to be long.

Alan Scott: "Are we in the right place?"

Rip: ....Yes. Let's just get him, and get out. What the hell are you doing Booster?

Rip looks on annoyed

Booster: Just checking myself in on Facebook."

Booster plays with an app he downloaded onto his phone.

Alan Scott: "We're in a galatic bar, thousands of miles from Earth, who's going to know..."

Alan is stopped by a loud beeping sound from Super Mario Bros.

Booster: Ha! Ted liked it and said "LOL"

Skeets: I liked your status as well, sir.

Booster laughs and continues looking at his phone.

Rip: This is not the time for fun and...

Rip is cut off by Alan, pointing off, they have found him.

Mystery Man: What d'you want?

Says the figure covered in darkness.

Rip: We need your help. Someone is messing with the time stream.

The Shadow leans back.

Mystery Man: And I'm supposed to give a crap?

Alan Scott: You should. Whoever is messing with the time stream is trying to bring an end to existence.

Mystery Man: Maybe I don't like existing.

Rip: Look, we've came a very long way, and we need your help. We'll pay you whatever you ask.

Mystery Man: Your Earth money has no value to me. No, I want something else.

Alan Scott: What is it you want?

Mystery Man: What do I want? I want to be able to wake up in the morning, and sniff some flowers. I want to hear husks of backs being broken as I wake up in the morning, and for a fresh pot of cammsmilk to usher me into the day.

The team poses and looks and the mystery man in shock. The Man laughs.

Mystery Man: HA! I'm just jossing yah. But you do have something the Main Man wants.

Alan Scott: And what's that?

Mystery Man: Which one of yah is the owner eh that ship yah came in?

Rip steps forward.

Rip: I am.

Mystery Man: If I do this for you, and save all of time and space, you have to do this for me.

Rip leans into the shadows. Rip comes out of the shadow, his face turned white.

Rip: Yes. If you helped us. I will fix that for you.

Booster looks up from his phone.

Booster: Do what? Is this something I should know about. Skeets?

Skeets: Erm, sir. As they say in this century "I'm not going to touch that with a ten foot pool"

Mystery Man: So we have a deal?

Rip: Yes. You'll get your wish. You know, what you're asking is barbaric.

Mystery Man: Hey, what can I say. When you're the Main Man...

Mystery Man leans forward, to reveal himself as Lobo.

Lobo: You likes to do things a certain way. Let's get off this fraggin bastich!

The team leaves, with new member. The last Czarnian, Lobo.

lobo-dc-comics.jpg

Totes going for the official Justice League title here.

Of everyone, you and Dan have the most traditional League.

So, the new fun part is waiting to see how long until someone breaks down and picks Barry Allen or Hal Jordan. Will they last as long as Cyclops did? Who knows?

Also, Resurrection Man. Awesome.

Aristotle “Tot” Rodor was a calm, patient man. Through his various experiences with The Question, he had seen and done a fair few things, and it took a lot shake him. The large green man, screaming on his lawn, waving a sword around? That definitely shook him.

For his part, Frankenstein was almost as surprised as the old professor. When SHADEnet had tracked one of the mysterious weapons to Hub City, Frank wasn't surprised. When SHADEnet traced the weapon to a modest, two story ranch style home about ten miles outside the city, Frank was a little more miffed. So miffed that he ripped the gate from it's hinges and threw it some distance into the garden. From there, he announced his presence as he often did.

Frankenstein: Fools! Come face justice! The prince of vengeance calls for you!

Tot stepped onto his porch. The fatherly looking old man, peering from behind a pair of black rimmed glasses was clearly not what Frankenstein expected.

Tot: I've got plenty of justice to face, son, but I don't think you're the one to give it to me.

Frank sheathed his sword, but kept his left hand close to his steam gun.

Frankenstein: What treachery is this? I have traced the weapon to your home, old man. Bring it to me and face your punishment!

Tot smirked.

Tot: You're a superhero, looking for those weapons? Charlie is too. He'll be home soon, then you two can talk it out.

Frank growled.

Tot: Come on in, have a cup of coffee. We'll wait for him inside.

Frank's hand went to his sword.

Frankenstein: Melmoth's Bane waits for no man!

Miles away, in Vic Sage's blue Pontiac GTO, Jason Todd was less than amused at the handcuffs around his hands. He sat in Sage's backseat, grumbling. The Question and the Huntress, sat in the front seat. Sage, while driving, held his cellphone to his ear.

Question: Dammit. Tot isn't answering his phone.

Huntress: You worried?

Question: I left him at home with that alien gun, who knows who's looking for it.

Question turned on his blinker and as he turned into Rodor's driveway, he saw that the gate had been torn down. Fear filled the Faceless Avenger. Utilizing some fast heel-toe work, he slid the car in front of the house, racing out as he called back to Huntress.

Question: Get Todd into the house, as quick as you can. We may need him uncuffed.

Question raced across the porch, hand reaching the door handle. He shoved through the door, ready for anything, inside he found...

Frankenstein and Tot seated at the kitchen table, genially enjoying coffee.

Frankenstein: I think calling Satan a hero is something of a misnomer, Milton was attempting--

The Question stopped dead.

Question: What the hell is this?

Tot stood, smiling broadly.

Tot: Charlie! This is Frankenstein. He works for the Super Human...

Frankenstein: Super-Human Advanced Defense Executive. SHADE.

Tot: Right, SHADE. He's looking for the same weapons you are. I told him that I think you and your friends ought to pool your resources.

Frank looked up quizzically.

Frankenstein: Friends?

With that, a crossbow bolt flew through the doorway and sank into Frankenstein's arm.

Todd: It's Solomon Grundy! Uncuff me, I can take him!

Vic shouted.

Question: It's not Grundy! Everyone shut up!

Everyone did.

Question: Guys, this is Frankenstein. Yes. The Frankenstein. From the book, apparently. He's a super-government agent or something and he's apparently going to help us figure out this gun running thing.

Frankenstein pulled the arrow out of his arm, and smiled.

Frankenstein: She reminds me of my wife...

Todd: Your wife shot you?

Frankenstein: Repeatedly... We're... seperated.

Eager to change the subject, The Question spoke.

Question: Frank, this is Jason Todd, aka--

Frankenstein: The Red Hood. She's Helena Bertinelli, the Huntress. And you're The Question, Charles ...Victor... Zsas aka Vic Sage.

Todd: How'd you know that?

Frankenstein: SHADEnet. It's helpful, it directly downloaded your dossiers into my brain while you were talking.

Huntress: Does anyone else feel a little violated?

Frankenstein: ...I tend to have that effect on people.

DC-Frankenstein-Agent-of-SHADE.jpg

Frankenstein is exactly who you think he is. Created from corpses by a mad scientist in the 1800's, he sank below the waves in the arctic. But the story didn't end there, years later, Frank rose again, and became one of the greatest adventurers of the 20th century. He fought in every major war, and slew beasts from here to Mars and back.. Now, Frank is the premier agent of the Super Human Advanced Defense Executive, and carries the sword of the archangel Michael. Anything that stands in his way will find out why he's called the Prince of Vengeance.

Zatanna: This is a really...REALLY bad idea.

Captain Marvel: You know, I gotta agree, Doc. How in the name of Atlas are we going to be able to control him?

Fate: He is quite literally a different person than the last time you encountered him.

Capt. Marvel: Well, yeah, but couldn't we say that about every time we've seen him?

Zatanna: And I wouldn't exactly call him a "man", either. By the way, you know he's kinda resistant to spells and mysticism, right?

Fate: That's precisely why I want him on our side. Trust me, I can be very convincing.

[They approach a cave with crudely constructed warning signs that say "dO NOt eNTer!!!", "kEEp OWT" and so on. The rotting signs were probably scribbled in blood. The three heroes stand at the entrance to the cave and Fate steps forward. The sounds of a deep snore can be heard.]

Capt. Marvel: I don't get it. Why is he in a cave? Doesn't he normally take refuge in marshlands?

Fate: I suspect this cave might be something familiar to him, buried deep under the many layers, subconsciouses, and personalities he has assumed over the many decades.

Zatanna: So...was there a plan here?

[Fate sends a bright flash of light soaring deep into the cave. After several seconds of silence, a colossal roar is heard and several thunderous footsteps grow louder and louder as a mammoth creature stands before the trio.]

Zatanna: Oh, crap...

Fate: Everyone remain calm and do not threaten him. Hello, Solomon.

[solomon Grundy stands still and breathes heavily. He could erupt into a rampage at any moment.]

Fate: I see you are not in the mood for pleasantries.

[He waves his arm and in his hand appears a bag of gold. Fate tosses the gold at his feet and Grundy calms down.]

Fate: I sense you are able to speak, Grundy. Please do.

Grundy: Grundy not know why Helmet Man here. Grundy not care.

Captain Marvel: [whispering] Gold??? That was your plan to keep him calm? GOLD?!

Zatanna: Legend says that Grundy was originally a man named Cyrus Gold who lusted after it and wound up being killed because of it.

Grundy: LONG-HAIR LADY NOT KNOW GRUNDY!!!

Fate: Grundy!!! Listen to me! I know the rage that boils inside you, that fuels your very being, that makes you want to destroy everything. Yes, you love gold, but what you really want is something much more precious--your soul!

Grundy: [calming down again] .......................Grundy want soul back. Grundy not know where soul is!!!

Fate: Your soul is in the void, but I believe it can be found! We have friends who can help you. I can help you. I just have but one request.

Grundy: ......

Fate: The fate of the world is at stake and we believe you can help us immensely. Join us in our battle for the world.

Grundy: Grundy not want fight. Grundy tired.

Fate: Grundy, I know why you live in this cave instead of Slaughter Swamp. I sense that your many reincarnations are starting to become fluid and you can remember bits and pieces of your many pasts. This cave is a peaceful place for one of your past lives. I wish not to disturb it. Please, Grundy, help us fight the chaos lord, and I will guarantee your soul will be returned to you.

Zatanna/Capt. Marvel: What?!

Fate: I swear to you this day, Grundy, I will deliver your soul back to you, where it rightfully belongs.

Grundy: [leaning down towards Fate, who remains stoic] If Helmet Man lie to Grundy...Grundy rip off Helmet Man's head.

[Fate nods.]

Grundy: Grundy will help Helmet Man, Long-Hair Lady and Red Man. Grundy need sleep. [He walks back into the cave.]

Fate: Thank you, Grundy. We will return when we are ready.

[The heroes teleport away, back to Fate's tower.]

Zatanna: Are you insane??? You know you cannot possibly keep the promise you made to him! And even if we somehow manage to defeat Mordru, Grundy will find out you lied to him and he will eviscerate you!

Fate: If we don't defeat Mordru, this is all a moot argument anyway.

Captain Marvel: That's a positive attitude...

Fate: Grundy is not likely to survive the battle anyway.

Zatanna: What...?

Fate: Something I neglected to mention back there was that I could sense that Grundy's cellular structure is slowly degenerating, as it often does. But this time is different. The mystic forces that constantly resurrect him are degrading. That's why Grundy is starting to remember bits and pieces of his past lives. I'm guessing that within a week at most, Grundy will probably cease to exist altogether. He is merely fighting on our side as magic-resistant muscle.

Captain Marvel: Are you kidding me?? How could you do something like that? Monster or not, he is a living being...of sorts...and you're using him as cannon fodder for a fight against the greatest mystic threat in the universe?

Zatanna: And furthermore, what if your intuitions are wrong? Let's say we win and Grundy survives. What then?

Fate: I have survived for generations. I do not fear death. You two have both been members of the Justice League. You don't fear death, either. You're both willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the universe are you not?

Zatanna/Capt. Marvel: ..............

Fate: Indeed. Now, shall we continue our recruitment?

Solomon_Grundy_3.jpg

"No! Absolutely not, Wally. No. Way. Period."

"You're not the one making decisions, Max."

"But this, this is crazy. This guy and his retarded friends got bested by a French night school teacher. So did you for that matter. Christ, what the fuck was I thinking?"

Flash, Max and Batgirl - clad in the purple Kasumi costume strutted through the front door of the Beer n' Bowl surveying the surroundings.

"Anything I can get you?" the busty old waitress said as she haphazardly tossed soiled ashtrays onto a tray.

"Scotch. Seventeen of them."

"Max! No thanks, ma'am. We're just looking for a friend."

"Make it eighteen of them..."

They saunted to the booth in the back, where the burly, black-haired man sat drawing something indiscernible on the table with condensation from his pint glass.

"Evening, Paul."

Leaning forward on the table, Paul Booker smirked, his head lolling on his shoulders. "Flash! Nice black costume. Hey Bat-mole. We getting the Elite squad back together? If so, why's the suit here?"

"A certain someone knows all about what we did with Bhat."

"We were cleared of that. It was the bug bitch who did it."

"More like a certain someone knows how we smeared his name by making it look like he was involved."

He sat up straight, seemingly sobered by a single sentence.

"Guess we are getting the team back together, huh?"

"Well," Flash said, "I actually want you to recruit a few of your friends."

364096-130045-major-disaster.JPG

Paul Booker, Kasumi and Flash turned to walk out of the bar as Max downed a shot of whiskey that clearly wasn't scotch.

"With him involved," Max said, "I can't see how this could amount to anything other than a Major Disaster. Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!"

A Green Lantern outpost in the middle of Sector 2735. There's only one Lantern there and one friend sharing coffee or at least the local equivalent. Donna decides not to ask for the recipe.

"Didn't we try this already?" the Green Lantern says.

"I'm not sure. It was a pretty crappy year, like we were counting down to something but it just kinda fizzled out," Donna replies.

"So, what happened to the Monitors anyway?"

Donna glances at the history orb.

"After their Final Crisis, they just disappeared. I came across the Orrery of the Multiverse and that's when I discovered the irregularities spreading through it like a plague. Kyle, I need your help on this," Donna says, touching Kyle Rayner's face. He recoils slightly, starting to look away.

"Listen, things are complicated right night. I mean, really complicated. Did I mention that during the entire Black Lantern thing I got attacked by a Black Lantern Fridge?"

"You're the best Green Lantern I know. You've traveled through the Multiverse with me before and I need someone I can trust. Considering something I need to do, I really need someone I can trust," Donna shakes her head, rubbing her temples.

"I can always call Hal-"

"Dear Hera, No! Did I ever tell you about the time he tried to talk me into sleeping with him?" Donna says, arching her eyebrow.

"I think he does that with every girl."

"It was my husband's funeral." Donna slams her hand on the counter, breaking it. Kyle looks at.

"You're tense. What's making you so tense?"

"Not what, who. I'm... Suffering Sapho, I've looked at the probabilities, there's only one person I can recruit. I need you with me to keep an eye on him," Donna says.

"Fine, you got me. Now tell me who has you in such a worry?"

1000px-Kyle_Rayner_06.jpg

Kyle Rayner is one of the four Green Lanterns of Sector 2814. In addition to being skilled with the use of his power ring, he is also a skilled artist, great when you wield a weapon that is only limited by your own imagination.

END OF ROUND THREE

Superman looked up. "Did you talk to him, Constantine?"

"Yeah. I'm still deciding what I think."

"What do you mean?"

"His edges are rough. He knows street crime. That's handy; you haven't paid nearly enough attention to that in the past."

"And...?"

"And, he's incredibly fucking annoying."

He decided to ignore the language. "You're not hearing me disagree with you. However, he's far more powerful than you probably realize."

"Powerful?" sniffed the Thanagarian, as he entered the room. "I wasn't aware that the ability to fetch a mouse from inside a supercomputer without opening it came in all that useful."

"Then you haven't been paying attention, Katar. He's invulnerable, incredibly agile, virtually impervious to telepathy, and by all accounts immortal."

"He is also," Constantine interjected, taking a drag, '"batshit crazy."

"Well... I'm sure he can hold it together long enough to do what needs doing."

The Hawkman raised an eyebrow. "How sure?"

Superman avoided his gaze. "... reasonably sure."

Plastic Man

2541676-plastic_man_martian_threat.jpg

Patrick "Eel" O'Brian possesses complete and total control over his entire body, capable of stretching, molding, and altering his form to virtually any shape and size imaginable.

BEGINNING OF ROUND FOUR

"Whatcha doin'?"

Hawkman rolled his eyes. "Working."

"On what?"

"Work, O'Brian."

"Need help?"

"No."

"A little help?"

"No."

"What about -"

"Here's an idea. Go see if the magician needs anything."

"I did. He sent me here."

"Did he."

"Yeah. So whatcha -"

"O'Brian, I swear to God I'm going to take a warhammer and test the limits of your endurance if you don't leave me alone absolutely immediately."

"What's that you're poking at?"

Sigh. "It's offworld tech. You wouldn't understand it."

"I might."

"All right. What do you think it is?"

Plastic Man looked it over. "It's... um... some sort of sandwich warmer. With stickers on it."

"Thanks for playing. You can leave now." As Eel finally slinked off to find someone else to torment, Katar had to admit to himself that he was growing frustrated at his own inability to puzzle the object out. Almost without his seeing, help arrived seemingly out of the ether, expanding from subatomic size...

"Hey there, Katar. Long time. Clark gave me a call and asked me to poke at that.."

The Atom (Ray Palmer)

atom_phone.jpg

Tapping into the power of a white dwarf star to control his size and weight, Professor Ray Palmer is one of, of not the foremost physicist in the world. A dangerous combatant at any size, his genius-level intellect and background in any number of scientific fields are his true assets.