The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, we're not to that point just yet. It's just the assholes at both ends of the hall getting drunk on an almost nightly basis at this point. Though, last week they threw up in the sinks. And it's still there from last night, which means either that the janitor hasn't come, or that they're refusing to take care of it (which I wouldn't blame them for at all).

Yeah, I hear horror stories from being in halls. I was in myself for 6 months but never really had these issues. Or maybe the drinking blocked it out of my memory.

I'm really tired of the generation above me not embracing technology. If your job calls for you to know how to use something as simple as Internet Explorer, an e-mail client, and a printer, but you're flustered by the computer doing more than word processing, I have one word for you: retire!

Furthermore, the "lend" feature on the forthcoming Nook will not hurt authors. A teacher / author in the department just tried to convince me of this. In her words, "If you can lend a digital copy, that's one less person who'll buy it." To which I said, "Maybe, but I can just as easily give you a copy of a paper book right now." To this she became flustered: "But, yeah, okay... sure, but then you'll have all these copies floating around." Never mind that books lent via the Nook have a 14-day lifespan. After that, they're erased from the borrower's device -- which she only admitted under her breath as she turned away.

I'm really tired of the generation above me not embracing technology. If your job calls for you to know how to use something as simple as Internet Explorer, an e-mail client, and a printer, but you're flustered by the computer doing more than word processing, I have one word for you: retire!

Furthermore, the "lend" feature on the forthcoming Nook will not hurt authors. A teacher / author in the department just tried to convince me of this. In her words, "If you can lend a digital copy, that's one less person who'll buy it." To which I said, "Maybe, but I can just as easily give you a copy of a paper book right now." To this she became flustered: "But, yeah, okay... sure, but then you'll have all these copies floating around." Never mind that books lent via the Nook have a 14-day lifespan. After that, they're erased from the borrower's device -- which she only admitted under her breath as she turned away.

Yeah, its like "Digital copies will ruin music!" when really everyone's been making tapes since the 80's. These reaction always preceed a big boom in an industry that is benefiting from a new technology. There has been no technology added to an entertainment industry that has negatively effected it in the long run, they just made the producer more creative and they would up making even more.

I'm not meaning to imply that all people of older generations scoff at new technologies. (As noted before, my mom and her husband love the Wii, and they're 51 and 65 respectively. My mom also as an iPod and cannot wait to create Christmas-themed playlists for her parties later this year.) But it bothers me when people can't properly do their jobs because they refuse to move forward, and when people in creative fields moan over new ways to get their work out there.

I drive up there once a month to meet with a friend of mine. We used to be in a band together and he does acoustic sets there all the time. Lately I've gotten into the habit of joining in, and this time I should have just told him I was sick.

While trying to work on a project for college, I realised I didn't know what the fuck I was doing, and with this one class, stressing me out, when I have plenty of other classes to worry about, so, I e-mailed my lecturer and told her the truth that I didn't really know what I was doing.

Wished I had done that earlier, it would be less of a problem to admit failure a few weeks ago.

My LCS is having a sale of everything 25% off, like I said in the Good news thread. I have tons of issues on hold at the store. If was able to get to the store today I would be able to clear my holds and buy all those comics for 25% percent off, plus I would be able to get those an extra 10% off for being a member at my LCS. All these comics that I have on hold for 35% off, each with a bag an board, but no. By the end of the month the guy there will have to shelve all of them. My bad news is that I was too busy this weekend to go to my LCS and clear my holds for a very good deal, and maybe get other stuff for 25% off, like trades or something. This sale is ending tomorrow, and I know I am too busy to go to the store, it just sucks. I am usually not this busy, Why did they have to have this sale this weekend?!

I am fucking sick of Facebook! All damn week I've hardly been able to access my account. But oddly enough, I can use the Rape Whistle Ronald account. Huh...?

My guess is Dahl is engaging in an act of subterfuge. He has to be the one who has constantly been fucking Facebook up for the last week or so.